hmmm, a real question for the experienced

huntoon

Adventurer
There is some awesome sand in there. What vehicle did you take and where did you go off the highway. I was wondering how well an Earthroamer would float through there?

thanks!

I was referring to this: http://www.bajataco.com/ (coolest truck evar)

It's everything you need......untill you need more. But it will be a significant step up from the the adv bike.

Have fun dood!

Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, Colorado, Wyoming, Montana and Idaho all have plenty of places that are extremely difficult, risky and dangerous, if not impossible to visit in an ordinary RV.

They end up being some of prettiest and most isolated places in America.

And a 4 season capable expedition vehicle makes it possible to get to these places safely and to stay comfortably as long as you want.

I would imagine that every state is the same. I've been through some pretty rough stuff in the states that you mention. But I can tell you that my RV will go anywhere that a "4 season capable expedition vehicle" will go. That being said, if I wasn't so cheap I'd love to have an Earth Roamer just because I like the looks, nothing more than that though.

FYI...........I've bent two of the the tie downs on my rig and it's been in the shop three times to have fiberglass repairs and the roof has been repaired when two trees fell on it and crushed the roof when I was camping in 0 degree weather in a violent storm in the Adirondacks.

For Sale: Truck Camper.........well taken care of !!:sombrero:

poriggity

Explorer
saw an earth roamer on state street in Salt lake city Utah. I absolutly fell in love, and it had a for sale sign on it and it indicated it was on ebay. So i went home and found it.*Http://m.ebay.com/itm/181625347756?nav=SEARCH
So, I did a little poking around, and you have a total of 13 posts on this site, and they are all this exact same post on different threads. Methinks this is your earthroamer, and you're trying to get us to bite. ..
Spam much??

mervifwdc

Adventurer
We did about 2 years in our Unimog truck all around South America. Yup, there were some tight places, but also some places we could stay longer in due to our size - bigger trucks can carry more food and water. So, we stayed in some national parks for 2 weeks at a time without having to re-supply anything. Hard to do that on a bike or in a smaller vehicle.

All that said, we drive a landrover while at home. Horses for courses.

Merv.

CJones

Adventurer
I don't own a large expedition vehicle...yet. So I don't have much insight on what they are like to travel in on technical terrain. Please don't read this as a bash on large expedition vehicles, because it isn't. I just want to bring up a point that I didn't see mentioned as I was reading through this thread. And that is, driver comfort/skill level. I don't think it is any secret that large expedition vehicles are, well... Large. There is no doubt in my mind that an Earth Roamer can go just about anywhere my trooper can. But the Earth Roamer gets to those places because of the driver not because it is magical. Again, not bashing Earth Roamer, or any other vehicle of its kind, just pointing out the fact that auto pilot hasn't been perfected yet and is therefore not a standard feature. Whatever you buy, you have to drive. If you are more comfortable/better at driving a truck or suv with an RTT or really nice ground tent, and perhaps you don't care about having a mattress, then the truck or suv might be what works best for you. But again, it depends on where you want to go and how good you are at driving the vehicle.

For me, I'm young and relatively poor. My back isn't in pain after sleeping on the ground yet and a backpacking stove is sufficient for my wife and I. Our trips are 2 weeks max due to work schedule so my trooper makes a wonderful adventure vehicle for us. And it moonlights as a daily driver. When we are a little older, have a couple of kids, maybe even desire a mattress ;), we will likely be looking for something a little more like the Earth Roamer to take us places.

Iain_U1250

Explorer
Interesting thread revival :). Having spent over 3 months driving around Australia in our Land Rover wit a RTT, we found that it was all good when the weather was great up north across the Savannah way, the Kimberlies etc it was fantastic. We had a few days of strong wind and some cooler temperatures made things a bit uncomfortable, but when we got further south and had some gale force winds, heavy rain and 5-10 deg temperatures around the Flinders Ranges, it was just miserable. We ended up staying in hotels and began planning out stops as to where we could find accommodation, and finally, we just skipped the last couple weeks of our trip and headed home. After a week at home, we saw the weather was going to be good and headed out for another week.

We are planning to drive around the world for a few years, and realise that what we are building is right for us. We would have stayed longer in a lot of places if we had our Unimog. There were no places we went in the Land Rover where we would not have been able to go in our Unimog, but then ours is just a little Unimog :) Our only problem would be height clearance, and we have not found that to be a major problem here in Australia, and we carry a small chainsaw just in case :).

There is a big difference between camping for a week or two and living out of a vehicle for a year or two. I know people who do live out of smaller vehicles like our Land Rover, but that is not for us, it would be fun for a while, but we ( and especially my wife) would find it difficult and pretty miserable long term.

superbuickguy

Explorer
Interesting read. I've owned everything but an Earthroamer, and I've found what I like changes with where I'm at in life. I've had pop ups, slide ins, 5th wheels, travel trailers, boats, cabin cruiser boats, class A, class C, SUVs, tents, backpacks, bike packs, and my current configuration is a RTT... and I agree with what everyone says - and the only reason I'm writing is to point out that where you are now determines what works for you. I've been most everywhere in the world, and there are places I would love to really spend some time... which is why I'm now, again, considering my "next" RV. I stumble at the size of a medium/heavy duty vehicle, but as was well-pointed-out with size comes robust.

Thanks everyone for posting...

photo_i

Explorer
I agree with Merv - we live full time in a Unimog camper and yes, there are some restrictions - hight and weight - it allows us to stay away from civilization for long time. Plus, I'm just too old to sleep in a tent for 4-5 years in the row. :)

hmmm. let's see -
regular camper has body attached to cab, will fall apart on even regular dirt roads both outside and inside. Will get stuck with tiny tires, no locking diffs.
So... need 4WD and torsion free camper mounting. One could have a truck camper on 4WD pickup, but I'm 65 and want more room with dedicated bathroom etc., not a 4Wheel Camper. A big Lance on a 4X4 chassis requires (usually) duals and a F450/550 chassis, in other words a 17500-19500 lb GVW - with still small tires for the GVW.
Plus I wanted to av oid the "Stuck in Outer Mongolia with no Ford dealers in the country" scenario. Plus a Unimog dealer set up 1.5mi from my house. So that's how we ended up with a U500 and Unicat.

Charlie

foxhunter

Adventurer
Ditto what Charlie said. At 20 a sleeping bag worked for me. At 30 a sleeping bag in a tent worked for me. At 40 a sleeping bag on an air mattress in a tent worked for me. At 50 a 26ft class C worked for me....
till it started falling apart going down back roads and then got stuck at a creek crossing on a gravel road due to small tires and overhang. At 60 my U500/GXV works for me. When that no longer works for me, I suspect it will be a wheelchair in a nursing home that works for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz