Need to buy a fullsize truck, diesel, gas, 3/4 or 1/2 ton?

RB1

Observer
Based on what I have read above of your needs/wants get a 2500 whatever it will work the best for your needs.

BigCountry77

Based on what I have read above of your needs/wants get a 2500 whatever it will work the best for your needs.
I would have to agree with RB1 on the size of truck. Both gas and diesel have pros and cons. I had a 92 Dodge D350 Cummins with a 5 speed manual and a Bradford work bed that I used for Landscaping. This truck had probably close to 500,000 miles on it. Most of the miles my grandfather put on it. The speedometer broke at 252,653 in 96. I got in 2000 when he past away. I was able to pull anything I wanted with it. The only major thing I had to replace was the injector pump. I deciced to sell the truck because I needed a vechicle that my family and I could all go away in, me, wife, and seven children. That is why I bought the 89 v2500 Suburban. It all depends on what you use it for. If you are going with a diesel then go with the Cummins.

BCHauler

Adventurer
If its me and looking at the size of your trailer, I'd get a gas 1/2 ton. The vast majority of the time you're not going to miss or need the extra capacity and the added comfort and fuel economy will be appreciated. The gas truck is cheaper purchase-wise than diesel, the gas fuel is cheaper, the maintenance is cheaper, fuel is always available. Modern 1/2 tons are very capable in most areas. Things can be added (airbags, timbrens, oversize brake kits) if extra capacity is needed in some way. As many have said, it takes years to make up the difference in cost by improved diesel fuel economy.

1/2 tons will do fine for mild or medium offroading and will hold up unless you do A LOT of it. Even then, replacement parts are easily available. You've said you're not planning a lift so there are no concerns there.

If it's me, I'd get an F150. They do have a better reputation for reliability and fuel economy than Dodge but I don't in anyway think the Dodge would be a bad choice. Not being a thirsty powermonger myself(says the guy with the v10 3/4 ton), I'd even look at a 4.6 for the decent unloaded fuel economy. I really think that too often many of us overestimate our needs and over equip ourselves for duties when it comes to trucks. I get the peace of mind factor, but really, these moderns half-tons are capable of a lot.

Good luck and please post up pics of your ride when you get it.

lstzephyr

wanderer
For me what it really came down to wasn't cost it was longevity and reliability. The diesels just simply last longer because of the beefier parts, and in general are more readily rebuildable. Also I very much like have the simplest vehicle possible(mechanical injection). I have driven my truck without a battery(or alternator/regulator) a few times, and I find that to be mandatory for me as it happens more than expected. I jumpstarted a guy a few weeks ago that snapped off my battery terminal in the process. No big deal, I just drove home anyway as the truck was already running. I've started my truck with no battery power, by getting a bump start from someone. I've also simply parked at the top of a hill with no battery. Its nice to have those options. It is very very rare that either of my vehicles doesn't return under its own power.

Yes the diesel fuel is expensive sometimes(sometimes not), they have a lot of oil(but longer between changes) and they are heavy. However if I was going to replace my 3/4ton dodge with a truck I would buy a 1/2 and stick in a 4bt cummins. I have no use for a gas engine in this size vehicle.

Modern gas vehicles and modern diesels don't have some of the same advantages to me. I wouldn't own a diesel 3/4-1ton as an only vehicle but as I have a motorcycle that gets great mileage, and contains little oil, it offsets the truck and they compliment each other. It works for me, maybe not for you but I just thought I would throw out that perspective.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I'd personaly choose a Cum mins powered Dodge (best motor and trucks out there IMO) or the above mentioned 7.3 Detroit powered Super Duty... =

Pssss. 7.3's were built by International. Detroit helped GM when designing the 6.2. :ylsmoke:

I like diesel pickups as well, well enough that I have two. But I will say, that you have to either really need or want a diesel to own one. Anyone who thinks owning a modern diesel is cheaper than a gas truck is living in a dream world. Diesels take more oil, more filter changes and when they break, they are expensive (luckily I haven't had any problems, yet, knock on wood). But when you are at 8k feet with a load and you still have power, that is what is hard to beat. Besides, both my diesels get loaded mpg what a comparable gas truck gets for mpg when unloaded. It's not even close when they are both loaded with similar weights on either power or mileage.

Of course, you must keep in mind that most diesel truck owners lie about their mileage and Cummins owners seem to be the worst. You have all heard the Dodge guy that is pulling 10k at 80 mph getting 22 mpg...:Wow1:

I have owned several 1/2t and now a 3/4t and 1t. The one thing I don't like about 1/2t, is that you run out of capacity very quickly, whereas a 3/4 or 1 has a lot more before you are overloaded. With a 1/2t you can either tow or haul, but not very much of both at the same time. With a heavier duty truck, you can. Not sure you ever will, but it is nice to know you can. You will have to decide whether gas or diesel makes sense to you.

