ScanGaugeII

kcowyo

ExPo Original
Any user comments?

Peter Parks has a great review in the May/June '07 issue of 4WD Toyota Owner, of the ScanGaugeII -

A 3 in 1 automotive computer - Trip Computer - Digital Guages - Scan Tool

IMG_2009_withdims.jpg

I've been wanting a better way to monitor my fuel economy (with and without FWC loaded) and coolant temps. A voltage meter and scan tool would be a great bonus. I like that it is compact and can be moved easily between vehicles.

From a search here, it looks like we have at least two members currently using a ScanGaugeII. With this solution available at a decent price-point, this has moved up to the top of my to-do list.

Impressions, thoughts, helpful tips, buyer's remorse...?

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
I have one and I have been planning to do a full review on it for months. Unfortunately this one just got trumped by other things ;)

Excellent product overall. My favorite feature is probably the most simple one - the speed gauge. You can set the ScanGauge so that it can read speed with a +/- %. That means you can adjust, as an example, 6% fast a different tire size. Then all your measurements will be accurate with your bigger/smaller tires.

For fuel consumption measurement, the more detailed information you give the gauge the more accurate it is. No buyers remorse at all.

I am hoping that Linear-Logic releases an upgrade for it though. Toyota ECUs apparently monitor automatic transmission temp which the ScanGauge doesn't show. I was told they were planning on selling a USB cable with it so that owners can have more control over what gauges are visible.

One other note: the construction of the unit is very simple. It's very light and the buttons are not fancy at all. It's not ugly by any means, but it doesn't have the fancy soft touch buttons or special screens like on other products.

Pete

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
Yes, they are hard plastic buttons.

I'm trying to think of a way to describe the buttons. They fit a bit loose. Don't get me wrong, they work perfectly it's just that the design feels a bit old school compared to something that a company like Garmin would put out.

Pete

kcowyo

ExPo Original
mountainpete said:
You can set the ScanGauge so that it can read speed with a +/- %. That means you can adjust, as an example, 6% fast a different tire size. Then all your measurements will be accurate with your bigger/smaller tires.

I meant to ask about that, thanks Pete.

I noticed that it doesn't give tranny temps, which kind of bites since I would think that is one of the top 3 or 4 things everyone would want to watch more closely. I do think the distance & fuel to empty readings would be very beneficial under different driving conditions. I know newer vehicles come with 2 or more digital trip-meters but I only have one.

This will allow me to keep more accurate mileage counts if I can record a day's total mileage, within a longer trips total mileage but still "zero-out" an odometer between points of interest during the day. More accurate MPH and RPM displays might get me more disciplined towards the skinny pedal too.

So what does the open/closed loop feature do? Any thoughts as to what the possible additional rewritable codes that can be written, might be?

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
kcowyo said:
This will allow me to keep more accurate mileage counts if I can record a day's total mileage, within a longer trips total mileage but still "zero-out" an odometer between points of interest during the day. More accurate MPH and RPM displays might get me more disciplined towards the skinny pedal too.

Perfect use of the ScanGauge :safari-rig:

kcowyo said:
So what does the open/closed loop feature do? Any thoughts as to what the possible additional rewritable codes that can be written, might be?

Honestly, I don't know :p I know it tells me when the loop is open/closed, but I really don't know how I can use that information in the real world. I'm trying to figure out the re-writable codes myself. Haven't come across anyone really use that feature with a Toyota truck yet.

Pete

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
I love mine and I will say it has aleady paid for itself on my FJC with the fuel info since I keep my foot out of it more often.
Lots of fun data to play with.
I too would like to know tranny temps in our AZ heat.
For me I like the idea of being in the middle of nowhere and being able to read any check engine code I get to know how bad off I am.
enjoy
1leglance

LAW

Adventurer
mountainpete said:
Honestly, I don't know :p I know it tells me when the loop is open/closed, but I really don't know how I can use that information in the real world. I'm trying to figure out the re-writable codes myself. Haven't come across anyone really use that feature with a Toyota truck yet.

Pete
i dont have a scangauge but i use the open/closed loop and fuel trim readings to modify the fuel maps to keep the supercharger happy..

kcowyo

ExPo Original
I've got a TRD SC as well....:peepwall:

So LAW,can you explain a little more about what the loop program does and about fuel maps to keep the supercharger happy? My SC wants to be happy too.

I'm liking the idea of this tool more and more.....

LAW

Adventurer
kcowyo said:
I've got a TRD SC as well....:peepwall:

So LAW,can you explain a little more about what the loop program does and about fuel maps to keep the supercharger happy? My SC wants to be happy too.

I'm liking the idea of this tool more and more.....
big story... i have yet to grasp the full idea of the fuel maps.. just bits and pieces
i have the new URD 7th injector and AFR calibrator.. they still have the basemaps in them (although slightly modified) and it runs near perfect (10:1 afr's at full throttle) but i still have some timing issues

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
mountainpete said:
I have one and I have been planning to do a full review on it for months. Unfortunately this one just got trumped by other things ;)

Pete,
Important question for the Canadian users, can you display SI units?
Cheers,
P

HongerVenture

Adventurer
kcowyo said:
Any user comments?

Peter Parks has a great review in the May/June '07 issue of 4WD Toyota Owner, of the ScanGaugeII -

KC,
I saw this article as well and was hooked. I've always loved having extra information available to me and this seems to provide a lot of pertinent data. So why don't you buy one and let me know how it works in a T100 before I pick mine up. =)

Disappointing on the lack of reading for tranny temp... especially since I have a tranny temp gauge ready to install but no place to put it. I'd love to just have it taken care of by the ScanGauge rather than installing an additional gauge.

kcowyo

ExPo Original
HongerVenture said:
So why don't you buy one and let me know how it works in a T100 before I pick mine up. =)

Disappointing on the lack of reading for tranny temp... especially since I have a tranny temp gauge ready to install but no place to put it. I'd love to just have it taken care of by the ScanGauge rather than installing an additional gauge.

I think I'm going to order one today and of course I'll let you know how I like it.

I went for a drive yesterday and tried to visualize where it would fit best. Best being a spot that won't lead the eyes away from the road too long to read the displays. First thought was flush on the in-dash cupholder that I never use. Second thought being to the left of the steering wheel, above the knob to adjust the dash lights. That spot may work best as the eye will follow easy from the stock gauge cluster to the ScanGauge.

It was a hot running transmission in Death Valley last year that got me thinking about this. That, and the less than scientific method of measuring MPG when on varied terrains and conditions within a tank of gas. I haven't needed a scan tool yet, but when/if I do, Murphy's Law says I won't be anywhere convenient to a shop with a scan tool.

A suggestion for your tranny temp gauge Joel - perhaps on the A pillar below the grab handle? I have a boost gauge there myself. It is a big enough spot for one gauge pod, but probably not two pods.

I appreciate everyone's input. I'm thinking it's time to break out the ol' Visa card......:REExeSquatsHL1:

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
p1michaud said:
Pete,
Important question for the Canadian users, can you display SI units?
Cheers,
P

Yes - fully switchable between miles and KM. I have my unit showing speed in km and fuel in MPG.

Pete

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94