Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Solar Controller

Default Solar Controller

I'm building a portable battery box with a 400W inverter, some usb ports, and a couple of 12v cig adapters powered by an optima yellow top and a 48w old arco solar panel. I plan on using this as a standalone unit for trips/camping.

However, I'm not really on the up and up with regard to solar controllers. I'm looking for a cheap one that is reliable and won't over charge my optima. Any suggestions?
    "When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect. There is no other way for land to survive the impact of mechanized man, nor for us to reap from it the aesthetic harvest it is capable, under science, of contributing to culture." - Aldo Leopold

2001 Mitsubishi Montero Sport 3.5XS - 265/75R16 Cooper ATP, Aisin Manual Hubs, Bilsteins, Airlifts
    1999 BMW F650
    1990 Bianchi Bicycle - the daily driver

cheap and simple, these get good reviews for reliable/efficient -

http://www.altestore.com/store/Charg...ller-LVD/p799/
    '87 &'10 4runner
    '10 Tundra

I have the Brunton as seen in this thread.
    http://expeditionportal.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=28712

Inexpensive and does the job for not overcharging the batteries.
    I believe I got it off of Amazon.

I think this is probably the most popular solar controller out there for small one panel setups....

Morningstar SunGuard 4.5 amp 12 Volt Solar Charge Controller

It's small and cheap and get's the job done. Measures 1 1/2" x 2" x 2 1/2" so it might fit in your battery box.

backwoodssolar.com $33 http://www.backwoodssolar.com/catalo...s.htm#SUNGUARD

Northern Arizona Wind and Solar $30.47 http://www.solar-electric.com/sg-4.html

I would also suggest the Morning Star SunSaver 6. It is slightly more expensive, but it can be set to charge sealed or AGM batteries such as your Optima. The charging voltages for a flooded lead acid and an AGM ares slightly different, so using a charger/controller designed for and sealed battery will extend the life of your battery.

Quote Originally Posted by Rando View Post
    I would also suggest the Morning Star SunSaver 6. It is slightly more expensive, but it can be set to charge sealed or AGM batteries such as your Optima. The charging voltages for a flooded lead acid and an AGM ares slightly different, so using a charger/controller designed for and sealed battery will extend the life of your battery.
    about $40
    http://www.altestore.com/store/Charg...ntroller/p803/
    Jim
    4x4 Tourist

Trip reports are on my Blog: "Sun To The North"

Two Favorite Expo Quotes: "A bad day on the trail is better than a good day in the city" & "Bad days make for GREAT stories!"

Middle of Nowhere, Outer Skin of Space Ship Earth, 1 A.U. from Sol, Outskirts of Milky Way.
    FLA and AGM are generally the same as regards charging voltage - it's GEL that takes a different charging voltage.

The SunSaver manual is a bit goofy, in that it shows 14.1v charging for a "sealed" battery, and 14.4v for "flooded".

BUT - AGM and GEL are both "sealed", and for that matter some FLA are also sealed.

So ignore the "sealed" and "flooded" and set the thing for whichever voltage you need for your battery - 14.1v for GEL, 14.4v for FLA and AGM.
    Last edited by dwh; 03-07-2011 at 10:54 PM.
    Current: 76 E-250, bubble-top, self-contained|couple of old Yamaha enduros
    Previous wheelers: 41 Willys|78 FJ40|78 Bronco|84 Bronco|74 Ramcharger|78 Ramcharger|79 D150 PowerWagon|77 D100|79 D400 dually, converted to 4WD, utility bed, 10' Lance|75 Westy|69 Scout, RHD|bunch of others|bunch of bikes|couple of boats|couple of motorhomes|blah blah|so what|not my idea|just doin' what I'm told|wank wank|this space for rent|candy is dandy|but liquor is quicker

I'm probably just go with the brunton......it's more my price style lol. Plus the optima was/will be free if I can restore it (was down to 4.4V and sat for a year in a car).
    "When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect. There is no other way for land to survive the impact of mechanized man, nor for us to reap from it the aesthetic harvest it is capable, under science, of contributing to culture." - Aldo Leopold

2001 Mitsubishi Montero Sport 3.5XS - 265/75R16 Cooper ATP, Aisin Manual Hubs, Bilsteins, Airlifts
    1999 BMW F650

are any of these pulse controllers or are they all simply off at 14.5Vish on at 13.0V?

1999 BMW F650

The morningstar is a PWM (pulse width modulation) controller. I would steer clear of the Brunton as it appears to be a simple on/off controller, and not even Brunton seems to have a spec sheet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast