How Biofuels Could Starve the Poor, Foreign Affairs, May/June 2007

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
It's a long article but interesting and to the point. http://www.foreignaffairs.org/20070...nauer/how-biofuels-could-starve-the-poor.html

For those of you who have read "The Omnivore's Dilemma" by Michael Pollan it's an other twist to the story of corn in the military industrial complex.

We are not disheartened, the newly acquired FJ55 will go through a total restoration and biodiesel conversion with a turbo charged 2.5 L International. More on that as we progress.

Recycled - Restored – Modified - Eco Friendly - Biodiesel. Want to join the club?

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
There are a few bio-fuels that could quite easily solve many of the problems on both sides of the fence.

http://tinyurl.com/3xmf9b

Problem is it's got quite a bad name worldwide, plus quite a bad problem to overcome too! But very powerful possibilities for fuels.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
pskhaat said:
There are a few bio-fuels that could quite easily solve many of the problems on both sides of the fence.

http://tinyurl.com/3xmf9b

Problem is it's got quite a bad name worldwide, plus quite a bad problem to overcome too! But very powerful possibilities for fuels.

Hemp is a wonderfully useful plant and is a good oil producer, but it sits about half way down the scale for oil production per acre. In New Zealand they are producing oil rich algae for bio diesel in the settlement pools of sewage treatment plants. Now that's innovative!

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
Martyn said:
oil production per acre

I'm no biologist by any stretch, genuine question: isn't it the highest yielding oils plant based on cost and it's ability to grow in nearly any soil condition.

That's pretty cool about the sewage plants. There was a radio article a month or so ago on some late night AM station that talked about the benefits of flushing food wastes down the disposal vs. into a composter for urban areas, and discussed the energy potential of doing this if municipalities would harness that energy.

HongerVenture

Adventurer
Martyn, what a great article to post! The money quote for me:
The World Bank has estimated that in 2001, 2.7 billion people in the world were living on the equivalent of less than $2 a day; to them, even marginal increases in the cost of staple grains could be devastating. Filling the 25-gallon tank of an SUV with pure ethanol requires over 450 pounds of corn -- which contains enough calories to feed one person for a year. By putting pressure on global supplies of edible crops, the surge in ethanol production will translate into higher prices for both processed and staple foods around the world. Biofuels have tied oil and food prices together in ways that could profoundly upset the relationships between food producers, consumers, and nations in the years ahead, with potentially devastating implications for both global poverty and food security.

So much of our environmental, economic, and developmental policy is reactionary. Government is about the worst forum for acting in a proactive, premptive, forward-thinking manner. There is very little consideration given to unintended consequences.

Government thinking looks like this:
1. Fuel prices are rising and voters are unhappy
2. Voters like the idea of energy independence and paying less at pump
3. Politicians see that ethanol will reduce dependence on oil yet is economically unsustainable
4. Government subsidizes ethanol production thus artificially boosting the demand for ethanol and then corn
5. Corn prices skyrocket... feed prices rise, other grain prices rise, etc.
6. Costs are passed on to consumer in beef, dairy, grains, etc.
7. Final outcome... see the last sentence of quoted paragraph.

I know that the idea isn't popular with everyone, but private companies are the best means to more efficient resource consumption/production.

Private business thinking looks like this (ideally):
1. Fuel prices are rising and that cost has to be passed on in our products/services
2. Consumers aren't happy with rising prices and our demand shrinks
3. Private business must find cheaper alternative or more efficiency in production/service
4. Product/services prices decrease or stabilize
5. Final outcome... more efficient production/service. Economic and environmental sustainability are advanced.

Now I know that this is the ideal situation, but for the most part it holds true. The problem is when the government does something like subsidize research or mandate restrictions... the cost will always be passed down to the consumer through taxes or high prices. I'm all for regulations, but subsidization and mandates often have unintended consequences.

Just some quickly-thrown-together thoughts. Again, great link Martyn!

Joel

DesertRose

Safari Chick & Supporting Sponsor
Very interesting - I've been following this subject, too, as we start the process of building our FJ60 biodiesel.

I'm looking for U.S.-soy or local WVO (high quality) production. Locally, there is a good effort to collect waste vegetable oil and turn it into high quality fuel that can be sold at retailers (rather than DIY). I like this idea. Most major metro areas have lots of WVO.

I also like smart crop ideas - jatropha, hemp, algae.

I think corn (ethanol) is a huge disaster, the trouble is as has been said, it reeks of government involvement and thus squashing other efforts (market driven).

Argh. Time to Lobby in Washington, guys - I'm serious!

It's been a while since I've walked the D.C. Senate and House office buildings, but I still know some of the AZ Representatives and their staff - it's the only way to make a difference.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Just an example that comes from something I recently read. If the price of something like corn goes up, two things would seem to happen. First, the people issue where food could become no longer affordable. But, second the market now moves to increase corn production. That could mean in countries trying to keep up with the world economy you could see an increase in conversion to farm lands of places that are currently rainforests. So the move to a biofuel could paradoxically cause increased environmental damage, which has a secondary affect of further reducing the earth's ability to convert CO2 to oxygen as the rainforests are crucial for this and actually accelerating the presumed build up of greenhouse gases.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/6636467.stm

Virtually all of the farmers through the office this Spring have told me of their plans - and their neighbors plans - to grow far more corn this year and fewer soybean acres.

Hmmm, I've got a quarter acre of prairie grass in the back yard already ... all I need is a still and ...

:)

KAA

DaveInDenver

Kermit said:
We are F%&ked....aren't we?

To hell in a handbasket....*sigh*
Well, now that's a defeatist attitude. We are not screwed, despite the gloom and doom you hear all the time. ;-)

My point in posting that was that there is no perfect solution, biofuel is not the holy grail necessarily. Biomass takes significant investment of resources to produce, which by using petroleum we are not paying for right now. The earth has already expended the energy to convert dinosaur biomass into a fuel that can be utilized with less new energy investment, where as fuel stock from things like corn require us to invest energy right now. Just paying the price in a different way.

Clutch

<---Pass
DaveInDenver said:
I'm soooo bad at picking that up.

I tend forget to ad this.... [/sarcasm] ..when I am being sarcastic...which is most of the time. ;)

One of the hardest things to convey via the internet...is emotion and tone.

Maybe why people tend to get into drama?

Alot easier to understand one's tone, talking to them directly.

I probably come across differently in person than on this computer screen.:sombrero:

DaveInDenver

Kermit said:
I tend forget to ad this.... [/sarcasm] ..when I am being sacastic...which is most of the time. ;)
KC and I have been through this, you can trust me that I don't take things too seriously on the Internet. Emicons or not, I figure most of the core people here are pretty mellow and nothing they type is meant to be particularly abrasive. Honestly I took your post at face value more as a sign of resignation than anything and just thought a virtual slap on the back was called for. Bottom's up, drink 'em if ya got 'em.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94