Campmor Outdoor Tents from South Africa via Equipt

Utah KJ

Free State of Florida
As I read through the product description on Paul's site and Nigel's review, I find a couple of things that give me pause.

1: these tents are designed for permanent / semi-permanent sites
2: you need to wear glove to set this up

Both of these things seem to translate into a PITA to set up... especially for one person.

Equipt

Supporting Sponsor Presenting Sponsor of Overland
I can definitely see how reading those items could raise concern. Allow me to add a little context to their meaning.

These tents are constructed of materials and craftsmanship that allow them to be used as permanent or semi-permanent structures. The very same material is used to create Safari Lodges in the wilds of Africa. Take a look at the videos created by our friends in Australia. One of the tests they have done with these tents is to set up field of Safari Hennie Bows on an island in Sydney Harbor. I believe for use of guests to the State Park. They have been set up for over 18 months solid, without evidence of fading, deterioration or breakage of any kind. They are serious pieces of equipment. But they are very portable as well, and used in any instance a portable tent is required. They set up in minutes, and are very compact when stowed.

The suggestion of gloves is simply that. The reason is the spring steel clips that suspend the tent material from solid spring steel poles. Both are over built for long life and extended use. The clips are very tight the first several times you set up the tent, as the should be. But after a couple time of securing to the tent pole, they become easier to use. They retain their tight fit as well. I have never used a pair of gloves to set up this tent, and personally don't believe they are necessary. But, to each his own.

Both of these comments should add credence to the fact that the Campmor Outdoor Safari Ground Tents are robust enough for any terrain or weather condition, and will last longer than any other tent we could find.

Thanks for bringing these comments to our attention.

cheers,

Utah KJ

Free State of Florida
I don't see a mention of it on the site so could you tell me if these tents are considered "4 Season"?

Equipt

Supporting Sponsor Presenting Sponsor of Overland
The Campmor Outdoor Safari tent line is the most stout tent I have ever seen. Definitely 4 season capable. Their designed for permanent and semi-permanent use, in all types of conditions.

Cheers,

Avin01

Our financial plan for an entire tent setup is sensible, will investigate turbo tents. Getting wet as you said is something I stress over since I have heard stories about individuals awakening sopping wet from tents that don't stop the downpour getting through however I had no clue it was on account of the fly sheet touched the fundamental tent. Going to pack that little jewel away and ensure I recall that. Going to turn upward the Campmaster Lagoona 5 now and see what it's similar to.

BuckBlue90

Bought the Campmor Safari Bella Visa bow tent while we were in Africa. Duraproof (Oz) fabric. Thorn and waterproof.
Then when we moved back to the wet coast (Vancouver) we had an awing sent over.
Very regularly used since 2005 and has never let a drop of moisture in. Its also slightly permeable so no condensation.
They are heavy though, but built for a purpose. Overnight we use just the tent and as a basecamp or extended bad weather we put up both.

Attachments

• 2015 053.JPG
    2015 053.JPG
    431.4 KB · Views: 22
  • 2015 083.JPG
    2015 083.JPG
    301.6 KB · Views: 25

Accrete

Explorer
I viewed several videos of the safari line of tents and like what I see.

Visiting equip's site I see no mention of being able to order a second "wind break"...I think that would be nice since there are times having both sides covered while the front edge of awning was butted up to rig would make sense.

It certainly isn't a "30 second up/down" tent like the OzTents advertise, though it looks much more robust in all areas IMO.

Thom

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior