Used U-500 GXV for sale

chrismc

Adventurer
I received this via email from Global Expedition Vehicles this morning. I have no affiliation with the seller, I'm just passing it along in case anyone is interested.
This 2003 Mercedes Unimog U500 has 33,584 miles, telligent transmission, CTIS, electric windows, cruise, H08 hydraulics, front winch with synthetic rope (minor oil leak) and the VIN number is WD6DE4CS134202542. This chassis is in excellent condition and the home built 12' Expedition body has been completely refurbished with all new flooring, walls, ceiling, bathroom and more. We are showing only a couple of exterior pictures because the exterior refurbishing is incomplete. We will show a full photo gallery of the exterior pictures upon completion.

The price is $179,000 which make this a great value because a U500 chassis alone is valued at $90,000.

Remember, this year of Unimog is capable of travel anywhere in the world, due to its ability to burn high sulfur fuels. This 154” wheelbase and 12 foot body will be ideal for the single traveler or couple that requires maximum maneuverability and a light foot print.
More info at globalxvehicles.com.

U-500-w-300x199.jpg

Contact Dave Mezo, GXV Sales Manager, for more information (417-582-5050).

Blackeye

Adventurer, Overland Certified OC0008
I had a chance to check this rig out while I was there. The cabin area is nicely configured. It is spaciously cozy in that it feels open but is really quite compact. Run the numbers. If the Mercedes Unimog U500 is your type of chassis, you'd be hard pressed to find a better package.

dzzz

Hard to tell, but it may not be a 70 mph version. That would be a disadvantage on Interstates. Some of the older trucks had 365 tires and didn't have the mph upgrade.
Don't see work gears listed either.
70mph, work gears, CTIS would be the three options most people would want. Camper looks nice but short. Definitely sized to maximize off road travel. The whole package is probably only 23'

michaelvanpelt

Observer
Hard to tell, but it may not be a 70 mph version. That would be a disadvantage on Interstates. Some of the older trucks had 365 tires and didn't have the mph upgrade.
Don't see work gears listed either.
70mph, work gears, CTIS would be the three options most people would want. Camper looks nice but short. Definitely sized to maximize off road travel. The whole package is probably only 23'

This unit while is not our body is a nice unit. It is set up for 70MPH, has working gears and CTIS. It is almost exactly 23 feet long so a good guess by dzzz. It is a great livable size for 2 people and possibly a child as it does have the 3 seat option in the cab

The cabin boasts a new interior, a NEW 90 gal fresh water tank, 3 each NEW 8DL Lifeline batteries @255 amp hours each, 2 solar panels, 2 Fantastic fans, and a new Honda 3000is electric start generator for backup power. Remote start can be added to generator.

It's unusual to find a used Expedition Vehicle this nice and at a great price.

2wheelbob

Adventurer
Anyone have any 'real world' experience with these unimog based rigs? How's the noise rolling down the highway? Are parts readily available? What kind of mileage do they get? I've read a bunch about them but never knew anyone with a new one to talk to. My wife and I just visited Earthroamer and we were looking at a used 2005. The only problem is the Ford chassis and especially the 6.0 PSD engine. Thanks in advance!

Bob

LukeH

Adventurer
Anyone have any 'real world' experience with these unimog based rigs? How's the noise rolling down the highway? Are parts readily available? What kind of mileage do they get? I've read a bunch about them but never knew anyone with a new one to talk to. My wife and I just visited Earthroamer and we were looking at a used 2005. The only problem is the Ford chassis and especially the 6.0 PSD engine. Thanks in advance!

Bob

Do a search for posts from m37charlie; he has a Unicat mounted on one of these recent mogs.
In and among his contributions he mentions how pleasant they are to drive and all that. I think he's travelling in it at the moment, which would explain why we've seen less of his posts.
Happy searching

michaelvanpelt

Observer
Real World Experience

Bob
Because I am the seller you may want to accept or discount the things that I say about the Unimog's as you wish. But I do have a lot of experience with the U500 Unimogs ( I have owned 9 or 10) and some experience with the SBU Unimogs. (The older versions)
The noise driving down the road is no greater than the noise of any off-road truck that has off-road tires and wheels including the EarthRoamer if it has the Continental tire upgrade.. The Unimog trucks ride very smooth due to the coil spring suspension, air ride seats and flex cab mount. Parts are very readily available from the warehouse in Memphis and can be ordered from most Freightliner dealerships. The Field Service Manager and the President of Unimog North America are both readily available to talk to anyone about the Unimogs. Both men are very passionate and extremely knowledgeable about their product. Both have hopes that the Unimog will be reintroduced in the future into the United States. You can call me and I will be happy to provide their numbers.

I have put over 100,000 miles behind the wheel of these trucks and about 50,000 miles in South America. These trucks are probably the most serviceable chassis on the planet for service outside the United States. Within the United States they are not near as serviceable as the Ford. You however rarely hear of anyone having a problem with these trucks . So I guess it depends on if you plan on staying within the continental USA or across the borders.

The Ford 6.0 L engine was a terrible option. It was this engine and the associated poor fuel consumption and turbocharger problems that kept us out of the Domestic Ford UXV build. Our UXV-550 was originally designed in 2006 and could have been introduced any time prior to 2011. We chose not to introduce the UXV until Ford introduced a worthy motor to this otherwise good domestic chassis. We considered that engine a detriment and an example was the Unicat MXT Turbo Blew on the way to the Overland Expo in 2009 and showed up two days late. I had read of many instances similar to this on various Ford blogs. The 7.3 L Ford engine was a fantastic motor and we believe the 6.7 L Ford engine will become known as a great motor also, HOWEVER,

I join the rest of the world in stating that the UNIMOG is probably the most capable chassis on the planet.

The U500 with a Unicat camper is very comfortable todrive.
At 50-62 mph it gets 8-9 mpg fully loaded and we can easily
listen to the CD player.
I get parts locally 4-5 mi from my house at the local Detroit
Diesel dealer, they can get ALL parts, not just motor. I haven't needed them for any difficult non motor repais like
portal bearings, but considering I have the complete workshop
manual on CD....
In Australia there are several chains that can do parts and
service. MB, Foso/MB, Detroit Diesel.
Almost every country has MB dealers and workshops.
But often parts need to ordered from out of country. So I
carry alot of essential parts.

Charlie

dzzz

Anyone have any 'real world' experience with these unimog based rigs? ....

Bob

Be aware that your head is about 8 feet off the ground when driving. I like that usually, but it's easy to under appreciate the size of the truck in person. Not that an F550 camper on big tires is small.
Having owned or driven several types of medium duty trucks I'm pleasantly surprised with the U500. Mine hasn't been fully loaded yet but I already like it. It has a sophisticated feel and ride, which in my experience doesn't exists in less expensive trucks of similar rating.
One downside is that it attracts attention. But all the campers in this category probably do.

Stupid question, but why do people buy things like this and then sell them without using them much?
Charlie
Lately in France, Germany, Poland, Latvia, Lithuania, Ukraine, Russia/Siberia, Mongolia

Last edited:

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
This is the line that jumps out at me -

OVER 34000 $ IN MAINTENANCE AND SERVICE DONE IN THE LAST 2 YEARS

foxhunter

Adventurer
looks like this one is back up for sale again...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/112067676913

Axfo2MJh.jpg

I believe this is the unit that my wife and I went to GXV to buy in 2011 at a price of around $170k as I recall(ended up building a new one). If that is the one, it has an aluminum box that GXV took in trade and remodeled the interior. I suspect that this body will not have the insulation that most GXV vehicles have. The bathroom was also in the entrance to the vehicle, due to the short 12 foot box.
So after 4 years experience driving my GXV with a 16ft box, and an extended 181 inch wheelbase I have come to the conclusion that while that shorter box gives you more off road ability, these trucks are really "bad road "vehicles, not off road vehicles, simply due to size and weight(and cost). So getting a little more room with a longer box is a good trade off for losing a little off-road ability. That said, if I were traveling alone, the 12 foot box would be preferable to me. If I were traveling with one other adult, the extra room is much more comfortable.
Driving my 2003 U500 down the highway is more comfortable than driving long distances in my 2005 ford excursion. Road noise comes from the tires, but we listen to the radio with no problem and converse in a normal voice. It is reassuring to be sitting high with that big windshield when off road, because you can see everything. Alot of people complain about the air conditioning, but we have found it to be fine, until the temperature hits 95 F and you are driving into the sun . 8 mpg at 62 mph(the most comfortable cruising speed for me)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles