off road with or without a FWC Camper?

diver110

I was all set to buy a 3/4 ton when I discovered that was going to pose a parking problem at work (1/2 ton is the same size, so same issue). So now I am kicking around the idea of a Tacoma. Some of the time I would likely carry a Four Wheel Camper camper (wet maybe 1200 pounds).

Are Tacomas good off road vehicle? I would be doing moderate off roading, more than forest roads, but no rock climbing.

How about off road with the camper on board?

Thanks.

NothingClever

Explorer
Tacoma + FWC is a very capable combination, IMO.

Of course, I could be biased :elkgrin: .

IMGP1432.jpg

IMGP1442.jpg

haven

Expedition Leader
The Tacoma's cargo capacity is 1200-1400 lbs, depending on options like 4x4, V6 and double cab. That may be a problem if your camper weighs 1200 lbs. There are sources for uprated springs for the Tacoma, but the ride may be a bit bouncy when the camper is off the truck.

Full size "1/2 ton" trucks have payload ratings between 1000 lbs (Ford Raptor) and 3000 lbs, depending on options.

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
that seams pretty heavy for a FWC when a see a lot of people with toyotas hauling them. Wander the west is kind of a FWC forum. As long as the axels can handle what your doing, maybe a set of airbags will fix any problems with spring rate.

Flagster

Expedition Leader
I would be concerned with total weight...when you add it all up...Camper, persons, gear, fluids, etc...I think you can quickly go over...I know I get close even with just a camper shell and all the crap I haul around...
I know there are many Tacomas happily hauling FWCs but as an owner of a 2005 Double Cab with the V6...I would hesitate using this truck for a pop up style camper...even a lightweight one similar to a FWC...
I have stated it before but I think the engine is a dog even when the truck is unloaded...7000+ft elevation doesn't help ...but I think the ideal platform for a FWC is a 3/4 ton p/u...with a big thirsty engine...and plenty of payload...I "hate" the look of huge cab over campers...seem top heavy to me unless you run a DRW...but a FWC on a superduty = sexy...JMHO

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
NothingClever--that's such a great combo.

Wouldn't it take some work to get a Tacoma-sized FWC to 1200 lbs? Isn't the dry weight around 700?

I have a wood-framed camper on my '85. It doesn't have many appliances or built-ins though--I would estimate the weight at 800 lbs. The most difficult parts of 4-wheeling with it are side-hills and spots that twist up the suspension. It feels quite a bit tippier with the camper on. I have pretty soft front leaf packs and I didn't have a front sway bar so on the trail, the whole truck would be at about the same side-angle as the rear axle. I have since added the front sway bar back in--it should be better now that the front axle has more of a say.

I consider the Tacoma to be a powerhouse. I'm used to overloaded 22RE 8-valve 4-cylinders from the 80's.

Eric

Last edited:

diver110

Thanks for the feedback. 1200 pounds was a bit of a guess and included passangers. Then again, weight can add up in a hurry once you throw in a flat screen tv and a hot tub. :D

NothingClever

Explorer
I still remember distinctly cutting my 4x4 teeth in my '85 ForeRunner in the mountains of Colorado.

Although I was frequently rapped out in 3d gear on big, paved hills, I cleaned a lot of trail obstacles that other trucks couldn't.

Fast forward some 25 years later and my stock 2002 Tacoma 4x4 has done great in the first 6 months of FWC ownership.

With the re-gear I have underway, I'm confident my Tacoma will be dialed in just right to move at the pace I should go if I'm to enjoy the journey.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles