Wild to Mild? Discuss.

uberhahn

Observer
Have you ever taken a trail-only rig and transformed it into a overland/expo style vehicle? Essentially taking a "wild to mild" approach?

I have an opportunity to buy a heavily modified suburban with a 6.2 diesel, full turbo setup...

Has 6" lift, 20"wheels with 37" tires, built bumper, 12K winch, roof rack, viair, etc, etc

The problem is, I never really know how any of this stuff was put together. Most of the wiring is a mess. The owner didn't want to fix electrical issues as they came up, so he wired around them, etc

So, this is really a hypothetical question.
- Do you take the plunge and buy a vehicle because it has most of the goodies you would put on anyway and trade off time in re-wiring, de-modding
- Do you pay extra$ and spend less time
P1030549.jpg

P1030558.jpg

P1030559.jpg

The camo is a vinyl wrap. Easy to take off. Blue with and white underneath.

I know, to each his own. What would you do?

Discuss.

Last edited:

truck mechanic

Adventurer
for me it would come down to a) can you do the work yourself ? ( I have fixed other peoples electrical work, and it can get pricy if you have to pay some one) b) is it really what you want for a truck . and c) is the price rite.
just my .02
Paul

GlennA

Adventurer
That sounds like a fairly mild truck already. Buy it, make the electrical repairs (which are most likely simple), and modlfy it as needed to meet your needs.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
First off Uber, can we get some more details on the truck? A Surburban is a great vehicle, even in stock form, and I am assuming that if it has a diesel than it atleast is a 3/4 ton. It might possibly have one ton axels. Look at the engine oil. Is it clean? If it is an automatic transmission then check that oil too. If it smells burnt you have a problem. But most things can be fixed, including backyard wiring. I removed a whole garbage bag of aftermarket junk wiring from my old 78. Now everything works fine. How much are you paying for this gem, and what year is it? Does it have a solid front axel or independent front suspension? All these thing add up to if it is a good deal for you. This including how much work you are willing to do yourself. Last but not least, post some pics if you have them.:ylsmoke:

uberhahn

Observer
Chili,

the burb is a 1990 half ton with an '87 6.2 diesel with an A-team turbo. This is the 3rd engine in it from what I've been told. Orginial 350, then a built 408, then the diesel.

It has a 700R4, and a spare is being provided. I'm not a big fan of this "automatic transmission" business, and I would plan on a manual transmission swap in the future. I just enjoy rowing the gears more. Not about "what is the better choice for off-road" etc. If you enjoy it more, its the better choice.

The 3/4 ton axles are available. I'll post a picture shortly to have a more thourough conceptual discussion. All solid axle.

The beauty is that it is completely rust free (from AZ).

The purpose of the truck would be to:
- tow small travel trailer (18ft, only 3500lb)
- take kids (all 3 of them) along with the wife kicking and screaming, camping

Roughly only 6000 mi/year is what i envision actually driving it.

The buy-in cost is high at $8500. The seller has all of the receipts for all of the work done, and all accessories, totaling about $14K without the cost of the truck...

Argh...

Mamontof

Explorer
In my past when i have Finance budget trouble and need fix my truck , i was

simple drive to country side where Unique mechanic with golden hands starving

with out a work ...Man fix my truck i paid what he ask / we became friends :victory:

He make good fat cash in short period of time - and i safe hell of money and time to fix my truck to drive again :smiley_drive:

lstzephyr

wanderer
That doesn't actually seem that wild. Anything with 20" wheels on a half ton isn't really a all out trail rig imho.

As for the wiring, I have spent quite a bit of time rewiring vehicles. In general every vehicle I buy I end up remaking a new harness for it. It is just easier in the end than fixing the issues. I am getting to that point with my truck.

As for taking something wild and turning it into a street vehicle, I ride a plated 650cc desert racebike. Works fine for me, Its my streetbike.:sombrero:

Last edited:

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
For $8500 it would have to be *really* clean, and the previous work would have to be *really* good. No reason to buy into someone elses headache for that much $$$.

The fact that he has receipts for $14K worth of parts/work means absolutely nothing. *NOTHING*. Look at the individual components and their condition, value them at 10% of their current cost (don't include labor), and add that to what KBB or NADA values the vehicle at (BTW -- KBB puts it at ~$3,500, with the diesel, 20" wheels, winch, custom bumper & assuming "good" condition with 150K miles in southern AZ). Deduct $2500 for the expense you are going to incur to bring the electrical system back into line.

Also keep in mind that you are buying a 1990 model year vehicle that has a 1987 model year engine in it. Check with your local motor vehicle geeks and see if it can even be registered where you are at (FYI - in most states that require emissions tests as a condition of registration, this vehicle won't be legal because the engine is older than the vehicle that it was installed in).

In short -- RUN away. There are way to many vehicles that are newer than this, don't have the hack-job wiring (and if the wiring was hacked that bad, imagine what else was hacked together), and cost less, to even consider it. IMO of course.

:)

bob91yj

Resident **************
Price sounds steep to me...and I know about steep. I've got an '88 3/4 ton that I've been kind of sort of trying to sell. I want half that price, and I still think it's ridiculous. I'm into mine that deep with recent repairs/maintenance/tires, etc.

Biggest drawback to mine is it's a big block, and 2wd, 4wd was not available with the 454. Great tow rig for a family of 8, not so much as an expo rig.

Terrainist

Explorer
Can't believe you would even consider it with the family you've got. That thing is screaming mall crawling abortion, monument to stupidity, two guys with a case of beer and a motor under a tarp in the backyard, and you spending the rest of your life lamenting not only how stupid you were to buy it but how much money you spent on it.

Get a stock 7.3L Powerstroke Ford Excursion if you need something that you are hoping that Suburban will do for gawd's sake. It'd be 10 times the truck that money sucking black hole perpetually beached in the driveway because it doesn't run piece of junk is.

Just my opinion.

uberhahn

Observer
Terranist,

I agree with you, partially. The hardware work that was done seems to be done well. The owner is works in a machinist tool-shop and has access to tools/lifts etc to make hardware installation correct.

The wiring is where my concern is, in addition to the overall age/reliability. As you said, there are better options. I posted pics in the original post for reference.

In all honesty, if it was just me, I probably would have pulled the trigger already. But with teh Princess and three kids,... likely not.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Uber, dont let all the negative talk get you down. If you think the price is too high, then talk him down. Surburbans are great trucks, and the factory wiring is really pretty simple. Think of all the room you will have for your kids in that nice truck. Go for it my friend!:cool:

Little Red

Adventurer
What I be most concerned about is the 37” tires on half ton axels.
That’s really hard on the axels, depending on how long this guy has driven the truck this way, but most likely you will have to replace both front and rear axles.
I won’t be too concerned about the wiring unless it is really bad. Most of it is easy to replace if you know how to do it yourself. But the price is way too high.
Don’t get me wrong I really like the suburban and have one myself but I honestly think you can find a better one for way less, also “goodtimes” makes a good point about the engine not being the original, the VIN will show it has a 350 so you may run in to registration problems and if you have to do emissions in your state, definitely do not buy it.

In my opinion you are always better off building a trail or expo rig from a stock truck, that way you can make sure everything is quality built and the way you want it. That way you won’t have to fix someone else’s mess, temporary fixes and who knows what.

Just my 2 cents

chasespeed

Explorer
Uber.... I dont know where you are. But, in short, I would stay clear.

For that cost, I can pick up several Excursions in this area... from stock, to sitting on 37s.... Most of those are gassers one or 2 7.3s.... diesels just arent that popular in this area...

I have a hard time with the OLDER engine in the newer truck(potential reg and inspection issues later if not sooner). and from gasser to diesel, witha different vin.... nope....... stay clear... it wasnt done "RIGHT".

That diesel sitting on the 1/2 axles, WITH 37s is nothing more than a liability.

Things may LOOK well done. BUT, that is the easy part... if the wiring even makes you ask the question.... I would stay away. Too much potential for extra money to be spent on repairs to make it unquestionably reliable.

My 2 cents, take it or leave it.
Chase

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz