Expedition Samurai Build

sross

Adventurer
Well, I'm finally back from Iraq so work can finally commence on the Samurai. I arrived home to find my OME Suspension System waiting in my parents garage, but no Samurai. I borrowed a truck from my dad and drove out to the paint shop to see what was up. They were doing the last few finishing touches, so I'll be over there later this evening to pick it up! I went with dark green paint with a white roof and the wheels painted white to match the roof. With nothing better to do, I started getting the new springs and shocks ready to go installing the extra leaves in the front springs. I'll update later when I pick up the truck either this evening or tomorrow morning!

1205722503_xiZjU-M.jpg

1205721500_XFEws-M.jpg

sross

Adventurer
thanks, its good to be home! I'm going out tonight and very glad my parent's live in a college town :sombrero: I'm excited about the truck, and going to give my youngest brother a lesson in working on cars installing the new suspension tomorrow.

Last edited:

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Awesome! You will not be disappointed with the OME springs.
Times two on this. Replacing my Samurai's stock suspension with the OME setup resulted in the greatest single improvement I've ever made to a vehicle. Hard to believe it was the same vehicle; not a clown car any more.

Lucky j

Explorer
Welcome back!

I will be following your built. We don't often see a built on a smaller off road vehicule.:coffee:

Welcome home! and Thank You for your service.:clapsmile I wll be watching what you do, as I have always liked the samurais (i just picked up a rust free totally stock 87 tintop that passed emissions test first try for $1,ooo, and have one rust bucket totally torn down for slow rebuild). It will be interesting to see what you do.

Backroad Explorer

Adventurer
Glad your HOME SAFE and Sound Sross. I can't wait to see pic's of the new paint job and OME's installed. ExPo Sammy's gotta love them :safari-rig:

sross

Adventurer
Thanks for the "welcome homes" it sure is good to be here. I had to head back to base before the samurai was ready to be picked up but work will recomense on it this weekend. I am fortunate to be based only a few hours from my parents so I can get all this work done fairly quickly.

sross

Adventurer
I picked up my winch and bumper today, and unfortunatly, the Pierce 6000 lbs winch does not have the same mounting pattern as the Warn pattern already drilled into the bumper. I guess I read the specs wrong. Anyway, dropped it off at the local 4x4 shop today to have them drill new holes for me which will save me a lot of time. I'll paint it tomorrow after I pick it up. I also have picked up a travel buddy for the trip, a girl I met in Paris is going to come for at least part of the trip!

sross

Adventurer
I guess I didn't mention it earlier, but this truck is being prepared for a 2+ month trip to Central America. The whole plan is pretty open ended and unplanned at this time. All I know is on or about 15 April I'll be picking Emma up in St. Louis.

sross

Adventurer
Thanks Scott, although the start date had to be pushed back a month. Just when you think the military is done with you, they ask for more.

Scott, I'm interested in doing an article for OJ and will be sending the magazine an email quite soon about it. I assume the appropriate email is: editor@overlandjournal.com?

Anyway, uploaded the pics of the bumper and winch I meant to do yesterday. The shop hadn't gotten around to drilling my holes yesterday. Not a big deal, but I had hoped to paint it today.

1211186878_Hfiut-M.jpg

1211186216_TEAGs-M.jpg

1211187491_ZQY6x-M.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94