Close one

matt s

Explorer
Lost a front wheel bearing on the way home tonight. Truck crossed lanes and I was in the center turn lane before I got it under control. Some how the wheel stayed on and I limped it a few miles home on back roads.

The inner bearing was completely welded to the spindle, yet still spinning somewhat freely on the outside. That likely was what saved me a tow. It never smoked or froze up. It took a torch and 3 hours of no fun to get it apart. Ended up cutting the rotor flange off and then cutting out the bearing guts. So the spindle and rotor are toast. I did manage not to ruin the axle in the process.

So new parts and some shop time in my future.

Really just happy the wheel stayed on and I stayed out of on coming traffic. I was doing about 50 when it happened. No warning just a screech followed but a bang or two and some stunt driving. :Wow1:

Bearing was less than two years old and when I pulled the locking hubs and retaining nut off it was all full of clean grease.

Greggk

ZombieSoldier
wow that was crazy bro. glad you are all good

just as a rule of thumb on my trucks, i replace the front wheel bearings everytime i do the brakes, because i am already there, and they are too easy to do (for the most part)... just saves me a lot of headaches down the road, because i dont wanna risk one going out on me while wheeling

chasespeed

Explorer
wow that was crazy bro. glad you are all good

just as a rule of thumb on my trucks, i replace the front wheel bearings everytime i do the brakes, because i am already there, and they are too easy to do (for the most part)... just saves me a lot of headaches down the road, because i dont wanna risk one going out on me while wheeling

Gregg, while thats fine and great, you must not have had to do the brakes on that Super Duty yet.

On Matts truck, its easy, and cheap.... relatively.

On my, or your truck, its expensive, and can be a real PITA.

I HATE unit bearings...

Matt, good driving. Coulda been a lot worse as you know. Wonder if the race broke?, or maybe the cage? Kinda strange.....

Chase

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
First of all Matt, I am really happy you did not kill yourself. If you had come into incoming trafic, well then things would have got really ugly!:yikes:
I find that packing a wheel bearing with grease is a science in itself. It is super important that you push the grease into the bearing, and also that the bearing does not get too much grease. But I am sure you know all that. Lets hope for a speedy repair so you can get out wheeling again.:)

Greggk

ZombieSoldier
you are right i havent done them on my superduty yet. i used to do them on my bronco and E150 van though every time i did brakes

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
Glad you handled it okay!

You didn't have any looseness or noise before it failed?

If I could replace bearings by themselves I would do them frequently too. Unfortunately my truck has hub/bearing units that are non-serviceable and cost $250 or so each. I killed one wheel bearing before going through a set of brakes anyway though...

alosix

Expedition Leader
I have at least one I need to do on my M725 (let that sink in a little... :) )... Been waiting for rcv to get some CV shafts for the axle I have in there though.

Glad to hear you managed to get it back under control safely.

chasespeed

Explorer
you are right i havent done them on my superduty yet. i used to do them on my bronco and E150 van though every time i did brakes

No worries.... you're going to pay at least 200 for a QUALITY bearing....

Yeah, on the D44, its cheap, and easy.....

Sorry for the off topic chatter... I am going back to my corner.

Chase

matt s

Explorer
Well I got it back together. Tracking down the spindle was tough as they only made that spindle for two years. I discovered the mystical 3rd bearing people have talked about on these old chevy's. There is a bearing on the inner spindle that I imagine most people don't even know is there as they don't pull the spindle to service the wheel bearings. Little test drive and all seems well. I will put the cap and check it all after a couple of days to be sure.

As to servicing these regularly they are easy enough to repack but the races can be a real pain if you are going to throw all new parts in every year or so. Wouldn't be too expensive though as long as you don't have buy a hub and spindle like I did today. Around $150 for all the bearings seals etc. That's for both sides and Alaska prices. So likely more like $100 elsewhere.

I don't know what went out as it was all just disintegrated in there. No warning, at least not anything that I noticed and my buddies make fun of me for being so anal about every little rattle and vib the truck makes.

D

Deleted member 12023

Gregg, while thats fine and great, you must not have had to do the brakes on that Super Duty yet.

On Matts truck, its easy, and cheap.... relatively.

On my, or your truck, its expensive, and can be a real PITA.

I HATE unit bearings...

Matt, good driving. Coulda been a lot worse as you know. Wonder if the race broke?, or maybe the cage? Kinda strange.....

Chase

Yup, I am with you. I just did mine 2 weeks ago when I had one go out. Luckily I was only doing 25mph. I got out and looked at the truck and the whole wheel was cocked into the inside. $550 later I have two new unit bearings...what a pain in the rear.

and my buddies make fun of me for being so anal about every little rattle and vib the truck makes.

Don't ever apologize for being alert to little noises and rattles. You know your truck best and what it should...and shouldn't...sound like. :sombrero:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz