Fit of autohome Columbus and Maggolina RTT for someone 6'1"?

livingmoving

Hi, first post here (lurking is easier... the posts here are informative entertaining and have too many photos of vehicles gear and campsites!) :elkgrin:

After a few days of reading, I'm looking at the hard shell Maggiolina and Columbus rooftop tents. My need is a simple night's sleep and maybe some day resting, or time sitting. I just need enough space to be comfortable to lay down and sit cross-legged.

I read someone 6'1" said the lift mechanisms at both ends of the Maggiolina got in his way. I've been trying to recreate the tent interiors from cardboard to try out, but cardboard and actual tents likely feel different (thankfully :))

For anyone here close to 6'1" and with any of the Maggiolina or Columbus models..

-how is the comfort for laying flat, and sitting cross-legged.. and what model do you have?

-and does anyone have the exact measurement for your Maggiolina model's inside headroom?
I'm wanting to know if the measurements on the authomeus.com site are the exact numbers for the inside dimensions. According there, the most headroom is in the Grand Tour (96cm/ 37.8"). The Magg Safari has a XL +8" longer option, and the headroom is 36.2".

Last edited:

spressomon

Expedition Leader
5'10" and size 10.5's :coffeedrink: here...I owned a Maggiolina Grand Tour for a couple years. The GT has IIRC about 3" more height over the rear half. I'm a back and side sleeper...it was most comfortable for me when it was just me and I could sleep diagonally.

Otherwise the new AirTop would provide more useable length since it does not rely on the screw/scissor to raise/lower but hydraulic/air struts. Or go with the longer Maggiolina model...

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
Hi, first post here (lurking is easier... the posts here are informative entertaining and have too many photos of vehicles gear and campsites!) :elkgrin:

After a few days of reading, I'm looking at the hard shell Maggolina and Columbus rooftop tents. My need is a simple night's sleep and maybe some day resting, or time sitting. I just need enough space to be comfortable to lay down and sit cross-legged.

I read someone 6'1" said the lift mechanisms at both ends of the Maggolina got in his way. I've been trying to recreate the tent interiors from cardboard to try out, but cardboard and actual tents likely feel different (thankfully :))

For anyone here close to 6'1" and with any of the Maggolina or Columbus models..

-how is the comfort for laying flat, and sitting cross-legged.. and what model do you have?

-and does anyone have the exact measurement for your Maggolina model's inside headroom?
I'm wanting to know if the measurements on the authomeus.com site are the exact numbers for the inside dimensions. According there, the most headroom is in the Grand Tour (96cm/ 37.8"). The Magg Safari has a XL +8" longer option, and the headroom is 36.2".

I can answer your questions in terms of mattress length and headroom.

Mattress Dimensions

MAGGIOLINA SMALL - Airland, Extreme, Grand Tour, Safari: 47.2” x 3.1” x 72”
MAGGIOLINA SMALL Air Top - 48" x 3.1" X 80"
MAGGIOLINA MEDIUM - Airland, Grand Tour: 54” x 3.1” x 72”
MAGGIOLINA MEDIUM Air Top - 54" x 3.1" x 80"
MAGGIOLINA LARGE - Adventure, Airland, Grand Tour: 62.6” x 3.1” x 72”
MAGGIOLINA AirLand SMALL XLong: 47.2” x 3.1” x 79.3”
MAGGIOLINA AirLand MEDIUM XLong: 54” x 3.1” x 79.3”
COLUMBUS Variant SMALL: 47.2” x 2.6” x 81.3”
COLUMBUS Variant MEDIUM: 47.2” x 2.6” x 81.3”
COLUMBUS Variant LARGE: 63.2” x 2.6” x 82.9”
COLUMBUS Variant SMALL XLong: 48.4” x 2.6” x 89.8”
COLUMBUS Variant MEDIUM XLong: 54.7” x 2.6” x 89.8”

The 'open height' in the specs on the website is interior height, round to the nearest inch.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
I have the Columbus and it's great. It's especially nice to be able to stand up in it to put on clothes and get in and out.

The only drawback I can see is the lack of toe room. As mentioned, if you sleep on your back, straight down the tent, with your toes pointing straight up, they can hit the tent roof. Sleep on stomach or side, or sleep diagonally and there's no problem.

I also agree that the mattress is very good to excellent. A big improvement over the foldable mattress in my RTT.

