AdventureBuddies Aluminum Offroad Teardrop build

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
Now that didn't take too long!

It'll be interesting now to see it come together in pictues as well...looking good!

adventurebuddies

Adventurer
I think this is what I'll do with the kitchen pullout. Not sure how to show movement but the sink and stove hinge up so it all tucks away and then slides back into the back of the trailer.

Attachments

• tailgate open kitchen pullout.jpg
    tailgate open kitchen pullout.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 184

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
Just an outside observation....seems like a lot of kitchen pulling out from a small space, but it sure looks like a winner.

If possible check out as many of the Aussie's fab pull outs...they never have any wasted space and manage to fit more than the imagination can conjure up in a 5' pull out drawer

Glad you started to play with Sketch Up...great tool!

Pat

adventurebuddies

Adventurer
Progress! Got my Max Coupler from AT today. Springs, axle, rear spare tire carrier already here and all manner of other goodies on their way in the mail - water pump, instant water heater, tanks, etc.

Here are some pics of the frame as of yesterday. Can't wait to see it powdercoated and rolling....

Attachments

• IMG_0115.JPG
    IMG_0115.JPG
    115.9 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_0117.JPG
    IMG_0117.JPG
    134.9 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_0118.JPG
    IMG_0118.JPG
    137 KB · Views: 103

jdholder

Explorer
Looking at your frame drawing, it appears your overall length is 156" - not 166" as indicated, correct? 108+48 = 156

adventurebuddies

Adventurer
Looking at your frame drawing, it appears your overall length is 156" - not 166" as indicated, correct? 108+48 = 156

156" is the length of the primary frame with tongue. However, the center "tube" protrudes an additional 6" in the back to accomodate a finished rear bumper/tire carrier and 4" in the front to take the Max Coupler so the total length of everything is 166"

adventurebuddies

Adventurer
By tomorrow I'll have a rolling chassis. Just need to wire up the lights, install the rear tire swingout on the spindle, and install the water tanks. Looks like I'll be towing it to Expo (though the interior will be empty except for a mattress).

I'm very pleased with the OME springs so far. Standing on the trailer they feels like I'll have plenty of suspension movement. I plan to put about 1000lbs of cement bags on the trailer frame to see how the springs settle before choosing the shocks so the shock mount tabs won't go on until later.

I'm pretty sure that I will wait to powdercoat the frame until I've considered fully what other "accessories" I'll want to weld on like hi-lift jack mount, BBQ mount, etc.

Markus

Attachments

• IMG_0123.JPG
    IMG_0123.JPG
    523.1 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_0120.JPG
    IMG_0120.JPG
    536.6 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_0119.JPG
    IMG_0119.JPG
    502.2 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_0126.JPG
    IMG_0126.JPG
    462.3 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_0125.JPG
    IMG_0125.JPG
    399.9 KB · Views: 106

adventurebuddies

Adventurer
Beautiful job on the frame, everything looks perfect, and very substantial!

Thanks. It is quite substantial. Seeing it sitting there it seems so big and tall with no weight to compress the springs. I calculated that the "extra" weight of the steel vs a more minimalistic design adds about 100lbs to the overall weight of the trailer. For me it was worth it to overbuild a little for the peace of mind that I won't develop stress cracks in the frame. Also, the increased frame rigidity should reduce stress on the aluminum teardrop shell.

Last edited:

adventurebuddies

Adventurer
It's been a few months, but I finally had a little time on Friday to pull the trailer out of storage and work on it some more.

I haven't really used it yet, except for towing it out to AZ for the expo. On the highway it was amazing - no feedback or sway and it only cost me about 1mpg vs not towing.

On Friday I cut and installed the aluminum treadplate on the tongue which will have a storage box and some other stuff on it.

I also welded on the little deflectors that will protect the fenders and will double as steps with some more treadplate on them.

Lastly, I cut the foot off of the tongue jack and welded a 10" swivel tire on it. Now I can push the trailer around easily, even over rough surfaces.

Attachments

• IMGP3289.JPG
    IMGP3289.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 243
  • IMGP3292.JPG
    IMGP3292.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 322
  • IMGP3288.JPG
    IMGP3288.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 342

adventurebuddies

Adventurer
Thanks. Next step is to weld on shock mounts and install shocks. Then I'll start the interior finish since it's an empty shell right now.

Does anyone have any tips for determining shock length?

Cody1771

Explorer
yeah, basically measure the distance between the bump stop and the pad it hits. your shock must have a minimum of that amount of travel, dont want the shock to bottom before the bump stop, if your planning on putting it on an angle (which i assume you are) you will have to do a little math and figure out what your going to need. oh yeah, and make sure it wont rip the guts out when the wheel is on full down travel. im not sure what you calculate for that other than doing a flex test?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles