White knuckle offroad sliders

Cackalak Han

Explorer
Been reading some reviews of these and they're all positive. I am looking for a set of sliders and naturally, Slee was the first stop. But the price of the White Knuckles caught my eye. They're almost half the price of Slee's.

Any experience with these sliders? Any reason to go with Slee's instead?

http://white-knuckleoffroad.com/toyota100series.htm

Extra funds saved could go towards an ARB bar from cruiser outfitter.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
I'm sorry, but sliders for FJ's are extremely overpriced.

There is a guy on Ih8mud that used a set of appropriate length Trailgear sliders (the longest set, i think) and had a TINY bit of custom fab work done to adapt them, and is rocking them on his FJ.

Here's the link to the sliders:http://www.trail-gear.com/rock-sliders You can measure and choose the length that suits you.

Look a bit further down the page in that link, and you can see that they sell gusset kits for like $20.00 that might be all you need to give to a fabricator to be able to bolt them on. (or at least a good very solid start to a mounting setup.)

Here's the link to the cruiser with them mounted. http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/137088-sliders-little-different-than-everyone-else-4.html

Edit: Sorry it's an 80, not a 100 like I thought, but that actually should make it easier because you don't have to get around the cat converters like this guy did.

Pics from the thread above...

_MG_2612.jpg

_MG_2620.jpg

Viggen

Just here...
I had IPOR make up a set of sliders for the 60 and they were worth every cent. 2"x4" square tubing under the rockers with a full length tube kick out welded directly to the frame.

Box Rocket

I'm sorry, but sliders for FJ's are extremely overpriced.

There is a guy on Ih8mud that used a set of appropriate length Trailgear sliders (the longest set, i think) and had a TINY bit of custom fab work done to adapt them, and is rocking them on his FJ.

Here's the link to the sliders:http://www.trail-gear.com/rock-sliders You can measure and choose the length that suits you.

Look a bit further down the page in that link, and you can see that they sell gusset kits for like $20.00 that might be all you need to give to a fabricator to be able to bolt them on. (or at least a good very solid start to a mounting setup.)

Here's the link to the cruiser with them mounted. http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/137088-sliders-little-different-than-everyone-else-4.html

Edit: Sorry it's an 80, not a 100 like I thought, but that actually should make it easier because you don't have to get around the cat converters like this guy did.

Pics from the thread above...

_MG_2612.jpg

_MG_2620.jpg

Hey that's me! Yep Trail Gear sliders and they're still working great. Minor fab work, but hard to beat the cost. I'm using the 67" sliders. They are not the longest ones. The ones for my Tacoma are longer than these.

2000UZJ

SE Overlanding Society
Been reading some reviews of these and they're all positive. I am looking for a set of sliders and naturally, Slee was the first stop. But the price of the White Knuckles caught my eye. They're almost half the price of Slee's.

Any experience with these sliders? Any reason to go with Slee's instead?

http://white-knuckleoffroad.com/toyota100series.htm

Extra funds saved could go towards an ARB bar from cruiser outfitter.

I'll throw my 2 cents in. They are the cheapest slider on the market for the 100 as of today. They offer a kickout, enough "slider" to provide a adequate step. The thing I love most about these is how far they stick out. I was in a parking deck and it was very tight. I came around a corner and cut the wheel a little quick. The concrete pillar was sticking out quite far and I nailed it. Thinking I took the side of my 100 off I got out and started cussing and swearing at myself. I looked, nothing, the slider sits out just past the door, even if you wanted to hit something you could not damage your 100's door panels. If you really want proof, I can go line up with a pillar again, I have been meaning to take a picture of it but I am sure you can find one. They are super tough, look good and angle up for clearance. The Slee Steps go directly out, the WK sit 1" above the Slee Step.

attachment.php

I have lift and tires, LX is stock minus Sliders. Account for my lift, but you get the idea of the WK angles

I wouldn't go any other route, why spend twice the money for metal tubing stuck together? John at White Knuckle has finally made a affordable slider with superior protection. You cut a corner in a parking deck with Slee sliders, bye bye door. (Slee, I am not bad mouthing your products. I will be buying your skid plates :D). I still think the best looking slider with most refinement is the Slee Slider. By far the nicest slider you can get, but they all do the same thing. Get ground down by rocks, covered in mud and get stepped on. Why pay more?

anthonycds

Adventurer
Well put Nick. WK sliders are on my list for the 100 as I think the kick-out is a great/impt. feature to have. I plan to go the bare metal route. I just don't think the $100 powder coating is worth it as others have said in the past.

ShottsCruisers

Explorer
The thing I love most about these is how far they stick out.

And for somebody who runs in rocks this is exactly why you couldn't give me a set of these for the 100-series.

These sliders rob you of a good 1.5-inches (at least!) of ground clearance vs Slee Tube Sliders. On a truck where the max lift height is under 3-inches I can't give the clearance away. The Slee's come out at a steep upward angle that gives you protection while gaining you clearance.

Plus you lose clearance in width as well. The 100 is wide already and can't afford to be wider.

Time and many miles have proven the Slee's will protect every bit of the side of your truck. Of course wierd things happen where damage can occur no matter what you have. In the AZ Rocks...I have to have the clearance more than anything.

44075093_2e8SW-L.jpg

44075329_8g5qc-L.jpg

231323439_2Th9n-XL.jpg

ShottsCruisers

Explorer
By the way...I wouldn't argue that same point on my 7+" lifted LX450. Plenty of both...clearance and narrowness. Either slider would work great in the AZ rocks.

cbradley

Adventurer
I have a set of White Knuckle sliders on my 4Runner. I have been really pleased with them. While I am still in the process of abusing them, so far they have shown to be built like a tank. John, the owner is a great guy to deal with as well.

Cackalak Han

Explorer
Thanks for the inputs. I am going to go with WK sliders.

@Shotts - I see your point about the extra clearance. However, if I were to get a set of sliders, they MUST double as a step (or it would cause dis-harmony in the fam). If I went Slee, it would be the step sliders, which means even less clearance than the WK's. I think WK's are a good compromise between the Slee Tube and Step.

@BIGdaddy - I agree with you--they are overpriced. Actually, EVERYTHING to do with this hobby is overpriced! :D

sleeoffroad

Adventurer
It all depends on where you measure ground clearance? If you are doing it under the pinch weld and rocker, it is much of a muchness.

Compare WK

Toyota%20100%20Series%20White%20Knuckle%20Off%20Road2.jpg

to
sliders_tube_3.jpg

Yes, outboard there are differences, but both sliders have to clear the pinch weld with about 1/2" clearance otherwise you have the slider hit the rocker when the body flexes. Both have the legs that attach the tube to the frame welded with the bottom flush with the main rail of the slider. So at that point it is the same. Outwards it might be different, but if you compare our tube to their slider it is the same clearance.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles