72 C/30 - 4x4 Cummins Conversion

spacer

Observer
I shared my ol' '74 K10 with a Border Collie/Coyote mix named Spock (pointy eared and too smart) for years, until one day, when I was on the road, his libido got the best of him. He was halfway out from under the fence when a feral mongrel jumped him.

Still sorry I sold that ol' truck, and however old I get, I won't ever forget ol' Spock.

ExpoMike

Fuel tank on the bed holds 66 gallons. @ 17mpg that will get me over 1000 miles!

Nice setup but at 66 gallons x $4.00 (likely low estimate) = $264 per fill up. :Wow1:

I guess if you have a 22 gallon tank and fill up three times to cover the same distance, the cost is the same but still I rather see my bill at $88, even though I do it 3 times. Just seems easier to swollow. :snorkel: :ylsmoke:

MrBeast

Explorer
Nice setup but at 66 gallons x $4.00 (likely low estimate) = $264 per fill up. :Wow1:

I guess if you have a 22 gallon tank and fill up three times to cover the same distance, the cost is the same but still I rather see my bill at $88, even though I do it 3 times. Just seems easier to swollow. :snorkel: :ylsmoke:

The difference is if I am traveling, I can top off my tank when I find cheap fuel.

if I can get it for 3.85 a gallon in Oklahoma City, and it is 4.15 everywhere else, wouldnt you top off every tank you possibly could?

MrBeast

Explorer
I shared my ol' '74 K10 with a Border Collie/Coyote mix named Spock (pointy eared and too smart) for years, until one day, when I was on the road, his libido got the best of him. He was halfway out from under the fence when a feral mongrel jumped him.

Still sorry I sold that ol' truck, and however old I get, I won't ever forget ol' Spock.

You never forget a good friend.

MrBeast

Explorer
Well I got home, got busy with it, started getting this built

frontxmembercad.jpg

frongcrossmember1.jpg
[/IMG]

Tonight at school I will be diving in and trying to get the rest of the pieces for it cut, then tomorrow hopefully by the end of the day I can have it welded up and under the truck.

I am also going to machine 2 plates that will go behind the frame and that will have multiple holes tapped into them so I have something solid to mount the front bumper to.

I also need to get some tubeing for reinforcing all the bolt holes, I have decided that every through hole in the frame will be made from a piece of tube welded in so as that I can keep the maximum ammount of streingth possible.

MrBeast

Explorer
Getting a little further: I finished cutting the pieces at school tonight.

frongcrossmember2.jpg

Tomorrow I need to modify one part slightly to clear the steering box, and then I will test fit it, and burn it all togeather.

Then I will be cutting the old 2wd cross member out, and rolling the dana 60 under and start work on getting it mounted up.

Right now I figure it is going to have about 2 1/2" of lift, and I am figuring on buying 2 1/2" springs for a total of 5" of lift, I figure with the weight of the Cummins it will actually be about 4.

Considering the truck was lowered 5-6" in the front, its going to mean lifting it around 10 inches from where it was when I got it.

Basement Yeti

Explorer
Nice work, it's pretty awesome to see something come from just a design to a tangible object.

Looking forward to seeing your build progress.

MrBeast

Explorer
Got it in and test fitted. It looks damn good!

frontmemberinstalled1.jpg

I am starting to get excited.

dana60onwrecker.jpg

I loaded the Dana 60 up on my wrecker, and I am going to take it over to a shop here in town that makes U bolts and get a new set made.

frontmemberinstalled2.jpg

When I get back from doing that and getting a little lunch I am going to finish welding the front cross member, and I am going to cut out the old front cross member so as that I dont have to clearence it for the cummins, and I am going to remove the 2wd front cross member and all the stuff that goes with it.

Then I will bolt the 4wd steering box on the frame, install the leafs and the Dana 60 and see how it all looks.

Tomorrow myself and a friend of mine are going out to get the cab and front clip, then we will be bringing them back here.

I ordered a new set of body mount bushings and bolts from ORD they will be here next week, Once I have those in hand I will be able to set the cab on the frame and get busy with getting the cross member to mount the Cummins built.

The goal is by the end of next week to have the engine set in the frame, and to be able to start making a list of what will be needed to get my NV4500 in there, as well as finish off the transmission to transfer case adapter I am working on.

I definately have plenty to do, but it is taking shape really fast.

Also tonight I need to make a rig for lifting my truck cab with the engine hoist so as that I do not damage it while moving it.

MrBeast

Explorer
Sometimes in life you reach milestones you have been waiting for for a long time, Today I reached one such mile stone with this project.

I have been waiting almost 3 years to get this axle under my truck and to get it back on all fours, that is how long it has been wounded laying around not even able to roll on its own tires.

axlein3.jpg

Well today it was able to roll out the shop door on its own wheels, and man it was a good feeling.

Axlein1.jpg

Tomorrow myself and a friend are going to get the cab, and over the weekend I am going to start getting the frame boxed, trussed, and hopefully by the end of next week the truck will have a cummins sitting between the frame rails with the cab bolted down.

Things on it should start moving pretty quickly now.

MrBeast

Explorer
Well today was another milestone day. I went out to the old place with my friend kirk and we got it loaded up.

OldPlace1.jpg

OldPlace.jpg

This is where it had sat for the last 3 years, makes me really sad thinking about it, but at the same time I am very happy to have my truck home now.

driveway1.jpg

driveway2.jpg

The rear end is a P-30 14 bolt out of a 87 step van.

I have a few decisions to make now, the 14 bolt has 4.11 gears, the dana 60 has 4.56'es.

I am probably going to be running a BF Goodrich Mud Terrain KM2 255/85R16

With the 4.11's the truck will cruise 70 MPH in 5th gear at 1982 RPM

With the 4.56'es it will run 2199 RPM.

The 4.11's will max out at 115 MPH @ 3500 RPM, the 4.56'es will be 103.44

Not quite sure what im going to do yet.

Last edited:

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
The rear end is a P-30 14 bolt out of a 87 step van.

I have a few decisions to make now, the 14 bolt has 4.11 gears, the dana 60 has 4.56'es.

I am probably going to be running a BF Goodrich Mud Terrain KM2 255/85R16

With the 4.11's the truck will cruise 70 MPH in 5th gear at 1982 RPM

With the 4.56'es it will run 2199 RPM.

The 4.11's will max out at 115 MPH @ 3500 RPM, the 4.56'es will be 103.44

Not quite sure what im going to do yet.

I'd go with the 4.11s. You'll have torque, you'll have gears - so the low end is handled. Get a little better cruise out of it. As for the difference between 103 and 115 mph - I'd never take a lifted truck to that speed anyway.

MrBeast

Explorer
I'd go with the 4.11s. You'll have torque, you'll have gears - so the low end is handled. Get a little better cruise out of it. As for the difference between 103 and 115 mph - I'd never take a lifted truck to that speed anyway.

I never have either, I swear! :smiley_drive:

One of the things that is gonna be kind of nice is I will have front and rear sway bars, the truck should ride damn good.

I have been leaning towards the 4.11's and if I need more low range, I can always upgrade to an advance adapters 4 speed box if I want to go nutty...

chasespeed

Explorer
Alright....

I have a healthy 12v.

I run 35s and 3.55s. Avg around 19mpg with the 35s.... 20mpg avg with the 33s.

I have no problem moving anything with my truck, tractors, boats, campers, etc....

I think 4.11s will be PLENTY. You should be able to comfortably turn 37s with those gears.

So, if your choice is between 4.11s, and 4.56s.... I would go with 4.11s.

A step low range would be nice, but, I havent found a need for it yet....1st in low..... with the phenomenal low end of the Cummins, has proved to be plenty...., though I am sure I will find a point where I wish I was 4:1 in the t-case.

Also, where are you looking to get springs from for the front?

Chase

MrBeast

Explorer
Alright....

I have a healthy 12v.

I run 35s and 3.55s. Avg around 19mpg with the 35s.... 20mpg avg with the 33s.

I have no problem moving anything with my truck, tractors, boats, campers, etc....

I think 4.11s will be PLENTY. You should be able to comfortably turn 37s with those gears.

So, if your choice is between 4.11s, and 4.56s.... I would go with 4.11s.

A step low range would be nice, but, I havent found a need for it yet....1st in low..... with the phenomenal low end of the Cummins, has proved to be plenty...., though I am sure I will find a point where I wish I was 4:1 in the t-case.

Also, where are you looking to get springs from for the front?

Chase

The front springs I have right now are out of a 77 3/4 ton, I have a spring shop here locally that can add a leaf or two to them, that is probably what I am going to do.

I have also considered going to 3.73's for fuel mileage, but the thing I have to consider is that this truck is going to spend a lot of time pulling a 34' airstream, while having a welding machine sitting on the flat bed.

So kind of not sure yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94