Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best pop up for a Tacoma?

Default Best pop up for a Tacoma?

For various reasons I am probably going to end up with a Tacoma. It fits into the parking garage at work (1/2 ton plus won't), good off road. The next question is what is the best pop-up camper for it. I have heard good things about the FWC campers and saw the sticky. One of my requirements is that I be able to get the camper off and on the truck easily and be able to use the camper off the truck. I have heard the FWC will fail one or both tests. True, baloney, better options? Thanks.

It is OK to use the four wheel campers off the truck as long as you give the floor some support. Really no big deal. Something as small as an old milk crate under the floor, or some small plywood criss crosses to give the floor support while you are camping in the camper off the truck is OK.

Some sample pictures here in this old thread that also covers this same sort of topic ...

http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...ad.php?t=46673

Depending on the customer, the four wheel campers are pretty easy to take on & off.

As long as you order the 4 corner mechanical camper jacks and the drill bit adaptor, it is not too bad. The hardest part for most customers putting the internal turn buckles back on.

Hopefully other FWC owners will chime in with thier experiences too.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Stan Kennedy

stan@fourwh.com

Four Wheel Pop-up Campers / Six-Pac Campers
    www.FourWheelCampers.com
    www.Six-Pac.com
    109 Pioneer Avenue
    Woodland, CA 95776
    1-530-666-1442 - phone
    1-800-242-1442 - toll free
    1-530-666-1486 - fax

I built a rolling platform that my FWC sets on. It is the same height as the truck bed and has storage below. I like it because I can tinker on the camper while it is off of the truck.
    I can load my camper by myself in 30-45 minutes and that includes removing my snug top shell. With my son we can do it in 15 minutes.
    For me the FWC is perfection. I like waking up to a nice warm camper and make my coffee still in my PJ's. Also, I have my porta-potti inside too.
    Hope this helps.
    Jeff
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!"
    Hunter S. Thompson

2010 Tacoma DC 4x4 lb
    FWC Eagle highly modified SOLD AND MISSED.
    2003 4RUNNER V8,
    2000 UZJ100
    5X10 Haulmark trailer done and ready to rock
    Heart attack survivor 2/23/2011

I like the FWC product a lot. However, I recognize there are just as many ATC fans and a growing fan base for the Phoenix Campers.

Alright, this is just fancy car camping, people. Move along, move along.

I would take anyone of them if I could afford it right now

There are quite a few options and there are pros/cons. The FWC and ATC are probably the lightest-weight. The Northstars and Hallmarks are popular and have more space. Phoenix specializes in customization. Sun-Lite is another wood-framed option. The FWC Fleet (in NothingClever's post above) is wider than the other compact truck FWC's--it's probably close to the same width as the wood-framed campers. The other FWC's are more narrow-bodied.

A new camper wasn't an option for me so I browsed Craigslist for a while. I found a $500 Four Seasons (no longer made) that I could re-model and modify to my liking. It's wood-framed, but it's roomy and has worked out really well for me.

I saw you're interested in off-road ability in your last post. You might want to look for a Tacoma with the TRD-off-road package (look for the decals on the bed-sides like NothingClever's truck, above) It includes a selectable differential locker in the rear axle that makes a big difference with traction in tough spots. With a button push, it locks both rear axle-shafts together so that you get full torque to both back tires (in low-range only). The TRD-sport package includes a rear limited slip differential that is helpful but doesn't have as much of a traction advantage as the locker, off-road.

I have an automatic, ratcheting rear locker (Lock-right, by Powertrax). It gives you the traction advantage but takes a little while to get used to on the road. It is probably the lowest-cost and easiest-to-install aftermarket locker. The Toyota TRD locker, however, normally operates like a regular, open differential with no handling draw-backs until the button is pushed.

Fresh paint:

Eric
    Last edited by tanglefoot; 02-25-2011 at 04:39 PM.
    '85 4Runner & Four-Seasons Magnum pop-up

Thanks for the feedback. I finally got around to driving a Tacoma and did not like it much--a little anemic and I found the seats uncomfortable. I am going to check out the Dakota next, can get a V8. I like the FWC, but also want to check out the Dakota.

Fuel economy on a Dakota with a V-8 isn't any better than a full size half ton.
    Crew dog, Dust Junkies Racing, Three time Baja 1000 Champions, Class 1700 (Jeepspeed)

Quote Originally Posted by bob91yj View Post
    Fuel economy on a Dakota with a V-8 isn't any better than a full size half ton.

I know. I am frustratingly constrained by parking limitations at work.

Quote Originally Posted by diver110 View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. I finally got around to driving a Tacoma and did not like it much--a little anemic and I found the seats uncomfortable. I am going to check out the Dakota next, can get a V8. I like the FWC, but also want to check out the Dakota.
    the trd sport seats compared to the regular tacoma seats are night and day. dakota interior felt cheap and stiff seats imo. plus reliability wise id take the import over a chrysler product anyday. but thats just my .02$
    2008 Tacoma TRD Sport DC LB - 285/70R17 BFG KM2's, Bilstein 5100's, OME 886 Coils, Front winch bumper, XRC8, 7" HID spots on front, 4.5" aux rear lights, HC Rear Bumper with swing away, skids, CB, Bedlined Lower half....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast