Usb gps

I am looking to get the national geographic topo software. I have a few questions what would you reccomend for a usb gps device for a net book and does the software allow you to track your expedition even when a data connection is not available?

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Many options are available for a USB GPS but I'd doublecheck with Nat Geo to ensure the GPS you're considering will work with their software.

I use their older software (I don't have the version numbers here) with the GPS that came with MS Streets & Trips software and it works fine. Unfortunately I have not been able to get this GPS to work with the newer Nat Geo Topo software even though technically it should work ok.

Alternatively, I've considered connecting my old Garmin Etrex Legend so I could also use it as a backup in the event that my rig fails and I need to walk out.:Wow1: As it is, I already carry it in back but just don't use it regularly.

As for tracking w/out a data connection I'm not 100% sure what you mean but I'll give it a shot...

If you mean a data connection between the GPS and the computer then the answer is no. You need a data connection between the GPS and the computer in order for it to get the required GPS data it uses to track your location.

If you mean a connection to cell towers or something, then the answer is yes, it will continue to track your location. A gps (even in cell phones) normally does not require access to cell towers to triangulate it's location. Some do use it to improve/correct errors but ultimately they don't 'need' cell towers to triangulate.

targa88

Explorer
Globalsat BU-353 (USB puck) + Franson gate emulator = works with my netbook (Garmin Nroute+Mapsource)

Salmon

I've been experimenting with my Garmin GPSMAP 60Cx and Google Earth, tethered to my smartphone for internet updates on my netbook. You can cache up to 2GB of Google Earth map data for when internet connectivity is unavailable. This setup is not perfect IMHO, but for me it works ok considering I didn't buy a single thing that I didn't already have. I downloaded a GE add-on freeware program called GooPS which is supposed to enhance the operability of the setup, but so far I can't get it to talk to my GPS. GE's included GPS connection feature works though.

TreeTopFlyer

Adventurer
Globalsat BU-353 (USB puck) + Franson gate emulator = works with my netbook (Garmin Nroute+Mapsource)

Same setup I have, I just use a different tablet. Fransongate is key. That way you can use mulitple GPS software at one time. I use Ozi, Google Earth, and S&T from time to time.

Pic1.jpg
[/IMG]

Chazz Layne

Administrator
I've been using one of these for the last 6 months: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Q-1000XT-BT-Q1000XT-Bluetooth-Waypoints-Vibration/dp/B00144PH1S/ref=pd_ybh_25?pf_rd_p=280800601&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_t=1501&pf_rd_i=ybh&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=12F3QAD2S46C77QRNJEN"]Amazon.com: Q-1000XT: Qstarz BT-Q1000XT Bluetooth Data Logger GPS Receiver (66 ch, 1-5Hz Update Rate, AGPS, 400,000 Waypoints, Vibration Sensor): Electronics[/ame]

I've been meaning to write-up a review on it (I'd give it 5-stars), but haven't had the time yet. It works with everything I've tried to connect it to on the computer-side so far including Overland Navigator, TOPO!, and GPSgate. I never take a trip without it now.

The big pluses for me have been:

- charges its battery while sharing via USB

- LONG battery life

- LONG track memory

- extremely accurate, and gets a lock just about anywhere (including indoors)

- built-in track log (redundancy)

- easy to grab it and go on a hike for on-foot tracking (thanks to the built-in track log)

- geo-tagging photos after the trip

brained

Adventurer
I've been using one of these for the last 6 months: Amazon.com: Q-1000XT: Qstarz BT-Q1000XT Bluetooth Data Logger GPS Receiver (66 ch, 1-5Hz Update Rate, AGPS, 400,000 Waypoints, Vibration Sensor): Electronics

I've been meaning to write-up a review on it (I'd give it 5-stars), but haven't had the time yet. It works with everything I've tried to connect it to on the computer-side so far including Overland Navigator, TOPO!, and GPSgate. I never take a trip without it now.

The big pluses for me have been:

- charges its battery while sharing via USB

- LONG battery life

- LONG track memory

- extremely accurate, and gets a lock just about anywhere (including indoors)

- built-in track log (redundancy)

- easy to grab it and go on a hike for on-foot tracking (thanks to the built-in track log)

- geo-tagging photos after the trip

What does the vibration sensor do?

craig

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
What is the output filetype? I saw these several years ago. Never pulled the trigger on it though.

From the description on the Amazon webpage it looks like there are several supported formats.

"Output your travel record as GPX / CSV / NMEA / Google Earth file format"

Chazz Layne

Administrator
What does the vibration sensor do?
In theory, wakes up the device when you move so it isn't wasting battery life while sitting still. In practice, I have never used it as the battery goes for a few days at least (and since I'm in the truck between hikes, mine is almost always charged up).

What is the output filetype? I saw these several years ago. Never pulled the trigger on it though.
"Output your travel record as GPX / CSV / NMEA / Google Earth file format"
Yep, several formats supported. This is the only minus IMO - you do have to have their software installed to pull the track files off. Not a big issue, since it is bloat-free, but worth mentioning.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94