Excited New Member....Trying to decide bwt grille guard or front-end replacement?

nick325i

Adventurer
Hey guys, I am a new member from Texas, but I am currently working in Oklahoma. I am very excited about learning more about the expedition hobby!

I have a 2009 Silverado Z71 with a few small improvements (2" Leveling Kit, 305-65/18 AT BFG's, Programmer). I want to do something to the front-end next. I am thinking I want either a Frontier Truck Gear Front End Replacement or Grille Guard.

http://frontier-gear.com/html/ChevyFBR/ChevyFBRGallery.html

http://frontier-gear.com/html/ChevyGG/ChevyGGGallery.html

The grille guard is obviously less expensive and I like the way it looks. I am also considering the front end replacement because it looks like it will add some to my approach angle and it is a little tougher than the factory bumper but is more expensive (almost twice the price) and I am concerned about adding too much additional weight to my front end.

I am leaning towards the grille guard because of the price and it fits my personal taste a little better, but the function of the whole front-end seems cool too.

Sorry for the long first post! I look forward to y'all's opinion!

nick325i

Adventurer
I know the front-end replacement is approx. 180 lbs and the grille guard alone is approx. 110 lbs.

Does anyone know the weight of the factory bumper on an 07 - present silverado? I can't imagine it being too heavy, but I guess I could see it approaching 70 lbs. In that case the weight difference wouldn't be an issue.

My other issue is I want a 2" receiver up front for a winch at some point. I know that this is probably an option with the front-end replacement.

Snafu

Adventurer
I'm in the same boat but I've been looking at a tough country grille guard that has a winch tray built in....the ARB bumper is what I really want but all that extra weight on a half ton sounds a bit much.

If I had a dedicated trail rig like I'm planning for, I'd swap out the bumper in a heart beat...I think the daily driver will be alright with tough country style grille guard

nick325i

Adventurer
I think the ARB is great too. If weight and money wasn't an issue that's what I would go for.

I am thinking a heavy-duty grille guard is the way I am going now. I will probably do a front receiver for a winch soon too and lower gears.

TreeTopFlyer

Adventurer
Troll craigslist for bumpers, use searchtempest which will search in a radius from your zip.

Around here, I have seen replacement bumpers go in the 3-600 range. I picked mind up for 175, but had a friend powdercoat it. If you are stuck on a particular design you might be SOL finding a used one though.

I just wanted a simple ranchhand style, and everyone and their brother copies those. It wasn't hard to find. The stock bumper on yours is probably around 40-50lbs.

There are A LOT of deer running around town from people feeding them, so a heavy bumper was a must for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior