White knuckle offroad sliders

sleeoffroad

Adventurer
@BIGdaddy - I agree with you--they are overpriced. Actually, EVERYTHING to do with this hobby is overpriced! :D

Everyone always complain about overpriced. I always extend the invitation that if you can produce them to the quality and standard that we require, at the quantities and turn around times that we need, I would gladly swap fab shops and offer them cheaper.

The biggest difference between us and WK is that we produce the product and put it on the shelve and it is ready to purchase at any time. I believe with WK and lot of the smaller shops they are made on demand. Unfortunately our way adds overhead and hence a higher price, but it adds a convenience factor for the consumer.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Everyone always complain about overpriced. I always extend the invitation that if you can produce them to the quality and standard that we require, at the quantities and turn around times that we need, I would gladly swap fab shops and offer them cheaper.

The biggest difference between us and WK is that we produce the product and put it on the shelve and it is ready to purchase at any time. I believe with WK and lot of the smaller shops they are made on demand. Unfortunately our way adds overhead and hence a higher price, but it adds a convenience factor for the consumer.

Not saying your's or WK's aren't quality products. Please understand that distinction.

I simply think that sliders shouldn't cost that much. I'm a jeep guy. I'm used to having 10 vendors with products that offer less/more options depending on what I want to pay.

Could I go out and drop big money on ARB or Warn sliders? Sure could. Will I get the same, if not better quality and customer service if I pay $200.00 @ a place like AJ's or JCR? I just might. Others definitely have.

Obviously 80's and 100's are MUCH larger trucks than Jeep cherokee's, but there's an example of on page 1 of a gent that used a "cheaper" alternative and seems to be a happy camper.

Food for thought. Maybe a "bantom weight" Slee slider, for those looking for "lighter weight, lighter cost, but the same Slee quality they've come to know." ? :)

You can use that line, and when they start selling like hotcakes, I'll put a Slee sticker on my Jeep. haha!:D

sleeoffroad

Adventurer
You can use that line, and when they start selling like hotcakes, I'll put a Slee sticker on my Jeep. haha!:D

That is the bottom line, right there. Never going to sell like hot cakes due to the sheer number of LC's sold vs Jeeps. It is a low volume market with it's own set of challenges and economic issues.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
That is the bottom line, right there. Never going to sell like hot cakes due to the sheer number of LC's sold vs Jeeps. It is a low volume market with it's own set of challenges and economic issues.

Right, I think that's my perspective too. So it's always been questionable to me why they aren't built to a lower price point via contruction or materials to avoid dissuading those who DO want to buy them, but can't or won't due to cost.

For example, my dad has owned both an 80 and a 100 series, and he always "considered" getting sliders, but never did due to the cost. It wasn't a matter of affordability, since he could definitely spare the green...it was simply a matter of not wanting to spend $500-$1000.00 on that particular piece of armor.

Maybe it has to do with the fact that sliders protect a non-critical part of the truck? (Bull bars protect the engine/radiator, skids protect the drivetrain, etc, while sliders simply serve to keep your doors straight and mitigate trail obstacles, serve as a step, etc. Important, IMO, but not critical depending on terrain.)

(BTW, the OP stated he'd made a decision, so I hope this is considered gentlemanly conversation, rather than a hijack...thanks!, and I appreciate the open conversation with a vendor, Christo. I appreciate your perspective)

sleeoffroad

Adventurer
Right, I think that's my perspective too. So it's always been questionable to me why they aren't built to a lower price point via contruction or materials to avoid dissuading those who DO want to buy them, but can't or won't due to cost.

The problem is that it is a 6k lbs truck. Making them cheaper would mean lesser materials and or lesser quality. If one does that and someone damages their vehicle, the feedback on that could be damaging. Very few people will admit, "Hey I bought the cheap sliders, but I trashed my truck". It also goes against what we as a company (and I can only speak for ourselves) has for a design philosophy. We strive to make the best quality product we can and still be able to offer it to the market. That is normally not the cheapest.

For example, my dad has owned both an 80 and a 100 series, and he always "considered" getting sliders, but never did due to the cost. It wasn't a matter of affordability, since he could definitely spare the green...it was simply a matter of not wanting to spend $500-$1000.00 on that particular piece of armor.

There are diy options available as has been shown. They primarily offer some metal that is pre-bent, but they require an investment in time from the buyer and substantially less material in cost and specifications. Hence the cheaper price.

Maybe it has to do with the fact that sliders protect a non-critical part of the truck? (Bull bars protect the engine/radiator, skids protect the drivetrain, etc, while sliders simply serve to keep your doors straight and mitigate trail obstacles, serve as a step, etc. Important, IMO, but not critical depending on terrain.)

I do not understand why people will gladly bay a certain price for a bumper, but not the same for sliders. There are normally two. And producing a bolt on unit with proper fitment is not any easier that producing a front bumper to the same spec.

(BTW, the OP stated he'd made a decision, so I hope this is considered gentlemanly conversation, rather than a hijack...thanks!, and I appreciate the open conversation with a vendor, Christo. I appreciate your perspective)

I hope so too. I am just sharing our philosophy and some insider details on the vendor side of things. Ultimately the consumer will choose what best suits his application and wallet.

Cackalak Han

Explorer

I was just merely stating that this is an expensive hobby in general. Not targeting you specifically. :)

But getting to the nitty gritty, are you saying that your sliders will last longer and put up with more abuse than the WK's? I have not seen either of them personally, so I don't know. Just asking.

sleeoffroad

Adventurer
I was just merely stating that this is an expensive hobby in general. Not targeting you specifically. :)

That is true
But getting to the nitty gritty, are you saying that your sliders will last longer and put up with more abuse than the WK's? I have not seen either of them personally, so I don't know. Just asking.

No, I was referring to peoples comments on costs and why our products are priced the way they are. I am referring to our cost to produce them, warehouse them, sell them and support them. Also the difference between shops that fab on a small scale and sell the items as they make them vs the way we do it. They have a different business model from us and can price items different.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles