Teardrop build...

elmo_4_vt

Explorer
Wow... Can't believe that frame and tires weigh in at 480... I guess it goes to show how quickly it adds up though. Any idea on the weight with the sleeper?

I'll really have to rethink my frame design since I was using much larger steel members and more of them. Want the whole thing to be around 1500lbs loaded.

Don

-

oz97tj

Observer
The epoxy is West Systems.

I was a bit surprised about the weight. Then again each wheel and tire is probably pushing 60 or more pounds. The axle alone is probably close to 200 lbs. I could carry the frame by myself which wad probably 150 lbs.

I wouldnt see any need to go heavier than I did. In fact, id build the frame lighter next time. There really shouldn't be any twisting forces applied because its only supported on 3 axis(2 tires and hitch). Also, the cabin is incredibly stiff once its all built.

Next time, id build similar but use. 090 instead of. 120. Even that would be overkill I think. There also isn't any need for more supports. My frame has the double outside tubes, but that was a design error. If planned correctly, it would only have the single outside tube.

Im thinking mine will be around 1500 lbs ready to camp. The cabin can be lifted fairly easy by two guys so id guess its no more than 300 lbs. Add doors and hatch and the camping items and could easily double that. Still 1500 lbs should be easy enough to stay under. We'll see. Ill weigh it aain after it's all done.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
So, where are the pics from its maden voyage? Have you gone bopping through the woods with that yet or buzzed down somefire trails? Some of those action shots we see in the movies....LOL

:wings:

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
Looking really good...keep a close eye on all the seams. The time you take now to seal it 100% will pay off dowwn the road.

Nice progress...:wings:

Pat

oz97tj

Observer
Well, I've returned from a 3500 mile test run. Overall, it did real well. However, I did learn a few things.

1. The mattress I have sucks. Its fine for a short time, but after half a night, it feels like the foam is all compressed and no padding, so I need to do something different there.

2. I had some leaking issues. I was lucky though. On the way down(when we were sleeping in it), I only hit about 20 minutes of light rain while driving. Upon setting up camp that evening, I noticed near both doors the sheets were a bit wet. I figured it must have came in through the doors. That night it rained all night and there were no leaking issues at all though, so it's obviously only an issue while driving.
The big problem was on the way home. We made a 19 hour drive from Florida back to Michigan and it rained most of the way, quite hard at times as well. When I got home at around 2 AM, I was taking a few things out of the camper and noticed the mattress was soaked. I flipped the mattress up and the entire floor was wet. Also, when I flipped the mattress up, a bunch of water was squeezed out and started running out the back passenger side corner (it was parked on a slight hill).
Here is what I think happened. I built the walls to hang down past the floor over the frame rails. It was all tight when I was framing it up. I then took the cabin off the frame and epoxied everything. When we set the cabin back down on the frame, it was a tight fit. The epoxy obviously added too much thickness that I didn't account for so when we persuaded the cabin back onto the frame, it must have seperated the floor / wall seams and this is were my leak is. At least I was lucky enough not to have this issue until I was home and I didn't need to sleep on a wet mattress.

3. I made the sleeping area 80 inches long. This is what a standard queen size mattress is. However, most bed frames allow at least another 6 or so inches room between the head and foot boards. I didn't think of this either. So when sleeping in the tear, with pillows under my head (which pushes me down a bit) my feet are against the back and I can't exactly stretch out. Luckily, I built a small chest that takes up about 6 inches of floor space at the front of the trailer at the head of the bed. I am going to remove this, and now I should have plenty of length to stretch.

Overall, it was a great trip. The camper pulled great. Hardly even noticed it was there. Even in the mountains, sometimes driving a little too aggressively because it was just entertaining, the trailer pulled with no trouble.

Here is a few photos. One of it hooked up to the wifes Edge in the mountains...
2011-04-11_13-56-11_175.jpg

And one of just a cool shot from the top of Clingmans Dome.
2011-04-13_10-50-36_382.jpg

Now, along with the aforementioned fixes, I need to finish the cabinets inside and the galley area.

Last edited:

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
Nice write up! Quick question: On the pic, looks like your trailer does not have any tail lights! Are they hidden that well or do you really have no lights? :eek:

rusty_tlc

Explorer
On the mattress. you might look around for a local company to make a custom inner spring mattress. We had one made for our 1957 Mercury TD. I don't recall it being very expensive, I know it couldn't have been because back then we couldn't afford to pay attention.

oz97tj

Observer
Nice write up! Quick question: On the pic, looks like your trailer does not have any tail lights! Are they hidden that well or do you really have no lights? :eek:

Taillights are for wimps! lol They are there. If you look on the frame rail they are silver looking. They are clear lens LEDs.
Here is a little better photo.
2011-04-11_13-56-37_205.jpg

On the mattress. you might look around for a local company to make a custom inner spring mattress. We had one made for our 1957 Mercury TD. I don't recall it being very expensive, I know it couldn't have been because back then we couldn't afford to pay attention.

I don't really want inner spring. I have a memory foam mattress at home and it's by far the best I've ever slept on. I honestly have trouble sleeping on any other mattresses now. The one I have is a 4 inch memory foam mattress topper. I'm thinking maybe some firmer foam underneath would fix my issue. I plan to call up the company I purchased it from and having a chat to see what they say.

rusty_tlc

Explorer
Taillights are for wimps! lol They are there. If you look on the frame rail they are silver looking. They are clear lens LEDs.
Here is a little better photo.
<snip>

I don't really want inner spring. I have a memory foam mattress at home and it's by far the best I've ever slept on. I honestly have trouble sleeping on any other mattresses now. The one I have is a 4 inch memory foam mattress topper. I'm thinking maybe some firmer foam underneath would fix my issue. I plan to call up the company I purchased it from and having a chat to see what they say.
Google custom mattress Fenton Michigan:ylsmoke: I bet at least two places near you will do a custom memory foam mattress.

oz97tj

Observer

This brings up another issue. I don't know what the density of my mattress is at home, but it's also thick. With the one I purchased for the trailer, I went with 10 lb density. It feels great at first, but after a while, I can still feel the floor. This is making me think adding some 20 lb density 3 inch think underneath would be great. Also, the place I ordered from was around $100 which is is cheaper than any other place I found. In the link, they are talking about 4.5 and 5.5 lb density which I think would be too soft.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94