Jack
Well stated,especially about the cost of operation. If I didn't carry this camper 24/7 I'd consider a gasser. Your comment on the Pinnochio's out there(especially us Cummins guys) is accurate also. At least my Ford buddy with the 2000 F-350 4wd is honest. 15.1 mpg max w/$7000 worth of Bank's enhancements and 265's. It's been an extremely dependable vehicle. The abundant power and relatively great fuel economy vs gas is amazing on these diesels though.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Why not a newer (2007+) Toyota Tundra with a 5.7? I have over 100,000 miles on mine with zero problems. Other than oil and tires the only thing I have replaced is the windshield wipers and front brakes. I recommend test driving one before pulling the trigger on a Ram. I recommend even more of finding a used high mileage truck of anything you want to buy to test drive and pay close attention to seat comfort, cabin ergonomics, wind noise steering/suspension for play/squeaks and rattles inside the cabin. I can attest that my truck still drives like new after 3 trips up the Alcan, hundreds of miles off-road, and 2 very harsh winters in northern Alaska. I almost want to test drive a new Tundra to see if I can tell any difference myself.
With an unladen rating of 13-17mpg. from Toyota,what fuel economy are you experiencing with the popup? We had a Canadian neighbor in Yosemite towing a 25' twin axle trailer with a 2010 Tundra 5.7 4wd. He said it had plenty of power,braking etc,but fuel economy was an abysmal 8mpg.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
I'd personaly choose a Cum mins powered Dodge (best motor and trucks out there IMO) or the above mentioned 7.3 Detroit powered Super Duty... =

Pssss. 7.3's were built by International. Detroit helped GM when designing the 6.2. :ylsmoke:

I like diesel pickups as well, well enough that I have two. But I will say, that you have to either really need or want a diesel to own one. Anyone who thinks owning a modern diesel is cheaper than a gas truck is living in a dream world. Diesels take more oil, more filter changes and when they break, they are expensive (luckily I haven't had any problems, yet, knock on wood). But when you are at 8k feet with a load and you still have power, that is what is hard to beat. Besides, both my diesels get loaded mpg what a comparable gas truck gets for mpg when unloaded. It's not even close when they are both loaded with similar weights on either power or mileage.

Of course, you must keep in mind that most diesel truck owners lie about their mileage and Cummins owners seem to be the worst. You have all heard the Dodge guy that is pulling 10k at 80 mph getting 22 mpg...:Wow1:

I have owned several 1/2t and now a 3/4t and 1t. The one thing I don't like about 1/2t, is that you run out of capacity very quickly, whereas a 3/4 or 1 has a lot more before you are overloaded. With a 1/2t you can either tow or haul, but not very much of both at the same time. With a heavier duty truck, you can. Not sure you ever will, but it is nice to know you can. You will have to decide whether gas or diesel makes sense to you.

Jack
Good points, I really LOVE Diesel's and WANT one so for me the initial costs of ownership make it worh it for me. I agreee they cost more to fix, BUT the good ones (Cummins and the INT. 7.3 - thnks for the correction) they tend to have VASTLY longer service lives then a colmpreable GAS motors and FOR ME, that is REAL attractive. I'm also REAL biased cause I have three Uncles who I would call "Diesel mech. genius's" one who re-builds and maintains huge diesels in cruise ships up in AK... I can ALWAYS go to them and fix anything... like I said... that's ME. The other thing I KIND OF agree with is the oil issue. with modern synth oil the cycles are greatly improved and therefore closer to Gas motors in terms of cost (still higher I know but...)

I WON'T haul max loads at all times so I KNOW I'll see a vast milage improvement ov er my current underpowered gas motor in my heavy little truck...

again, I'm someone who WANTS and NEEDS a diesel so FOR ME diesel's make perfect sence... I'm also a firm beliver that diesel is the way of the future, more so then finitely available Batteries :rolleyes: every time I see a Prius I think: "you got HOSED, coulda bought a Diesel Jetta AND had power plus even BETTER fuel milage..."

BUT LC, what really KILLS ME??? You sold that AWESOME Cruiser... I just can't get my head around that, BUT, you know what YOU need better then I do eh ;) Still, I shed a tear when I saw that. Everyone should own a Toyota, they truly are the best at what they do (wich in NA is NOT hauling big trailers eh)

Cheers

Dave

addicted56

Adventurer
Diesels are cheap. You are looking to spend under 13k. You can find hundreds of very nice heavy and super duties in that price range in excellent condition with low mileage. Yes gasser would be cheaper but if you can afford 13 k you will have no problem finding a very nice diesel.

OTR

Adventurer
With an unladen rating of 13-17mpg. from Toyota,what fuel economy are you experiencing with the popup? We had a Canadian neighbor in Yosemite towing a 25' twin axle trailer with a 2010 Tundra 5.7 4wd. He said it had plenty of power,braking etc,but fuel economy was an abysmal 8mpg.

My MPG empty is about 15/19 when the truck was stock. After I added larger tires, winch, after market bumper, and small lift I know avg 13/17 while empty.

With the truck camper and a weight of about 2000 lbs, I get about 11-12 mpg and about 10 mpg while pulling an enclosed trailer at the same time with the camper in the bed.

On a side note my dad and I went on an extended road trip of about 4,000 miles. I had my truck camper and trailer in tow while he drove his 2009 Duramax 3500 with a truck camper with a weight total of around 3,500 lbs in the bed. He averaged about 12 mpg total with all of his emissions crap ripped of the truck. We both came to the conclusion that a gas engine was better truck for every day use. Because if the initial expense of the diesel engine, fuel, and maintenance cost. Now if you're hauling a heavy load 75% of the time, a diesel would be the better choice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior