What Is The Best Topo Map App For iPad

Andy@AAV

Old Marine
I just started using the Topomaps app on my IPad 2. I have the dual 150A bluetooth GPS receiver on the dash and the IPad mounted in a Ram suction cup on my wins shield.

Thus far the App does what it says, I have a moving display of my position on USGS quads. The maps are not up to date, but I've actually been able to use that to find old roads that are closed but still passable. Not many frills on the App, but if all you want is an easy to see map it works better than having 100+ large paper maps to deal with.

The Dual GPS status App is really useful. It shows the battery life remaining on the receiver, satellite signal strength and other useful information in a really slick look.

I was worried about the mount vibrating but so far it works really well, but I have yet to do anything crazy with the IPad mounted.

MagicMtnDan

2020 JT Rubicon Launch Edition & 2021 F350 6.7L
No posts or updates in over a year?! Is there a different thread on this topic I should be reading? (I'm looking to go with an iPad for my off road nav and want to see what apps folks like and recommend). Thanks!

nuclearmonkey

Observer
Assuming we're running an app that can handle importing various map sources (motion X), does anyone have a short list of the maps they end up relying on mostly while in back country? Playing around with different maps and sources, but it's difficult to see the advantages of one over the other when you live in South FL… I'm in the midst of planning a trip to CO & UT, but aside from zooming in to different parts of the state, it's hard to see where some map sources shine and others fizzle out.

summerprophet

Adventurer
I just jumped on the iPad navigation bandwagon, and I thought I would offer an update to using the "topo maps".

It is pretty nice. Topo maps/usgs aerial images/street maps are all included. It looks like they addressed the complains about not being able to see what you have already downloaded.

You can download 100000 tiles at once (which is about 1/4 of Washington state), and it takes about an hour for me (May depend on your internet speed of course).

It doesn't appear that you can get direction to a location, rather just see where you are, or finger drag to other locations.

Gives coords, elevation, heading, speed, and sunrise/sunset times (any two displayed at once).

I have all of Washington state/ the north half of Oregon, and the100000 tiles around Moab downloaded, and it together with all the basic small apps total 11 gbs.

For all my backcountry needs, this is exactly what I am looking for. This combined with a street gps (searchable address w. Directions) will take care of all my offline navigation needs.

RickyPaul

Thanks craig for this link and information. I think it is very difficult to find exact app that we want to get. Anyway nice help that you provided.

sweet trav

Adventurer
any updates???

...still using my delorme pn20 w/ topo 8.0 western region...but would like to transition one of our ipads to a vehicle expedition mapping setup.

jerdog53

Explorer
So I went with Avenza PDF maps for now on the iPad and a Proclips mount and will let you know how it went after this weekend.

intense1

Observer
So I went with Avenza PDF maps for now on the iPad and a Proclips mount and will let you know how it went after this weekend.

Any update? I'm looking for what to use with mine. Also, are there any more details about "topo maps"? I found no companies simply called topos maps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94