AdventureBuddies Aluminum Offroad Teardrop build

adventurebuddies

Adventurer
I started working on the kitchen pullout concept. Here are some more beautiful drawings from Paint:

Attachments

• Kitchen layout.jpg
    Kitchen layout.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 161
  • kitchen pullout.jpg
    kitchen pullout.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 186
  • kitchen pullout side.jpg
    kitchen pullout side.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 214

Bumzo1

Great progress so far, yours is starting to sound like the one I've been planning. You should look into google sketchup instead of paint http://sketchup.google.com/. I watched this tutorial [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsfH_cyXa1o"]YouTube - Getting started with Google SketchUp[/ame] and was able to design my entire trailer from that. Its much more precise and you can easily build it to scale by using the rulers. You can also download other trailer designs for some ideas. Here's what I came up with http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=d270e5861c5c0f37f67ddda202368a9a&prevstart=0 I'd say its pretty good for my first CAD drawing, the frame is lacking its 3rd dimension though because I did that first.

Old Sarge

Observer
Water Storage

I was wondering why you wanted so much water storage? I think most come with a max of 19. Should you consider changing one of those to carry extra gas? :sombrero:

adventurebuddies

Adventurer
I was wondering why you wanted so much water storage? I think most come with a max of 19. Should you consider changing one of those to carry extra gas? :sombrero:

Thanks for the input. I have two gas tanks in the LandCruiser for 70gal of gas so I'm covered there. The whole point of the camper type trailer is to go "soft.". Being able to take hot showers and wash dishes freely are part of the soft, easy purpose of towing a trailer for me.

So, do I "need" 40gal of water? Not at all. Will I enjoy my hot showers? Absolutely.

Last edited:

Jeff Wanamog

Off Road Camper Guy
I'm no expert by any means, and hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in on this, but.....

If you mount an aluminum body to a steel frame, don't you have to worry about electrolysis?

Electrolysis is the passage of a direct electric current through dissimular metals, resulting in chemical reactions at the electrodes and separation of materials. When you wire your trailer, don't use your frame as a ground.Run pairs to all locations with an isolated ground bar like you would wire a sub panel.

Jeff

Old Sarge

Observer
Thanks for the inout. I have two gas tanks in the LandCruiser for 70gal of gas so I'm covered there. The whole point of the camper type trailer is to go "soft.". Being able to take hot showers and wash dishes freely are part of the soft, easy purpose of towing a trailer for me.

So, do I "need" 40gal of water? Not at all. Will I enjoy my hot showers? Absolutely.

Well I guess that explains that! :bike_rider: With 70 gals of gas, I would agree with your decision. Hot showers are a good thing! :wings:

adventurebuddies

Adventurer
Progress!

Today I ordered the axle and springs/hangers and shock mounts. My fabricator started cutting metal as well so I'll be posting up build pics of the frame along the way. Also, a few design changes based on input from everyone including new water tank setup and a longer tongue. I've also designed the central mechanical systems like electronics and plumbing. More on that as I build it.

The purpose with going with 4 water tanks is I gain 3" of ground clearance by putting tanks on either side of the center spine rather than having to mount the tanks below the center spine. Also, with shut off valves at each tank, I can separate them which means that less wateris lost if one tank fails.

Here's the updated frame design:

Attachments

• Frame design longer tongue.jpg
    Frame design longer tongue.jpg
    303.2 KB · Views: 123

cjm

Adventurer
springs

Softest springs I ever saw were on an old Datsun mini truck. Saw tons at the wrecking yards. Just a thought, oh and there hangers have built in shock attachments.

adventurebuddies

Adventurer
Wow, Google sketchup is very cool. Still getting the hang of it, but I have a working drawing. Can't figure out how to post it though.

socaljeeper

Adventurer
Seems like a good idea. Are you planning on painting the outside of the shell, or leave it as is? Also, have you worked out the weight distribution with having 36 gallons of water, tongue box with 2 agm batteries, and the generator up front? How long are your trips, will you need a generator if you have two batteries?

adventurebuddies

Adventurer
Seems like a good idea. Are you planning on painting the outside of the shell, or leave it as is? Also, have you worked out the weight distribution with having 36 gallons of water, tongue box with 2 agm batteries, and the generator up front? How long are your trips, will you need a generator if you have two batteries?

I will leave it white since the LandCruiser is white. I've worked out the weight in my mindbut will have to tweak it once it's built. Most likely all mechanical systems including batteries will be in a special access hole in the back. The back will also have the weight of the spare tire and galley and the Norcold 60 which weighs around 65lbs empty. My bigger concern is that I will need more weight on the tongue .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles