Looking for good family sized thermos recommendations

nwoods

Expedition Leader
My wife has gotten rid of all our thermos's, after having been continually disappointed with them. So now I'm looking for this magical cylinder that will well and truly keep a sizable quanity of liquid HOT for 4 to 8 hours.

Does such a thing exist?

We've tried the elcheapo plastic Thermos brand and a few steel Stanley thermos I liberated from my Navy days (about 20 years ago), but neither style did any better than luke warm or tepid after a few hours in the winter high desert chill.

Snow Peak's and the like are too small. I'm looking for something that is about 1.5 liters (or larger) in size.

Suggestions?

chasingdreams

Adventurer
Maybe try looking into a 12 volt thermos that you can just plug into the rig while your on the go? I'm not familiar with them,... just thought I would chime in.

sasaholic

Adventurer
id also like to know this as my dad is always complaining about warm coffee when were hunting. id like to get him a good quality thermos that will last a while and keep his coffee hot till atleast lunch time

wjeeper

I cant comment on anything offered today but I do have a larger thermos that is circa 1950 -1960 I got from my grandpa that works better than anything I have seen on the market today. It is lined with some sort of ceramic lining and is rather thick. It keeps coffee warm most of the day long. I couldnt even tell you what brand it is since the logo has been worn off longer than I have been alive :Wow1:

Sorry thats not of much help, but I would lean towards a thermos with some sort of a ceramic liner and is really thick walled.

Chili

Explorer
I don't know if they are still made but we used to have one like this below. It worked great. During the winter we would take it with us filled with hot chocolate when we went to cut our Christmas trees up in WA. It kept the beverages steaming hot for hours.

AAAADMIMCT0AAAAAAFALyg.jpg

Chili

Explorer

brice

Are you preheating the thermos? My Stanley will keep coffee hot all day if I preheat, but only 2-3 hours if I don't.

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
Ditto on Nissan Thermos

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Thermos-Nissan-Stainless-Bottle-Folding/dp/B000U8D0H2/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1297799863&sr=8-9"]Amazon.com: Thermos Nissan 61 Ounce Stainless Steel Bottle w/ Folding Handle: Kitchen & Dining[/ame]

Pre-heat this bad boy and you should be good to go for a while.

If it's completely full it will stay hot much longer than if it's only 1/2 or 1/3 full.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
This is the Stanley that we had a few of, that my wife has rejected as inadequate for the task: http://www.shopstanley-pmi.com/detail/TCL+10-01289-001

p117452z.jpg

So I followed up on ddog45's suggestion and called Thermos and asked them point blank: What is your best performing Thermos in the ~2liter range.

The answer was exactly what ddog suggested!
http://www.thermos.com/product_details.aspx?ProdID=493&CatCode=BEVG&q=
At 64 oz the size is great, and will stow well with the constant diameter, and the rep said its rated for 24 hours of insulating properties.

NCD184P_Enlargement.png

This was my fallback:
http://www.thermos.com/product_details.aspx?ProdID=272&CatCode=BEVG&q=

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Are you preheating the thermos? My Stanley will keep coffee hot all day if I preheat, but only 2-3 hours if I don't.

No! It never occurred to me to preheat them. Put in hot water for a bit, dump it out, then add your drink of choice?

allnew2me

A double-wall vacuum bottle is about the best you can get, and Stanley or Thermos are both good. While there are still glass-lined bottles out there, stainless is the way to go. Preheating is a must, as the cold bottle will just suck the heat out of the liquid and drastically reduce the time that your drink will stay warm. My 2 quart Stanley, properly preheated, will hold the heat most of a day if left full. If you use it over a period of time the heat will not remain as long as if it were full, similar to an ice chest or fridge.
To preheat, fill it with boiling water and let it sit, then empty and fill. Also make sure both tops are on tight, as any air contact will reduce heat also. If you have it filled with hot, keep it in the vehicle instead of in the bed of a truck or anywhere it is exposed to colder temps.

Last edited:

Flagster

Expedition Leader

Stumbled on this thread researching thermos bottles...
I have a small thermos brand which without preheating keeps liquids hot (coffee, tea) for a good 6-8 hours...
The new Stanley brand bottles I have purchased recently will not last more than 2 hours...I sent both back which were replaced but the replacements are just as poor.
I seem to remember the Stanley bottles of my parents era working much better. Guess I need to start preheating and see if this makes a difference...

dumprat

Adventurer
I bought an old stainless stanly thermos at a garage sale for $1. Properly preheated it will serve lip scalding coffee 5 or 6 hours later. Never overlook garage sales.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94