My Wandering Soul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cityslicker

Observer
You remind me of Chris Mcandless, (sp?) who is my hero, if a jaded grown man can have a hero.
Good luck to you.
But I imagine this will be the best thing you ever do. I envy your balls.

jmdjax

Adventurer
Are you coming through Florida to I10?

(sorry if I'm way late on this thread/adventure/life change)

By the way awesome story so far! I will read it all in due time.

njtaco

Explorer
I don't know the pace you are keeping on the highway, but slowing down helps both fuel and oil consumption. It can be less fatiguing too. Maybe drive 55-60 MPH? You can stop every two hours to add gas and oil and do some exercises to stay alert. (Jumping jacks help me, YMMV)

While I agree that ditching the Cruiser in favor of a fuel-sipping car is a good suggestion, you are too far in to efficiently change that now. Montana via Arizona isn't too far after all.

Safe travels!

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Phil, I am not sure when you will read this, but when you are in or near Phoenix, let me know. Jacki and I have a place for you to sleep, shower, and eat for as long as you need, and we have a garage and a few tools to help with any repairs that may be needed on the Cruiser. I have been through tough times too and know what it is like. I would like to help in anyway that I can and my wife, Jacki, is a caring and giving soul. Hit me up with a PM when you can and we will work out any details.

ttora4runner

Expedition Leader
Good luck Phil.

If you pass though Utah via I-15 on your journey and need a place too crash for the night let me know.

Thanks for all the advice. Will reply tomorrow. Possible option has popped up, it will get me to AZ at least. .

Last edited:

brushogger

Explorer
If you happen to be passing thru central Oklahoma PM me. We have a hot shower, meal, and warm place to sleep waiting.

BCHauler

Adventurer
I don't know you and just now found this thread and read it. I admire any person who has the courage to look at their life, at the things that don't work for them, and make changes. Scary as hell.

I, many years ago, took a very ill-advised, spur of the momenet road trip from Vancouver BC to Las Vegas with $300 in my jeans and no clue. Car was a 1973 Monte Carlo that had no business taking a trip that ambitious. Oh yeah, it was 5 days before Christmas and the biggest snow storm to hit the Western US in the previous 50 years happened on day 2 in Utah. Ouch!.

Anyway, we had massive car trouble and NO money and found ourselves sitting on the curb outside a mechanics shop after receiving professional advice to walk away from the car and buy a bus ticket. The car was consuming massive quantities of oil, both burning and spraying under the hood (we actually had a blue smoke contrail fanning out behind us on the highway). After seeing the dispair in our eyes and understanding our dire circumstances, one of the senior mechanics pulled me aside and gave me some advice. He told me to walk across the street to the NAPA, buy a case of the thickest oil they sell, load up the engine, and turn around and make a run back to Canada.

Darned if it didn't work. I only had to top up the oil once, less than a liter and made it back a couple of thousand kilometers home.

If nothing else, try it for a few hundred miles and see if anything changes. Couldn't really hurt could it?

Good luck and I'll be watching...

Brain Storming

My mind going a mile a minute, I had little rest last night. Morning came with no clear insight into my situation. Dogs had to be walked though, so Jerry, my host here in Virgina, asked me to come along for some fresh air. These dogs are great and full of love.

What was to be done about my Land Cruiser? After several phone calls it become clear that my issue was the valve cover seals. With a base cost to fix starting at $2,500 it was out of the question. Time for a lot of brain storming.

After lunch and a nice drive up into the George Washington National Forest. We had an idea. As we drove around the forest we gave it more discussion while the dogs poked around the cab of the truck. I will make my decision tomorrow and let everyone know whats going on.

IMG_0055.jpg

htek

Observer
First - good luck in your adventures. Like everyone else, I hope this experience provides the fresh start that you desire.

As you are painfully aware, your truck is preventing you from enjoying your journey. I am sure you have already thought of this, but why not get rid of the cruiser in favor of a more affordable option (as others have mentioned)?

I don't know what you could sell it for in it's current state, but if nothing else then you could part it out (bumpers, sliders, other junk) and walk away with at least $1500. Then, take some time and shop around for a cheap Cherokee. Why a Cherokee? Because they are a dime a dozen (i.e. cheap), stupid reliable, and still 4wd. Of course you lose your overland bling, but you would (hopefully) lose the burden as well. Not sure how it is in the east, but out west a solid mid-90's cherokee with 150 - 175K miles sure only runs about $1500.

The biggest downside to this is that it takes time... Potentially weeks to sell/part the cruiser and find the right deal. But if you are committed to travel by car (can't blame you) then I see this as a realistic and reasonable option. Assuming you buy a solid vehicle, you gain an extremely reliable and capable truck that will get you to your destination - dirt or pavement.

Anyhow, good luck and looking forward to hearing more about your adventure.

-jm

Lichen

Explorer
It kind of sounds like if you get to Arizona, a lot of us would be willing to pitch in and help (either mechanically or financially).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier