6x6 w/ RTT

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
Are they 2.5 or 5 ton?

As alluded to by the OP, On a true Deuce and a Half, that is actually what the names means, it is a two and a half ton truck. Now, as I am sure you have seen, there are trucks that are five ton made on pretty much the same truck. I honestly do not know the differences.

They aren't exactly a picnic to drive, but I did know of a guy stationed at F.E. Warren, when I was there in '07, who drove his to work every day. (and parked in the busiest parking lot on base! How he managed to get that thing in and out of there, I have no idea.)

They are a lot like a Unimog, in that they are more like driving a tractor than a truck, you will NEVER get a speeding ticket in them, in fact you may get an impeding traffic ticket in one.

There was a guy online some time ago who built a really impressive expo rig out of one, wanted something like 130K for the thing (if memory serves), no idea if it ever sold.

Any rate, the most important thing to know about them is that you MUST love them, a LOT, to own one. If not then it will rapidly turn into the biggest money pit you ever suckered yourself into. Where as if you love it, you will feed cash directly into the engine if you have to! They are beautiful wonderful vehicles, and I personally love them!

For the OP,

Can we (please) get some shots of what you did for the interior of the motorhome version? Those are two of the most beautiful Deuces I have ever seen.

Thanks a lot for sharing them.

Used to have a place, Jax out doors, in Ft, Collins CO who always had three or four outside for sale, always asked about 5k for them. I have wanted one since. The story was bleeding far out of the way for me, but I used to drive by there every week or two just to have a look, drool a touch, and move and back home.

LowTech

Dirt Track Traveler
As alluded to by the OP, On a true Deuce and a Half, that is actually what the names means, it is a two and a half ton truck. Now, as I am sure you have seen, there are trucks that are five ton made on pretty much the same truck. I honestly do not know the differences.

That means that they can haul 2 1/2 tons of cargo in the bed, cross country, and 5 tons on the highway (that's how mine is data plated) the truck (mine) weighs in at 1300#. Her's is a bit more at 1500.

I'm not super clear on all the differences between the two either. I do know that 5 ton crane-trucks sure are sexy!

They are a lot like a Unimog, in that they are more like driving a tractor than a truck, you will NEVER get a speeding ticket in them, in fact you may get an impeding traffic ticket in one.

Any rate, the most important thing to know about them is that you MUST love them, a LOT, to own one.

I think they are more of a truck than a mog. Mog's are great at getting into, and out of, some crazy places. The Deuce is better for overlanding "stuff". IMHO
And you do have to LOVE them. They are made to work in some hostile places, terrain wise, and need to be work . . . and given attention! Most parts don't cost that much, but it can be kind of constant . . . $20 here, $100 there. For me lots of that is upgrades. Better rims/tires, dual alts, dif turbo. Even another tranny was a couple hundred used. Just mounted a hoist in the bed of mine, and will be adding more tanks (fuel & water) to both of them.
It would be like having an elephant that you kept in your back yard . . . just so you could say you had one, or a herd-dog that had nothing to do . . . if you didn't use them . . . problems. I believe that to have one you have to be willing to make it a BIG part of your life. For us that was perfect. We wanted something simple, K.I.S.S.,that would take us where we wanted to be and work as a Live-In rig. I don't really camp as much as just live out of rig/trailer encampment. These seemed perfect for what we needed . . . some kind of slow, strong rig that comfortably takes on gnarly dirt tracks . . . while packing enough stuff to live nicely.
Camping is when we go into some town, or city, to visit friends and have to park in their driveway or yard :sombrero:

For the OP,

Can we (please) get some shots of what you did for the interior of the motorhome version? Those are two of the most beautiful Deuces I have ever seen.

Thanks a lot for sharing them.

Thanks! There is a build thread here on the `portal. Here's a link M109 and I'll update that as I do more finish work.

Here's a couple from last night :ylsmoke:
11-03-05 (8).JPG 11-03-05 (5).JPG

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Looks like your kitchen is set up for some good food Low. Makes a guy hungry just looking at it. What is your favorite meal when you are out in the bush?:eatchicke:steak::REOutIceFishing::lurk:

LowTech

Dirt Track Traveler
Looks like your kitchen is set up for some good food Low. Makes a guy hungry just looking at it. What is your favorite meal when you are out in the bush?:eatchicke:steak::REOutIceFishing::lurk:

I would have to say that it is one that is shared w/ other travelers :sombrero:
It doesn't hurt if it has FRESH vegies :wings:

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Ok. I will see if I cant airlift some into your location. Can you send a satelite beam up to my ship? Just say, beam me up Scotty. :1888fbbd: Ok, just kidding....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94