Leaking CV boot fix

Applejack

Explorer
Both my CV boots are leaking grease. The boots are not torn, it seems that the clamps on booth sides have...........well, stopped clamping. Is there a good quick fix for this like taking the clamping bands off and replacing them with hose clamps?? Or should I do it proper, whatever that entails.

corax

Explorer
if you have this kind of clamp
18043_300.jpg

you can try to tighten it by squeezing the "nub" a bit tighter with an end cutting plier like this
misc27_clamping.jpg

or just cut off the old clamp and install a new one. BTW, if it's only a little bit of grease I wouldn't worry about it

Applejack

Explorer
if you have this kind of clamp
18043_300.jpg

you can try to tighten it by squeezing the "nub" a bit tighter with an end cutting plier like this
misc27_clamping.jpg

or just cut off the old clamp and install a new one. BTW, if it's only a little bit of grease I wouldn't worry about it

Yeah not too much I snap a illustrative pic when it stops raining outside.

slus

Adventurer
I've heard that big heavy duty zip ties work good. Not the metal ones, the heavy plastic. Hose clamps work too but if you tighten them too much they can rip through the boots pretty easy.

RusM

Adventurer
The hot degreaser or high pressure wash at the self-serve carwash will take care of that grease problem, they also take care of oil you drop all over your skid plates! :victory:

Here's what I used
Napa Part #
CV boot pliers 7769244
CV strap 686-5834
I cut the old ones off and reinstalled these new ones. $18 fix with a new tool.

WASURF63

Adventurer
Both my CV boots are leaking grease. The boots are not torn, it seems that the clamps on booth sides have...........well, stopped clamping. Is there a good quick fix for this like taking the clamping bands off and replacing them with hose clamps?? Or should I do it proper, whatever that entails.

I never had this problem with either of my Tacoma trucks and OME suspension, but did have alot of CV grease spitting from both sides right away after installing Toytec/Bilstein coilovers at 2.5" on my '05 Tundra. FYI, I had no boot tears, also put a 1" diff drop in, and they still blew ALOT of grease.

I packed the boots with new CV joint grease, replaced the original CV clamps with standard 2" hoseclamps and tightened them gently.
That was a few months ago and the CV boots are no longer leaking.

Not 4Runner specific site, but there is an excellent write-up on this topic here:
Scroll down to post #15 of this link for details.
http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/off-roading/15623-tundra-offroad-mods-and-tech/

dyogim

Explorer
As wasurf63 stated, standard hoseclamps from the hardware store are cheap, easy to install and adjustable. When I had my CV axles in my tundra, I replaced my factory clamps with hose clamps and had it on for 3-4 years without an issue.

jds0912

Adventurer
As wasurf63 stated, standard hoseclamps from the hardware store are cheap, easy to install and adjustable. When I had my CV axles in my tundra, I replaced my factory clamps with hose clamps and had it on for 3-4 years without an issue.

This. I did it a while back and its worked fine, never even came off in deep mud. Another option is to just get a new CV. They are reasonably cheap and it cant hurt to use your old one as a backup.

sseaman

Adventurer
I picked up some stainless steel bands at the local boat shop for a couple bucks and solved this on my CV boots

DCH109

Adventurer
I went off what one of the guys on the FJ Forums suggested. After my lift they leaked like crazy. Hose clamps worked, but watch on the type. you want the ones with the rounded edges so they do not cut into the boots.
Being lazy i picked mine up off a seller on ebay (look up FJ Cruiser CV)
fixed my leaks and so far no tears.
I will get the Clamp name and numbers when i get home.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94