aux fuel tank/pump question

rikinwyoming

Observer
I have a 2001 dodge quad cab 1500, 5.9 with a 25 gallon tank. I just acquired a 55 gallon in bed tank which will sit under my toolbox. The fill tube is on the drivers side as my other tank fill is,,, the breather tube (located on top) and the fuel line with petcock (located on bottom) are both on the passenger side.

I obviously have to run the fuel line back to the drivers side, drill a small hold in the bed to drop the line underneath, etc,,,, what I would like to know is suggestions on the setup to plumb it into the main tank. I was thinking putting a small 12v pump inline, and wiring to a switch in the cab so I can turn it on/off during driving to fill the main tank.

Any suggestions, diagrams, etc would be really useful. Keep in mind I am on a budget!

Thanks in advance,, and dang I love this forum!

bob91yj

Resident **************
Make sure the tank you got is rated for gasoline. Most in bed tanks are designed for diesel. I don't remember what the problem is off the top of my head, but I think there is a difference.

Edit: Just looked around Transfer Flow's site. It looks like the venting system is the biggest difference. For some reason I thought there was a tank materials issue between gas/diesel tanks.

Last edited:

GeoScum

Adventurer
Make sure the tank you got is rated for gasoline. Most in bed tanks are designed for diesel. I don't remember what the problem is off the top of my head, but I think there is a difference.

Years ago, DOT certified tanks for diesel, gas, lubricating oils and hydraulic fluid were all the same. Now with increasing pressure on manufacturers to meet CARB regulations, many tank builders are taking the easy path and stating that their tanks are not suitable for gasoline.

Except for possible issues with gasoline reacting with ancillary equipment and attachments such as impellers, hoses and pumps, there is no engineering or metallurgical differences with using a truck bed tank for gas or diesel.

And Big Wonderful Wyoming is very very unlikely to have any concern with CARB regulations.

rikinwyoming

Observer
Yep, we don't have any of those concerns. I will have to get some fuel line, a pump, wiring and a rocker switch for the cab,,, and get off my lazy butt this weekend and put this thing in!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior