Alaskan Ram

chasespeed

Explorer
Yep, can be done. We did this on Phils Taco about 2 years ago.... he didnt keep it.

I cant for the life of me remember who manufactured the racks though. The width was adjustable I think? I dont really remember. It was plenty strong though.... It was for a RTT, and at one point there was a few of us up there giving it a weight test...

Vangaurd makes a rack, and you get the optional side bars... cant find a weight rating though... but, you can remove it, without messing with the cap...

Though, I would think this is probably more practical....

Hauler-2-Cap-Rack.jpg

Rack over cap

Hope that helps... that rack is good for 1000lbs.....

Chase

AKTank

Observer
Thats exactly what i've been looking for. These are pretty common up in Alaska but seem to be pretty hard to find down here. JWalker, did you get your's down here in NC? What was the name of the place?
I'd like the rack to mount lights on, mount an awning and for camping gear etc. I think most of the racks are rated for around 1000 lbs. Perfect for what I need.

AKTank

Observer
That looks like just a regular tent on top of that ladder rack. Thats an interesting idea, I never thought of that.

chasespeed

Explorer
If you arent looking to put a RTT up there... I would probably go with the vangaurd rack system, with the beams that go front to rear...make a basket up top, mount your lights, and awning... I dont remember the rating of the vangaurd one... Its simpler, lighter, and cheaper... but, if you need the strength.... go with the one piece....That is probably what I would go with.

Anyway, if you can find a truck shop, or any upfitter in your area, they should be able to get you what you want....

Chase

Jwalker

AK Tank, I did not get mine in NC, I had to order it off the net. Mine is a little more narrow at the top so I don't think it would fit over a shell very well. The Brackets on the rear crossmember and the general inward slant from bottom to top would get in the way as you can see in this pic. There are several out there that look like they would though, the key to getting what you want over the net is to talk to someone that will give you measurements and stats since you can't take a tape measure to it yourself.

Attachments

• rear bed.jpg
    rear bed.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 34

Colby Jack

Traveler
Sweet Tank!

Yeah, those ladder racks are everywhere up here. They sell them at my local lumber yard. Most common manufacturer that the contractors use up here is Kargo Master. Just actually saw one at the pick n pull. Need to verify the length.

Colby Jack

kowal

hey, bought this truck off you a whiloe ago and was just wondering what exactly is on there in terms of ther rear bumber, because cant find anything close

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94