Steel OEM spares "unsafe"

Flagster

Expedition Leader
There is a thread rollin around TTORA suggesting that the toyota 16 hole OEM spare commonly used here on Expo rigs is unsafe for daily use...something about a yellow sticker (For temporary use only)...and the bead rusting off...my spare does not have a sticker although the truck is 6 years old (probably fell off a long time ago).

Question is:

1. Any truth to this?
2. Does anyone with a new toyota have this sticker on their spare?...

Was about to order 4 or these from TRDparts but may change my mind...

corax

Explorer
If a wheel is certified for highway use, then it is deemed safe. Where the "temporary" part usually comes in is when the tire itself is a slightly different size. Can you link the TTORA thread?

Any rim can be damaged by excessive rust, the fact that these spares are horizontal nearly 100% of the time (which doesn't help water draining off) might be a factor.

corax

Explorer
Yeah, I wouldn't worry about it - guy didn't really elaborate in his rust and "temporary use" reply. He doesn't even say if it was more than just surface rust (which wouldn't do much of anything) - my ARE steelies have surface rust starting to poke through at various spots and I have no doubts as to their integrity.

As far as the "temporary use only" sticker, I'd have to defer to someone that owns a Taco. You could also go down to your local dealer and stick your head under the rear of a new truck to see if it has a sticker, but I've only ever seen tires marked for temporary use, not wheels.

NM-Frontier

Explorer
I think I have seen FJ Cruisers with those wheels brand new on the lot, so Toyota must think they are OK. Unless they are different?

I have the Nissan ones on by Frontier, no issues so far. They did come with a yellow dot near the valve stem, but not a temp use only warning.

I would like know to more about this topic since I got a set.

maxama10

Welcome to Nevadafornia
Pretty sure when we dropped Josh's (sierrahsky) spare on his Tacoma his had that sticker and I thought it very odd. Might have been the tire though. Can't remember where it was stuck to, it was on the top though, a yellow sticker rectangular with rounded edges.

Flagster

Expedition Leader
I am going to try to hit up the dealer this weekend to see if I can see it on a "new" spare...

Greggk

ZombieSoldier
totally safe. he is probably confusing a fullsize spare with a "donut" spare... dont sweat it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz