What Is The Best Topo Map App For iPad

loren85022

Explorer
I'm playing with a $2 ipad app called Map Draw. Pretty slick way to draw a route. Basically you open google map in the app, then zoom in to the area of interest. Then tap from point to point. It calculates the distance.

Thus far seems clever. You can save the maps but it does a strange thing and zooms way out. So you recall the map and must zoom in to get what you had at exit. But it's there so just an annoyance. The tool also allows you to freehand draw lines and fill in areas with color. But unfortunately I didn't see you could type out description. It allows for map/sat/hybrid mode.
62ac5a2c-08c7-7dd6.jpg

Bonus points for knowing where the map points to.
(I'm not sure why this appears blurry. It's not in my app or the jpg I exported)

66rover99

I've been using Gaia for about a year now, after testing several others. The plus to me with Gaia is they listen. Whenever I've wanted a feature adjustment, the next version has it. Some examples are the bigger buttons on iPad, the preview of downloaded high-res maps on the download page so you know what you've already downloaded, and the clearing off of all unneeded buttons and panels with a swipe of the finger. I've also suggested incorporating a tipometer that will pop on screen if your truck goes over a preset angle, which they were interested in doing -- if they can find the programming time. Not a perfect product, but any time you can get a software company to listen to it's customers, you know you're going to get a program tailored to your needs. The only downside, is that the topo maps they have for free download are getting a bit dated in some cases, however I've found they show me some routes that were around 10-20 years back but have grown over a bit — which are right up my alley.

cheers, Dave

Last edited:
just looked a t the ipad 2 and really love it but have questions

I think that this would be great to use as a gps? what happens when you are out of cell signal range? I see alot of people are using map software. how does that work I mean I see the google earth thing and you can see where you are and where you are and where you are going, so would you use the gps soft ware to create tracks to folow or trails to leave behind? maybe some one who is more knowledge able that I can put together a mini tutorial with the pros and cons of using an ipad,
I have a dedicated gps that doesn't require a cell signal is there an adapter/ external antenna or something that would allow the i pad to work like a dedicated gps?

khronus79

Adventurer
maybe some one who is more knowledge able that I can put together a mini tutorial with the pros and cons of using an ipad,
I have a dedicated gps that doesn't require a cell signal is there an adapter/ external antenna or something that would allow the i pad to work like a dedicated gps?

I second this motion.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
I think that this would be great to use as a gps? what happens when you are out of cell signal range? I see alot of people are using map software. how does that work I mean I see the google earth thing and you can see where you are and where you are and where you are going, so would you use the gps soft ware to create tracks to folow or trails to leave behind? maybe some one who is more knowledge able that I can put together a mini tutorial with the pros and cons of using an ipad,

iPad I or II hardware:
Wifi will require an external gps. There are 3 total Apple authorized gps units available (dual XGPS 150 is what I use). Check you gps vendor to see if your unit is apple supported. Unless your dedicated gps is me of these 3, it won't work with an IPad.

Alternatively, if you jailbreak your iPad, then there are many, many more gps units available but you won't have Apples support for any of them or a jail broken iPad for that matter.

3G model has an integrated GPS chip and uses cell tower triangulation to assist with locating itself, however, the gps does work with or without a cell signal. It is not the highly regarded sirfstar III or IV chipset and will not perform as well as one but shouldbe adequate for open space 4 wheeling. I'm not sure how well it works using gps only whe driving through dense trees or in tall narrow canyons where gps reception can be challenging.

GPS Software:
Mostly two types.
1) street navigation which usually provides turn by turn directions and may either contain all of the required map data or can download them when you have Internet access whether that be via a public wifi access point or your home/office network.

2) topo navigation which may or may not include topo maps. For those without maps you will need to import or download the necessary maps for your trip prior to your departure. There is currently an active thread on the various topo mapping solutions. I'd check it out as well. When using most topo solutions you will need to anter or input all the waypoints for your trip, then follow them as you travel off road. Sometimes you will find obstacles minor to massively major tha you will need to either drive through or around.

3) mixed mode software with both topo and street data. Usually okay for either type but not as good as dedicated street or topo apps. Some may provide turn by turn directions for trips using known streets.

HTH.

Last edited:

66rover99

3G model has an integrated GPS chip and uses cell tower triangulation to assist with locating itself, however, the gps does work with or without a cell signal. It is not the highly regarded sirfstar III or IV chipset and will not perform as well as one but shouldbe adequate for open space 4 wheeling. I'm not sure how well it works using gps only whe driving through dense trees or in tall narrow canyons where gps reception can be challenging.

In my experience over the past few years... I have a 3G iPad 1 and here's what I've found.

- I don't have a cell/3G/Data account or even a SIM card installed. I only purchased this model because it includes the GPS internally and no data plan is required to make the GPS work.

- I've used quite a few GPS standalone units as well as USB and Bluetooth GPS units tethered to various PC and Mac laptops, and the built in GPS in the 3G iPad 1 is the most accurate I've used to date, and holds on to satellites better in bad conditions than any other unit I've used. Only twice in the past year on the trail has it lost signal, once in a deep gorge with heavy trees for a few hundred yards, and once while driving along an east-west canyon where we were in the bottom, and in that case it didn't lose signal, just lost accuracy for about a half mile before it was able to lock in again.

So what I'm saying, based on my experience is it may not have the latest and greatest chipset, but its going to be better than virtually anything else you might have purchased more than about 2 years ago.

I can't comment on any increases in accuracy on the iPad II GPS chipset, however i did notice after I had downloaded 50 - 60 large area maps (nearly half of Washington and the southern half of BC in all scales) on the iPad 1 that it slowed down a bit loading and previewing them, while an iPad II a friend of mine has seems a little bit snappier.

There are lots of topo map programs, but the features of Gaia, as I posted previously have made me a convert. I'd still like to check out HEMA one of these days as well.

Dave

reece146

Automotive Artist
Dave, whereabouts in your vehicle do you typically have the iPad mounted? Possible to post an image?

I am trying to decide between an iPad with a built in GPS reciever versus a non-built in. The built-in is likely plenty good for my purposes IF it is able to see the birds from where it would be located on the dash.

I like the idea of a external GPS so there is more flexibility on internal placement but it's a touch of a PITA for casual usage.

reece146

Automotive Artist
Btw, I have no sense of scale on what size iPad to buy... Last time I messed with this stuff it was laptop based and I didn't really think about the space requirements.

I'm guessing 32GB should be enough for a decent number of maps and space for other apps and data (music)?

loren85022

Explorer
If you plan to store topographic maps, consider 64 gb. Mine 32 is getting full. But I have all things Az in it so I'm good.

66rover99

I purchased the RAM Mount for iPad, and have it mounted about an inch above the dash on the windshield, similar to the picture below from the RAM site. While its bigger than your average GPS, it hasn't been an impediment to vision, and the RAM mount really sticks so there have been no issues with it falling off. Sorry I haven't got a photo of my own setup at the moment.
ramb166ap8iu1.jpg

Here's a link to the RAM page that lists most of their iPad mounts: http://www.ram-mount.com/NewProducts/AppleiPadMounts/tabid/2614/Default.aspx#appleipadpassivecradle They also have locking units, units for iPads with cases, and flexible brackets on the site.

Also, I have the heated windshield option on my Discovery and that hasn't affected it's capabilities.

As far as size, I only have the 32 GB, and currently there's quite a bit of room, but the day will come when I'll wish I had the 64 GB, I'm sure.

Dave

Last edited:

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
I have been using both TopoMaps and the newer Nat Geo Topo App.

I really like both TopoMaps, but the Nat Geo Topo App let's me download either/both the Quads and the Images. It is very nice to switch between the map and images. There are many times I am on a remote trail system that is not on the topo, but I can clearly see it from the image. It is nice to see where the trails come out or dead end, when the topos don't show them.

Last edited:

onelow1ton

Adventurer
ok so after reading what you guys have been saying i got MotionX GPS HD on my ipad wifi only and i downloaded my first maps to a trip I'm planning, omg it took for ever to download but its 99695 map tiles of the entire George Washington National Forest and i set the max zoom to 16 so i got great detail. So far i like the app and i like the maps it has , but my question is sense I'm wifi only I know I have to get an external gps but between the Dual XGPS150 and the Bad-Elf which one would work best for me because I plan to get a mount to mount the ipad on my center console so the Bad-Elf would not have a direct line of sight out the windshield I think it would still work just fine but the Dual I can put on the dash but then I have to run 2 chargers so the being said I would rather have the Bad-Elf. Well what do you guys think I should get the Dual or the Bad-Elf?

66rover99

I can't comment on either of the GPS adaptors you mentioned, but I can say that the iPad with a built in GPS doesn't seem to care whether it has a direct line of sight out the windshield or not. In addition, I have a heated windshield which has tiny wires running through it and older GPS receivers I've had always had trouble getting through this, but the iPad GPS doesn't seem to be aware its even there. I'm not suggesting that the built in GPS is anything exceptional, rather, that GPS technology has come a long way. Hopefully someone will have some actual experience to share.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
ok so after reading what you guys have been saying i got MotionX GPS HD on my ipad wifi only and i downloaded my first maps to a trip I'm planning, omg it took for ever to download but its 99695 map tiles of the entire George Washington National Forest and i set the max zoom to 16 so i got great detail. So far i like the app and i like the maps it has , but my question is sense I'm wifi only I know I have to get an external gps but between the Dual XGPS150 and the Bad-Elf which one would work best for me because I plan to get a mount to mount the ipad on my center console so the Bad-Elf would not have a direct line of sight out the windshield I think it would still work just fine but the Dual I can put on the dash but then I have to run 2 chargers so the being said I would rather have the Bad-Elf. Well what do you guys think I should get the Dual or the Bad-Elf?

SOFTWARE

MotionX GPS software
I have MotionX GPS as well and AM NOT a fan of having to download maps for each trip to a new area. It's a PITA and I've stopped trying to use MotionX partially because of that.

Scenic Maps software
Instead I've been using Scenic Maps topo software which comes with entire sections of the the USA. I purchased the Western States Region which includes, CA, NV, UT, AZ, OR, WA, ID, etc. (can see the exact coverage on their website or via the itunes store).

It's not a full hi res 24K topo map it does have sufficient detail for 90% of what I need a GPS for. The other 10% where I wish the data was there... well lets just say I'm gonna petition Scenic Maps to offer state based versions at 24K.

Pro's:
Cost (cheap at $10)
Interface... I like it. It's very simple and easy to use.
- Views include anywhere both from straight above (birds eye) to the horizon which means from any vertical perspective and either north always up or in the direction of travel.
Includes the map. No need to download small sections for each trip.
Maps include quite a bit of street data as well as topo information.
Includes many cities which are searchable.
Can import/export .gpx track files
Can enter individual waypoints as needed.
Will playback tracks you import or create.

Con's:
Map is low (100k?) resolution and not 24K so detail is lost.
Topo lines do not show altitude the way other topo maps do.
Cannot import .gpx waypoint files, just track files.
Would like a bit more granular control on what the maps show but that's a nit-picky con, and I'm definitely willing to overlook it.

HARDWARE
In terms of the GPS you should use here are my opinions...

Dual XGPS-150
I have one and use it with my 16GB Wifi only iPad. I've only tried to acquire a signal where I'm in a wide open space and it usually connects (sits almost directly under the rear most portion of the front windshield).

From what I can tell and from my limited research, it does not use a Sirfstar chipset and I'm not sure how the chipset used compares in a head to head comparison against the Sirfstars. I know I'd like it to be as good as the Sirfstar's but I don't believe it is (even close).

In normal use I keep it powered with a USB cigarette adapter. It's connected to a switched cigarette adapter plug (shuts off when the ignition's off) but the unit's internal battery continues to run the unit and receive gps data so when I get out of the car it still stays connected to the satellite which is critically important for me when exploring. IIRC Dual indicates the internal battery will work for ~8hrs.:)

In terms of signal reliability usually works ok but in my experience, it's not as reliable as I'd like. There have been many, many times where the gps never gives or stops giving gps data to Scenic Maps. I've confirmed this because when I view the Dual App from iTunes, it shows the GPS is still trying to connect to the satellites. This is in WIDE OPEN spaces where the GPS should connect.

The GPS will sometimes not connect when both Bluetooth and WiFi are enabled on my 16GB Wifi only iPad. You will have to disable WiFi in these situations to get it to work.

Overall, I'm somewhat satisfied with the Dual unit but if I had a better option the Dual would be going up in the Portal Classifieds/CL/Ebay.

BadElf GPS
I haven't used this GPS so I can't comment on it's functional effectiveness.

One thing that does concern me is it has to be physically connected to the iPad/iPod Touch. When driving off road, I do foresee the occasional possibility of something hitting it while it's attached and potentially breaking the GPS body/Connector or possibly damaging the connector on the iPad.

And like the Dual unit, I don't believe it uses a Sirfstar chip set or equivalent either.

GNS 5870
This is another bluetooth GPS that's IOS compatible. I don't know too much about it but I know they do offer more technical detail online about the gps unit (http://www.navilock.de/view/PDFs/60319_-_Datasheet/720).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles