Mods to 05 GMC Sierra 2500

RacerJoe97000

Greetings,
I own an 05 GMC Sierra 2500 4x4 and am looking at some common sense mods to make it more outback journey worthy. I've got BFG KO tires, looking at and aux battery and compressor. I have a GemTop canopy so typically sleep in the back with a tent attached to the back. I've pondered a winch and different bumpers but not sure whether the cost is worth it. Also, I've pondered suspension mods - but truck seems to work ok for trips I've done which are mostly out into the deserts of SE Oregon and Nevada.

Any of your thoughts and experiences would be helpful. Always thinking about the next big adventure!!

Thanks
RacerJoe

Attachments

• gmc.JPG
    gmc.JPG
    381.5 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Hey Racer, I was just wondering what the BFG `KO´stands for? I know that bfg is bf goodrich. Is `KO´knock off, as in not original?;)

locrwln

Expedition Leader
I would recommend some type of steering upgrade. That is the biggest weakness of a GMT800 platform. The portion that ties the TRE to the Center link is only 14mm (pretty small really). You also need to add something along the lines of Cognito steering braces to keep the pitman arm/idler arm alive for repeated off-road driving.

I am looking at the full Kryptonite upgrade (when they are available, supposed to be sometime soon). $$$ but it will be the last time you have to address the steering.

My other issue is the front shocks fade out pretty quickly offroad (at least that has been my experience with mine).

My last issue would be fuel capacity, with the short bed, you only have 26gal, which is not very much with some of the distances you can find yourself in our areas.

As far as bumper/winch. I say if you can; do it. I have found that when I was out in the back country with my Landcruiser, when I got into something serious, the winch seem to be of more use than the lockers. I am talking about deep snow/mud type situations. The majority of what you will find for terrain in N. Nev. and SE Oregon is driven almost year around by ranchers/hunters in essentially stock trucks. It is only when things go really bad that you need the winch and when it does, not much else works as well.

Jack

RacerJoe97000

Thanks for the great information

Greetings All,
Thanks for all the information - extremely helpful. I never would have thought about steering upgrades. The naive part of me says - hey it's a 3/4 ton 4x4, it's built so it can be used off road. Fuel range was an issue that I've thought of, didn't realize I could get a bigger tank. I've always been puzzled why it gets 12.5 mpg, loaded or not - guess it's the rear end gearing.
I'll look into those. Next mod - IPOD jack!
Thanks again - happy exploring.
RacerJoe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior