New Dodge Cummins Owner w/ Bio-D Question

GaryMc

Explorer
I picked up a 2000 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins the other day and have been making a few small repairs on it. Mechanically it's sound, new lift and injection pumps, new clutch, new tires, solid engine and tranny, etc. But as with any 11-year old truck there are a few niggles like a leaky washer canister, weird under dash wiring issues, blown speakers, ect.
Anyway I have a few bio diesel pumps fairly close to where I live, B-20 and B--50, and I would like to run biodiesel if possible. What, if anything do I need to do to my rig to run Bio-D?

Thanks- Gary

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
My Cummins tech buddy will not run bio in his 2nd gen CTD. He's replaced numerous VP-44 due to bio use. The 1st gens will run on anything due to their mechanical pumps. If you don't already have one,get a fuel pressure gauge. The VP-44 is lubricated by a steady supply of fresh diesel. When the lift pump goes it takes out the injection pump.

GaryMc

Explorer
So he thinks that bio was the culprit? I was under the impression that bio had higher lubricity than regular diesel?

My Cummins tech buddy will not run bio in his 2nd gen CTD. He's replaced numerous VP-44 due to bio use. The 1st gens will run on anything due to their mechanical pumps. If you don't already have one,get a fuel pressure gauge. The VP-44 is lubricated by a steady supply of fresh diesel. When the lift pump goes it takes out the injection pump.

chasespeed

Explorer
Tell you what.... my P-pump is getting rebuilt as we speak. I spoke with a lot of shops, both locally, and nationally.

They said they WOULDNT warranty the pump if biodiesel was run through it. it was specified B50 or higher.

BUT, I will also say, it has been noted that there have been more issues with some parts, since the ULSD has become the norm.......

I will tell you, pump rebuilds are NOT cheap......

That said, I would steer clear of most of it...... Talk to diesel shops specifically... ESPECIALLY since you have a VP44(my truck had a couple those)..... You have to be careful of them....

Chase

Bella PSD

Explorer
Wish I could help with your Dodge but I can say I run 100% biodiesel most anytime its warm enough. And as much Biodiesel as I can in Winter months. Been doing so for about 2 1/2 years in a Ford Superduty 7.3L.
Louie

D

Deleted member 12023

Tell you what.... my P-pump is getting rebuilt as we speak. I spoke with a lot of shops, both locally, and nationally.

They said they WOULDNT warranty the pump if biodiesel was run through it. it was specified B50 or higher.

BUT, I will also say, it has been noted that there have been more issues with some parts, since the ULSD has become the norm.......

I will tell you, pump rebuilds are NOT cheap......

That said, I would steer clear of most of it...... Talk to diesel shops specifically... ESPECIALLY since you have a VP44(my truck had a couple those)..... You have to be careful of them....

Chase

Why is your pump being rebuilt? Coincidentally my truck is at Cummins right now, and I'm thinking I need a rebuilt pump due to a sticking plunger.

Hijack off.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
So he thinks that bio was the culprit? I was under the impression that bio had higher lubricity than regular diesel?
He lost me with some technical jargon,but emphasized he's made lots of money replacing VP-44 injection pumps that ran on bio or ran out of fuel do to a dead pump. A Westach fuel pressure gauge setup available@ Genos Garage and a steady supply of clean diesel is essential. The guy's been a Master Cummins Tech since exiting the Marine Corp where he got his diesel training.

chasespeed

Explorer
Why is your pump being rebuilt? Coincidentally my truck is at Cummins right now, and I'm thinking I need a rebuilt pump due to a sticking plunger.

Hijack off.
Sticking plunger at a minimum. Ran away going down the road... then, STOPPED..... couldnt get it restared..... He said it could be the gov, or the rack, etc etc.... SO...

IHDiesel73L

Adventurer

He lost me with some technical jargon,but emphasized he's made lots of money replacing VP-44 injection pumps that ran on bio or ran out of fuel do to a dead pump. A Westach fuel pressure gauge setup available@ Genos Garage and a steady supply of clean diesel is essential. The guy's been a Master Cummins Tech since exiting the Marine Corp where he got his diesel training.

The issue is not the biodiesel screwing up the pump, it's the fact that biodiesel acts as a solvent on petroleum diesel deposits in your tank. The deposits get loose, and in some cases, can clog the lift pump (not sure if there's a sock, on that one, etc...), and starve the injection pump, causing its early demise. If you want to run as much as B-50 my advice is to drop the tank, clean it, and while you're at it throw in a new lift pump. Keep a supply of filters on hand too. Just out of curiosity though, what's your motivation for wanting to run biodiesel-it sounds like you're buying it commercially rather than making it. Usually blended pump diesel is more expensive. Ever thought about running straight vegetable oil via a heated two tank system? I've been doing it for over 100K miles now and have saved somewhere around $9000 doing so.

Darwin

Explorer
If you are going to run bio in a VP -44 truck I would suggest at least a FASS fuel pump and a fuel pressure gauge with alarm. Don't want to fry that expensive IP.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior