Wild to Mild? Discuss.

htek

Observer
I will also jump on the "steer clear" bandwagon.

That's a ton of money for a truck that old - especially one that's on it's THIRD engine, 1/2 ton axles, and all the reasons mentioned by others.

I would say your money is better spent elsewhere... take a truck and turn it into YOUR project - don't take someone else's project and turn it into YOUR problem.

It is a good looking truck though...

just my opinion.

bftank

Explorer
for $8500 i could by a nice stock burb for $3000, one tons for $2500, suspension for $1000, tires for $1500, and have $500 leftover for tranny work or interior stuff.

if he cheaped out on the wiring he cheaped out on the build. my guess is the wrap is covering rust.

avoid like the plague. better to build your own in my opinion. and there are better options out there.

DT75FLH

Adventurer
8500 is way too much for that Truck.

here is one for sale on pirate 4x4 right now (no relation to seller)

looks good in picks , new tires

1987 3/4ton Suburban 4x4 - - - 4" lift, brand new 36" Irock RADIALS (( $3,300 ))

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FOR SALE:

1987 Chevy 3/4ton Suburban 4x4, 5.7ltr, turbo400, 4" Rancho Lift, on BRAND NEW 36" Irock RADIAL Super Swampers and new 16" pro-comp rims. New Red Top battery, new y-pipe, and cat.

Just passed smog and ready to go-!!!

First $3,300 and its yours

wrigh003

Meh. Seller is buried in it, he needs to find an idiot/redneck/someone with poor decision making skills who LOVES everything he's done to it. Don't be that I/R/PWPDMS.

Find a newer/nicer/cleaner one for half the price (there have been two excellent candidates posted so far!!) and do what YOU want to it.

Also:
"Whooooooooooooooeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!! We don't even NEED a tree stand to poach deer!"

PsychoBurb

Observer
I agree, too much money for what's in that burb. It doesn't look horrible, and wouldn't scare me away, not if the price were about half of what the seller is asking for it.

Greggk

ZombieSoldier
be afraid... very very afraid. i would rather sport a stock burb then that hackjob. save your money and get real 3/4 ton burb with a diesel for less money. Then take the money you have left over andf do what you want to it. or just buy an early 2000's excursion with a powerstroke and call it a day, and have twice the vehicle the 6.2 or 6.5 td 'burb will ever be.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
That is a neat looking Sub. I am not usually a big fan of camo but it works on this Suburban. Certainly better than looking at dead, delaminated or rusted through paint. I know that I would love to have that front bumper! $8500 is pretty steep though. There was a clean 1989 ½ ton 4x4 5.7L TBI Suburban for sale here in Southern CO a few months ago that even had a cool front bumper almost like this one for $1500. Not $1500 for the bumper….but $1500 for the entire Suburban less the billybob decal package and ghetto wheels. I kept emailing the guy to see if he would separate the bumper from the Sub but he said no unless I was willing to give him $1500 for the bumper with a free Suburban attached.

6.2/6.5L engines are actually pretty neat. They aren’t really much for major towing and they are certainly no Cummins by any means but for the reasonable cost of them and the fact they don’t weigh much more than a big block GM gas engine make them a good choice in a play thing. I would love to build a Blazer with a 6.5L. Actually, my buddy and I built a 1990 GMC Suburban 2500 with a 6.5L outfitted with Banks goodies for another friend a few years ago. It was really a cool rig. Hated to give it back.

If you get it, I would definitely upgrade the rear axle to a 10.5” 14 bolt full floater and swap on a set of 8 lug rotors and backing plates to the front Corp 10 bolt (I did my floater and rotor swap for less than $300 years ago). Yeah, a front Dana 60 would be nice but in reality, if you know how to drive….you can get by with a decently built 10 bolt or Dana 44 in the front for many years. Oh, and one more thing…..do yourself a favor and do not use those ghetto 20” wheels…..and the naked lady on the rear window. Lol

If you are really worried about the wiring, M&H Electrical Fabricators can probably make you a complete engine harness with OEM connectors for less than $500. Interior harnesses are even cheaper.

Anxious to see what you end up doing. $8500 is steep but he probably has $3000 to $4000 wrapped up in the front winch/bumper and roof rack so even if you bought a $3000-$5000 Craigslist Suburban and added a nice bumper ($1800 to $2000), winch (~$1000) and roof rack (~$1000) you would eventually get close to the $8500 range before long anyway assuming you would add those goodies to whatever other Sub you might buy.

That all said, the only way these old rigs make good reliable get away vehicles is if you do all of your own work, otherwise you wind-up with $14,000 in receipts paying after paying for other peoples labor and markup on parts.

uberhahn

Observer
I had to pass guys. Your comments just re-inforced my gut feel anyway. I'm generally risk-averse and this had risk written all over it.

I went back to look at it/drive it to confirm and found a few more things that didn't sit well with me.

I don't have the time to tear-down, sell un-needed parts, rebuild, etc...

Love the sounding board here. Thank you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94