WASURF63

Adventurer

After a few days of reading, I'm looking at the hard shell Maggolina and Columbus rooftop tents. My need is a simple night's sleep and maybe some day resting, or time sitting. I just need enough space to be comfortable to lay down and sit cross-legged.

I read someone 6'1" said the lift mechanisms at both ends of the Maggolina got in his way. I've been trying to recreate the tent interiors from cardboard to try out, but cardboard and actual tents likely feel different (thankfully :))

For anyone here close to 6'1" and with any of the Maggolina or Columbus models..

-and does anyone have the exact measurement for your Maggolina model's inside headroom?

Could have been me... I've owned both the Magg Med. Grand Tour, and the Columbus Variant XL. The Columbus Variant XL definately has enough space to extend your legs when sleeping flat (unless someone is near 7' tall :)), and enough sitting up/clothes changing room.
The Magg was warmer, did better in wind, and had a slightly more comfortable mattress.(Great 4-season RTT IMO).
At your height don't compromise on interior length. I'd say look more closely at one of the XLong versions in any model or the Airtop at least.

Good luck with your choice. You'll be very happy with your Autohome purchase and great customer service.

livingmoving

Thanks for the posts, knowing real experience and numbers sure beats the cardboard guessing.

The ability to kneel and even mostly stand up in the Columbus wins me over to that model I think. (if only there was a Maggiolina that was 4' tall or a model with a 1' pop-out roof so you could have a low and high ceiling :).

So for the Columbus, the 6'1" choices are to sleep lengthwise on your side or stomach or in the XL model, or sleep on your back at an angle.

Mattress Dimensions

COLUMBUS Variant SMALL: 47.2” x 2.6” x 81.3”
COLUMBUS Variant MEDIUM: 47.2” x 2.6” x 81.3”
COLUMBUS Variant LARGE: 63.2” x 2.6” x 82.9”
COLUMBUS Variant SMALL XLong: 48.4” x 2.6” x 89.8”
COLUMBUS Variant MEDIUM XLong: 54.7” x 2.6” x 89.8”

Does the Carbon have the same dimensions as the Variant?

Tdoggy

Maggiolina Tents

Does anyone know of a source to buy these used? The sticker is a bit much to swallow...

livingmoving

roof rack "fix kit" for Columbus Variant

Yes. The Columbus Carbon Fiber has the same dimensions as the Columbus Variant, but the Columbus CF is only available in small or medium.

Thanks..

I was also wondering about the "fix kit" roof rack for the Variant and specified Maggiolina models.
http://www.autohome.it/file_gb/columbus_variant.html

shown as being able to support 33 pounds (Variant).. and 44 pounds for the Maggiolina's. Enough for a lightweight canoe :)
http://www.autohome.it/file_gb/performances-test.html

Can the tent be opened with all of some of the cargo weight still attached.. on either the Columbus Variant, or the Maggiolina?

Attachments

• fix kit variant.jpg
    fix kit variant.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 295

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
Does anyone know of a source to buy these used? The sticker is a bit much to swallow...

These models sometimes show up on Craigslist and usually do not last very long before they are sold. The best way to buy one used is to keep looking and watch the classified section here and on other related BBSes.

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
Thanks..

I was also wondering about the "fix kit" roof rack for the Variant and specified Maggiolina models.
http://www.autohome.it/file_gb/columbus_variant.html

shown as being able to support 33 pounds (Variant).. and 44 pounds for the Maggiolina's. Enough for a lightweight canoe :)
http://www.autohome.it/file_gb/performances-test.html

Can the tent be opened with all of some of the cargo weight still attached.. on either the Columbus Variant, or the Maggiolina?

The top loading weights published on the Italian sites should be considered in light of the total maximum top loading specification for your rack system/vehicle combination. A small Columbus weighs about 93-95 lbs, and the piggy-back rack will add some top weight - maybe 8 lbs. or so. So the total is about 103 lbs. What is the weight limit for your rack and vehicle?

The weights listed on the Italian site site are the 'safe loads' that can be carried on the tent top when fitted with a rack. The Maggiolina should have no problem lifting the specified load. The Columbus has gas rams and may require some assistance to open when loaded with a load towards the top end of the specified weight range.

willyswagon

Adventurer
To the OP did you get the info you were looking for?
I'm 6' 3" and had to go with a Columbus XL.
The Maggiolina reg lengh in a small size was not long enough for me.
If you want some pics from inside the Columbus XL let me know.
I just switched it over to the trailer, so interior pics would not be a problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior