What Is The Best Topo Map App For iPad

loren85022

Explorer
I use a free one called pdf-maps (i think it was free, or dang cheap). I like it because you download and store the entire topo-map. This to me makes more sense that Motion-X, which I have and like, where you outline an area of topo while 3G/wifi connected and then use later offline. The biggest dislike is that when you venture from one map to another, it doesnt pull up the 2nd. So you look at the map's edge and get the name of the next map. I paid for Motion-X as well and it has numerous bells and whistles I like, but I guess I'm still semi-old school.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Are there any packages that allow you to download and save map sections/quadrants to an SD card that you can then load into the ipad using the camera connect kit while remote (i.e. w/out wifi or cell access)??

That kind of setup would be ideal imho since the ipad is limited in storage space and sd cards or powered hdd are cheap remote storage solutions

CruiserMog

A few thoughts:

The camera kit SD card reader in an un-jailbroken iPad will only recognize image formats, and I believe it's impossible to retain the geo positioning data imbedded in the geo-PDF format in a conversion to an image file, and without the geo data the maps will be useless in a GPS program.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
A few thoughts:

The camera kit SD card reader in an un-jailbroken iPad will only recognize image formats, and I believe it's impossible to retain the geo positioning data imbedded in the geo-PDF format in a conversion to an image file, and without the geo data the maps will be useless in a GPS program.

I love how a company (hello Apple) makes a platform with such great potential, then intentionally cripples it so you cant do what you want on it.
:smilies27:mad::pROFSheriffHL:

DaveM

Explorer
A few thoughts:

On the map creation side you can usually output a map file to either GeoPDF or GeoTIFF. If the software you are using the TIFFwith can read a world file you may be able to create that yourself in notepad.

As for map apps, I think this was mentioned but I'll second it: "PDF Maps" from Avenza, available on iTunes. http://www.avenza.com/pdf-maps. Very simple GeospatialPDF reader that also reads GeoTIFFs. Maps can be preloaded (free access to US topos from inside the application) and used without data connection. You can add way points, notes, get distances, input coordinates etc. Basically takes what would be a standard static map and overlays some essentail GPS functionality. I suspect that new versions of the app will have auto loading and other enhancements. There will be a map store in the near future where cartographers (like me!) can put up special purpose maps designed for particular areas or uses with much higher detail and better design than most in cab GPS units now use.

sanfordturbo

Has anyone tried "Pathaway" on the ipad? http://pathaway.com/

I've used it for years on my windows mobile phone, but got screwed when i upgraded to an android. Now i see they support ipad/ipod and are working on an android version.

I used the Nat Geo Topo software to export my topo maps from the computer app in a png format. Then used the pathaway pc tools to insert GPS coordinates onto the image i exported. This creates a PRC format that Pathaway uses to correlate GPS data onto your images. Worked well with the Win Mobile phone, but curious about the ipad version.

I have already jailbroken my ipad2 and can now recognize my generic bluetooth GPS puck picked up for cheap on ebay.

It may be a pain to create my own maps, but it isn't very difficult to do since I already own the TOPO product on CDROM for the US SouthEast region. http://www.natgeomaps.com/topo.html

Just curious if anyone on here has tried this out yet. If it sucks, I won't waste my time.

ralphie619

ipad maps

i use the gaia app with a little device called a BAD ELF GPS. and it works great!
the BAD ELF just plugs in to the port on the bottom of the ipad and you get GPS without a siginal. check out BAD-ELF.com.

Holger

Observer
I use pathaway and am very happy with it. I used it for years on my palm and loved it. So I got the full version for the iPhone/ Pad. You can download maps or use your own, as before on the windows/palm machines.
The full version is not cheap, but imho by far the best app out there. Haven't even looked at motion X, gaja or mud maps since I've got pathaway.
Also works togehter with TTQV (very happy ) or Fugawi.
Well worth looking into it.

Last edited:

Uglyduck

Adventurer
iHikeGPS

I didn't see this in the thread already and I don't own it yet but I thought it worth mentioning.

It appears similar to Topo Maps, which I have and like, but with some improvements. It will import GPX files (tracks or waypoints) as well as record them which Topo Maps doesn't do. You can also download Forest Service maps, which show far more fire roads in my area than the 7.5 quads.

I'm going to pick up a Dual BT GPS receiver and try this out on my non-3G iPad. It strikes me as having all the features I wish Topo Maps had. Anyone already using it?

iHikeGPS

off-roader

Expedition Leader

Does it already include the maps or do you have to download them for each trip?
Are they line drawn topo maps or scanned USGS maps?

the Dual gps is decent although it isn't as sensitive as the USB Sirfstar III gps receiver that I use with my laptop.

That said, it's usually pretty reliable and straight forward. I find I usually have to disable my iPad Wifi before connecting to the Dual unit or it simply won't communicate properly and won't display your position.

Uglyduck

Adventurer
Does it already include the maps or do you have to download them for each trip?
Are they line drawn topo maps or scanned USGS maps?

You download the maps and can cache them. I haven't loaded the app yet so I'm unsure if they're line drawn or scans. Will report back.

Uglyduck

Adventurer
Just downloaded it. Initial thoughts:

The detail is excellent and the USGS quads look like a paper map with a key, declination, etc.

The program doesn't mosaic multiple guads like Topo Maps does, a feature I really like. I'm curious to see if the program will automatically switch to the next quad when in transit.

Redraw is a little sluggish

When I get the Dual I'll play with it more in the field. I also want to check out PathAway.

grntrdtaco

Adventurer
i just switched from topo maps that i had been using for a very long time (before the ipad came out on my iphone) and stopped using it because the maps are incredibly out of date in my area (colorado). transfer trail is not on the glenwood map and most of the flat tops is completely out of date.

I just installed offline topo maps and it shows small 2 track roads much clearer on the maps onscreen. they seem to be colored in where they are just dotted lines in topo maps. otherwise they seem like the identical USGS maps that everyone is using

downloading huge areas seems much easier in the new app as well, and i am generally very very happy with it. I still have topo maps installed for a few features that it has (distance as the crow flies, shading what is and isn't visible from the current location and a few others that the offline topo maps does not have.)

you cant really go wrong with either but if i were to choose today i would install offline topo maps just because of the better visibility of forest service roads at a quick glance while driving instead of looking for a tiny dotted line on a map.

grntrdtaco

Adventurer
just found a serious drawback to the offlinetopomaps app.

there is no way to tell what you have already downloaded in terms of high rez maps like in topo maps

that is a seriously flaw for me.

tanadaear

Can you navigate?

All the iphone maps I've looked, MotionX, Gaia, Topomaps, MemoryMap, PDF Maps don't seem to have good navigation functions.

My old favorite was OziExplorer, you could import or enter waypoints, layout a route and then you would have a moving map display with navigation cues to your next waypoint and it would automaticly move to the next waypoint once you passed the current one.

You could set proximity alarms, avoidence areas, import all kinds of maps, route & waypoint data.

Does any of the discussed apps do this?

My hope is OziExplorer will release something for the iPad/iPhone otherwise I might buy a windows based tablet for Navigation.

Cheers, Roger

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne