Something to replace a Garmin 276c

werewolf

either the baja or a full size chartploter. They were hands down the best most accurate and durable gps unit i have owned and I have owned at least 8 units I have a garmin now but would trade it in a heart beat for a lowrance.

But those Lowrance units are only for off road use aren't they? They don't have available software for road and street directions and waypoints, do they? My 276C can do both.

The Montana 600 is a hiking GPS.

Last edited:

dms1

Explorer
But those Lowrance units are only for off road use aren't they? They don't have available software for road and street directions and waypoints, do they? My 276C can do both.

The Montana 600 is a hiking GPS.

Actually if you went to the Garmin website you would have seen that the Montana is both a handheld and an auto GPS, that is why I think it would be an excellent replacement for the 276c, and useful to the overlanding community. It also has a larger screen and the only thing it cant do that the 276c can do is support 3000 way points, the Montana supports 2000 way points, but I don't think any of Garmin's other GPSes can support 3000 way points either, most only support 1000 way points and 10 tracks which pales in comparison to the 276c and Montana's 200 tracks. Also the Montana supports custom maps and Satellite view maps and appears to support just about every DVD Map set available by Garmin.

All you need is this to mount it in your vehicle:

alt-image.do
cf-lg.jpg

Take advantage of Montana™'s versatility. Place your Montana in your car dashboard or windshield with this automotive suction cup mount¹ and take it on the road. This kit includes a mount with an integrated speaker and a suction cup for simple installation. It also includes a vehicle power cable.

Last edited:

werewolf

Actually if you went to the Garmin website you would have seen that the Montana is both a handheld and an auto GPS...

OK I did do that - and the Montana's screen is bigger than I thought. I thought it was a small handheld unit. Well, thanks. I'll keep this one in mind in case something happens to my 276C.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94