Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wind generators......?

I don't know much on the subject of wind generators, but for those who want to play with it in an inexpensive manner, you might take a look at the Chispito plans.

Undoubtedly not the most efficient wind generator, but cutting up a chunk of PVC pipe to make blades, and scavenging a tread mill motor for the generator, could certainly be cheap enough for the hobbyist.

I've also seen a lot of hobbyist projects on the Instructables web site, but I highly question most of them. For instance, there is one who claims you can use an old cordless drill motor for the generator. Don't know how sound the proposal is, but in his particular case it appears he has a rollerblade bearing isolating the blades from the motor. Sure spins nice in his video, but I can't figure out how it could be spinning the 'generator' with that bearing in the mix.
    Last edited by Lynn; 03-06-2011 at 05:43 PM.
    Sent from my Motorola SCR-300 using Tapalot.

Quote Originally Posted by windsock View Post
    I hope you don't mind my input here.
    Thanks for posting.

just posting this EBay one up but really don't know enough to comment on it
    http://cgi.ebay.com/400W-12V-WIND-TU...item4157637ed0

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmP83zDlRlY"]YouTube - Gudcraft Wind Generator.flv[/ame]

Jim
    4x4 Tourist

Trip reports are on my Blog: "Sun To The North"

Two Favorite Expo Quotes: "A bad day on the trail is better than a good day in the city" & "Bad days make for GREAT stories!"

I want to camp with Bruce......
    Don

I often wondered whether you could attach an engine fan to the pulley of an alternator and then make a small rack that would hold it off the ground. Run some jumper wires to the battery and when the wind blew... This way you'd be carrying an extra engine cooling fan and alternator as well as getting some power when the wind is blowing. You'd have to turn it to match the wind and it probably wouldn't be as efficient as a dedicated set-up, but it would be spare parts as well.

Quote Originally Posted by twblanset View Post
    I often wondered whether you could attach an engine fan to the pulley of an alternator and then make a small rack that would hold it off the ground. Run some jumper wires to the battery and when the wind blew... This way you'd be carrying an extra engine cooling fan and alternator as well as getting some power when the wind is blowing. You'd have to turn it to match the wind and it probably wouldn't be as efficient as a dedicated set-up, but it would be spare parts as well.

I can only imagine that a 100 Amp alternator needs a pretty good wind to generate much current
    Jim
    4x4 Tourist

Trip reports are on my Blog: "Sun To The North"

Two Favorite Expo Quotes: "A bad day on the trail is better than a good day in the city" & "Bad days make for GREAT stories!"

Wow, that was flying! Looked very efficient as the tree was just barely moving, smaller ones hardly moved! Didn't appear to high either...thanks for posting it!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12