Propane Hot Water Heater

pods8

Explorer
Is the pump decent in those? I am really liking this setup. I have a Zodi and it has pretty much sucked the whole time and because it was a pain to use, it saw little use before it broke.

Jack

Looks to me like it requires a pressurized water supply.

jim65wagon

TundraBird1
Looks to me like it requires a pressurized water supply.

Yes, it needs to be pressurized. This is the setup in my truck. 21 gallon water tank, 12v Shurflo RV pump and a deep cycle boat battery. The blue hose runs to a quick connect fitting so I can go from a sprayer nozzle to the heater without drama.

2854294369_052fbd68b3.jpg

StaceyE

Observer
I have had one of these for about a year now but yet to try it out. Will be testing it out the first time at the Overland Expo.

jjohnsonphx

Observer
I talked to Mario at AT today. He said he likes his, but it's a bit fragile. He suggested transporting it in something padded like a Pelican case. So that made me wonder, Anyone who owns one, have you had any problems with the ruggedness of the Triton? And how do you transport yours?

FellowTraveler

Explorer
Ecco Temp

I've had the eccotemp for a year now, actually nice with proper water supply/pressure otherwise a PITA.

I'm considering heat exchanger now to eliminate need for fueled cold water heating. Engine waste heat works just fine, and even a short idle time will yield plenty of heated water for any need.

jim65wagon

TundraBird1
I talked to Mario at AT today. He said he likes his, but it's a bit fragile. He suggested transporting it in something padded like a Pelican case. So that made me wonder, Anyone who owns one, have you had any problems with the ruggedness of the Triton? And how do you transport yours?

My wife built a custom sized box that stores the heater, hoses, shower head, and our box of soaps.

4775763768_4cc281131f.jpg

The box doubles as the shower floor, 'cause there's nothin worse than gettin yer feet muddy after yer shower.......

4775129703_c8cedf4032.jpg

jjohnsonphx

Observer
I ordered a Triton and had some problems with shipping. Long story short, is that my money was returned. Now that I did a bit more research, I'm thinking along the line of a heat exchanger. I haven't made up my mind yet, but if anyone has any experience with both units, I would like some input.

And my wife could also learn from yours.

spressomon

Expedition Leader
I have the Helton Hot Water heat exchanger mounted on my LC and it works just fine; especially when its just me (but plenty capable to heat water for several showers easy enough). The big advantage with this one is its mounted under the hood; not interior space is used. The pump, hoses and kitchen sprayer I use for the shower head don't take up much room inside the rig. I pre-heat whatever amount of water I need in a Scepter and then pump it out for the actual shower. Then you don't, utilizing water conserving showers, get a blast of scalding water after the water flow has been turned off...

I also have an L5 that we take when the KK trailer is in tow. I prefer it when we have a base camp set up for several days to a week...its faster at heating the water and if you have an endless supply of water its easy to dial in the shower water temp you want and let it flow. I was on a straw bale building project last fall in Northern California and we had an L5 set-up for daily use. Out of the 25 folks there we had about 20 that camped out on-site that relied daily on the this set-up for our showers. It worked without fault for the 9-days I was there...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles