Best pop up for a Tacoma?

diver110

For various reasons I am probably going to end up with a Tacoma. It fits into the parking garage at work (1/2 ton plus won't), good off road. The next question is what is the best pop-up camper for it. I have heard good things about the FWC campers and saw the sticky. One of my requirements is that I be able to get the camper off and on the truck easily and be able to use the camper off the truck. I have heard the FWC will fail one or both tests. True, baloney, better options? Thanks.

Stan@FourWheel

Explorer
It is OK to use the four wheel campers off the truck as long as you give the floor some support. Really no big deal. Something as small as an old milk crate under the floor, or some small plywood criss crosses to give the floor support while you are camping in the camper off the truck is OK.

Some sample pictures here in this old thread that also covers this same sort of topic ...

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46673

Depending on the customer, the four wheel campers are pretty easy to take on & off.

As long as you order the 4 corner mechanical camper jacks and the drill bit adaptor, it is not too bad. The hardest part for most customers putting the internal turn buckles back on.

Hopefully other FWC owners will chime in with thier experiences too.

Attachments

• Wood Camper Base.jpg
    Wood Camper Base.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 78

Jeff Wanamog

Off Road Camper Guy
I built a rolling platform that my FWC sets on. It is the same height as the truck bed and has storage below. I like it because I can tinker on the camper while it is off of the truck.
I can load my camper by myself in 30-45 minutes and that includes removing my snug top shell. With my son we can do it in 15 minutes.
For me the FWC is perfection. I like waking up to a nice warm camper and make my coffee still in my PJ's. Also, I have my porta-potti inside too.
Hope this helps.
Jeff
IMGP0259.jpg

NothingClever

Explorer
I like the FWC product a lot. However, I recognize there are just as many ATC fans and a growing fan base for the Phoenix Campers.

IMGP1437.jpg

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
There are quite a few options and there are pros/cons. The FWC and ATC are probably the lightest-weight. The Northstars and Hallmarks are popular and have more space. Phoenix specializes in customization. Sun-Lite is another wood-framed option. The FWC Fleet (in NothingClever's post above) is wider than the other compact truck FWC's--it's probably close to the same width as the wood-framed campers. The other FWC's are more narrow-bodied.

A new camper wasn't an option for me so I browsed Craigslist for a while. I found a $500 Four Seasons (no longer made) that I could re-model and modify to my liking. It's wood-framed, but it's roomy and has worked out really well for me.

I saw you're interested in off-road ability in your last post. You might want to look for a Tacoma with the TRD-off-road package (look for the decals on the bed-sides like NothingClever's truck, above) It includes a selectable differential locker in the rear axle that makes a big difference with traction in tough spots. With a button push, it locks both rear axle-shafts together so that you get full torque to both back tires (in low-range only). The TRD-sport package includes a rear limited slip differential that is helpful but doesn't have as much of a traction advantage as the locker, off-road.

I have an automatic, ratcheting rear locker (Lock-right, by Powertrax). It gives you the traction advantage but takes a little while to get used to on the road. It is probably the lowest-cost and easiest-to-install aftermarket locker. The Toyota TRD locker, however, normally operates like a regular, open differential with no handling draw-backs until the button is pushed.

Fresh paint:
P1020252.jpg

Eric

Last edited:

diver110

Thanks for the feedback. I finally got around to driving a Tacoma and did not like it much--a little anemic and I found the seats uncomfortable. I am going to check out the Dakota next, can get a V8. I like the FWC, but also want to check out the Dakota.

nucktaco

Adventurer
Thanks for the feedback. I finally got around to driving a Tacoma and did not like it much--a little anemic and I found the seats uncomfortable. I am going to check out the Dakota next, can get a V8. I like the FWC, but also want to check out the Dakota.

the trd sport seats compared to the regular tacoma seats are night and day. dakota interior felt cheap and stiff seats imo. plus reliability wise id take the import over a chrysler product anyday. but thats just my .02$

the trd sport seats compared to the regular tacoma seats are night and day. dakota interior felt cheap and stiff seats imo. plus reliability wise id take the import over a chrysler product anyday. but thats just my .02$

My Tacoma import was made in Texas:sombrero:

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
If you really don't like the Tacoma, the Nissan Frontier is another option and I believe it's readily available with a supercharged v6.

You can't always go by the numbers when evaluating performance. In the 1998 FourWheeler mag test, they said the 3.4 Tacoma felt more powerful than the Dakota 5.2 There are just so many variables--power curves, gearing, weight, torque converter tightness, pedal calibration, etc.... Some feel powerful because they launch off the line readily, but then you find that they just have sensitive throttles and when you try to get more out of them, they don't deliver.

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
I love my Tacoma. It was made in Freemont Ca but others are made/finished in Mexico and Texas. Great looking rigs here. Although I have only owned Toyota trucks the newer version of the 2nd gen Tacoma TRD Off-Roads are quite capable with all the off roading features.

Kya

Adventurer
Keep in mind there is virtually no aftermarket support for Dodge Dakotas. Lift kits are non-existent and I have have had to custom build all by body armor. Just a something to think about.

aquaholic

For various reasons I am probably going to end up with a Tacoma. It fits into the parking garage at work (1/2 ton plus won't), good off road. The next question is what is the best pop-up camper for it. I have heard good things about the FWC campers and saw the sticky. One of my requirements is that I be able to get the camper off and on the truck easily and be able to use the camper off the truck. I have heard the FWC will fail one or both tests. True, baloney, better options? Thanks.

If your still looking I know that Nissan Frontier's work well with FWC campers. They are a lot less pricy than the Tacoma as well. Here's a FWC Eagle and a 4X4 Nissan on craig's list you might check out: http://lexington.craigslist.org/rvs/2298061065.html

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles