Looking for good family sized thermos recommendations

Harald Hansen

Explorer
If you make an insulation sleeve (out of a cheap sleeping pad or whatever), it will also protect the thermos from bumps. A dented thermos isn't much good.

lam396

Adventurer
Does anyone know how well the 64oz Hyroflask compares to a Stanley or Thermos brand? I have a 20oz insulated Klean Kanteen and its great for a single person's coffee but not really big enough to share so I have been considering one of the larger Hydroflasks.

Wyowanderer

Explorer
I've been using a Thermos brand quart size bottle for years. It has a glass liner, so it can be broken, but there seems to be no end of replacements on ebay and garage sales for pretty cheap. I've never actually had to replace a liner, though.

BIGGUY

Adventurer
I have the green Stanley thermos and the wide mouth food bottles/thermoses and have no problem with hot drinks staying hot for a long time with preheating and for food I pre-cool with a few ice cubes and cold water.

BIGGUY

Adventurer
I have the green Stanley thermos and the wide mouth food bottles/thermoses and have no problem with hot drinks staying hot for a long time with preheating and for food or cold drinks I pre-cool with a few ice cubes and cold water.

I bought 2 of the 20 oz hydroflasks at the overland expo. Now I wont use anything else. They are simply amazing. I am sure the larger one will work just as well. Here in AZ we are trying to keep things cool, instead of hot, but the priciple is the same (heat transfer). We can use the same ice, literally, all day in the hydroflask, even when hard sun on them at times. Love 'em.

matt s

Explorer
Preheating is a must. I thought it even says so on the instructions. My good old green stanley keeps things scalding hot all day if I put boiling water in it for 10 minutes or so before throwing in the coffee.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94