AdventureBuddies Aluminum Offroad Teardrop build

adventurebuddies

Adventurer
Hey everyone. I've enjoyed reading all of the ongoing build threads and thought I'd post up my own project. Would love any suggestions or insight you have to offer.

I don't have time to try to fully build this myself so I'm subcontracting some of the stuff that is beyond my skills or at least would take me 10x longer than a pro to build. So, I got the idea to find a professionally built teardrop "shell" and drop that onto a trailer frame of my own design. I really wanted to find an aluminum teardrop shell since I feel like it will last longer and be lighter than wood. I also learned that an aluminum trailer frame would be cost prohibitive so I'm using steel for that.

After lots of searching, I found a trailer manufacturer back east that makes a "squared off" teadrop with a welded aluminum frame and aluminum skin. They don't have any dealers west of the Mississippi but they happened to have a demo model about 2 hours from where I live so I checked it out and bought it about a year ago. It's been in storage since then and I'm finally getting the chance to start the project.

Pics below of the trailer as it came from the manufacturer:

Attachments

• P1010762.JPG
    P1010762.JPG
    126.4 KB · Views: 725
  • P1010763.JPG
    P1010763.JPG
    97.1 KB · Views: 622
  • P1010765.JPG
    P1010765.JPG
    87.3 KB · Views: 551
Last edited:

adventurebuddies

Adventurer
Next step is to get the frame built. I plan to order a Dexter 3500# axle with 10" electric brakes and I will match the track width of the trailer to the tow vehicle.

I need a little help with springs if anyone can make some suggestions. I definately want to stick with leaf springs for simple field repairability. It seems that others have used Samurai or Wrangler springs. Does anyone know how longs those are?

For shocks I was thinking of buying the Rancho 9000xl but don't know what length to get. Is it best to build the trailer first and see what the ride height comes out to before buying shocks?

Below is my sketch using the hi-tech Microsoft Paint:
Frame built of 2x3 x1/8" steel tube. The center "spine" of the trailer frame is 2.5" receiver tube that goes all the way through. I will have an "extendable" tongue that can removed from the front and "plugged" into the back to tow the trailer backwards if necessary for recovery. Having the continuous center tube will also allow the rear hitch receiver to be used for recovery.

Attachments

• Frame design.jpg
    Frame design.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 366

adventurebuddies

Adventurer
One of the features I'm most excited about is the water tanks under the chassis. There will be two 21 gal tanks tucked under there with skid plates and I will plumb it all to an instant propane water heater with Surflo pump.

Attachments

• side profile.jpg
    side profile.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 249
  • Rear view.jpg
    Rear view.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 189

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
Looks like you have a great stat and a great little trailer there.

I agree with with everything except the water tank behind the rear wheels.

Weight like that (160 lbs.plus the spare, another 75 or so) can do some squirrelly things. I'm not an engineer, but I don't think you would enjoy the ride with that much weight positioned past the rear wheels.

Look forward to the progress...good luck!

Pat

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
This the Micro-Lite Trailer "Wazat" right? Did you buy just the pod or the entire trailer? I was thinking about doing a similar thing ... down the road ... when funds permit. Will follow this thread closely! :coffeedrink:

Micro-Lite also has another very interesting little trailer, the "Car-Go Lite".

car-go_lite2500.jpg

car-go_lite_(13)500.jpg

car-go_right_int.jpg

adventurebuddies

Adventurer
Weight like that (160 lbs.plus the spare, another 75 or so) can do some squirrelly things. I'm not an engineer, but I don't think you would enjoy the ride with that much weight positioned past the rear wheels.

Pat

Agreed. That's good input - thanks. I plan to plumb the tanks separately so I don't have to fill that back one. The front will have a good amount of weight with the tongue box containing two AGM batteries and a Honda 1000 generator. So hopefully that helps balance it a bit. I've also thought about a smaller tank inside the cabin for cold weather trips to prevent freezing so that could be used for counter balance. So far, just doing thought experiments on how I think it will behave.

In theory, I could relocate that back water tank and have both in front of the axle. Your thoughts?

adventurebuddies

Adventurer
This the Micro-Lite Trailer "Wazat" right? Did you buy just the pod or the entire trailer? I was thinking about doing a similar thing ... down the road ... when funds permit. Will follow this thread closely!

Correct. Build quality is fantastic. That other one is really cool too. I bought the whole thing so I'll probably sell the "utility trailer" portion to help fund some of the project. Registered it today so I have a license plate on it finally after owning it for 8 months.

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
Agreed. That's good input - thanks. I plan to plumb the tanks separately so I don't have to fill that back one. The front will have a good amount of weight with the tongue box containing two AGM batteries and a Honda 1000 generator. So hopefully that helps balance it a bit. I've also thought about a smaller tank inside the cabin for cold weather trips to prevent freezing so that could be used for counter balance. So far, just doing thought experiments on how I think it will behave.

In theory, I could relocate that back water tank and have both in front of the axle. Your thoughts?

A few thoughts...

I really like the movable weight option....it may help in the long run for weight distribution throughout the whole trailer. I don't think the 2 tanks in front are a bad option either though. I often thought to get near to where you are going and then fill the water tanks, but not knowing what someone elses water source is, could make for a miserable weekend if you know what I mean.

I think those 5 gallon LCI Indus. plastic cans are good as anything...maybe a couple mounted on or in the 80? I actually carry a 12v pump and a roll up flat hose, and a little clorox. I wouldn't hesitate to fill from a small, clean stream....just not drink it.

If you can fit 2 tanks underneth...I think that would awesome, and if you don't need it, just don't fill it.

I don't the 80 will care if there's an extra couple hundred pounds of tongue weight...:ylsmoke:

Pat

yubert

Explorer
The "squared off" teadrop looks nice. After spending time in RVs and trailers, I've been thinking about ditching the tent and getting something with hard walls. Maybe I'll go this route too. Anyway, the video below might give you ideas of features to incorporate into your teardrop.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpauUSmtJmA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpauUSmtJmA[/ame]

adventurebuddies

Adventurer
After doing a little research, it seems that the OME Jeep YJ springs offer a softer ride than some of the others out there. Considering it will be controlled with shocks, these seem like a good option. Just checking into pricing now.

Don't know whether to get fronts or rears. I'm guessing the front of the Jeep is closer in weight to the trailer than the rear.

Markus

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
To the OP, I like that one it's great and you can reach the galley from inside so you don't have to get out there at night to get something or in a heavy rain, looks like you can fix something to eat without getting wet! Great design!

mudbutt

Explorer
I'm no expert by any means, and hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in on this, but.....

If you mount an aluminum body to a steel frame, don't you have to worry about electrolysis?

adventurebuddies

Adventurer
If you mount an aluminum body to a steel frame, don't you have to worry about electrolysis?

Hadn't thought of that - great point. I was thinking of putting a sheet of that white plastic material that is used in marine applications on top of the frame before setting the camper on it to help keep water/mud off of the camper itself. So, now with the potential for electrolysis that sounds like it's worth the cost. There is a supllier right near me so that will be easy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles