Solar Controller

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
I'm building a portable battery box with a 400W inverter, some usb ports, and a couple of 12v cig adapters powered by an optima yellow top and a 48w old arco solar panel. I plan on using this as a standalone unit for trips/camping.

However, I'm not really on the up and up with regard to solar controllers. I'm looking for a cheap one that is reliable and won't over charge my optima. Any suggestions?

NuggetHoarder

Adventurer
I think this is probably the most popular solar controller out there for small one panel setups....

Morningstar SunGuard 4.5 amp 12 Volt Solar Charge Controller

It's small and cheap and get's the job done. Measures 1 1/2" x 2" x 2 1/2" so it might fit in your battery box.

backwoodssolar.com $33 http://www.backwoodssolar.com/catalog/charge_controls.htm#SUNGUARD

Northern Arizona Wind and Solar $30.47 http://www.solar-electric.com/sg-4.html

sunguard.jpg

Rando

Explorer
I would also suggest the Morning Star SunSaver 6. It is slightly more expensive, but it can be set to charge sealed or AGM batteries such as your Optima. The charging voltages for a flooded lead acid and an AGM ares slightly different, so using a charger/controller designed for and sealed battery will extend the life of your battery.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
FLA and AGM are generally the same as regards charging voltage - it's GEL that takes a different charging voltage.

The SunSaver manual is a bit goofy, in that it shows 14.1v charging for a "sealed" battery, and 14.4v for "flooded".

BUT - AGM and GEL are both "sealed", and for that matter some FLA are also sealed.

So ignore the "sealed" and "flooded" and set the thing for whichever voltage you need for your battery - 14.1v for GEL, 14.4v for FLA and AGM.

Last edited:

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
I'm probably just go with the brunton......it's more my price style lol. Plus the optima was/will be free if I can restore it (was down to 4.4V and sat for a year in a car).

Rando

Explorer
The morningstar is a PWM (pulse width modulation) controller. I would steer clear of the Brunton as it appears to be a simple on/off controller, and not even Brunton seems to have a spec sheet.

bluejeep

just a guy
(nervermind- the links offer good info) does anybody know if the controllers mentioned above have a battery temperature compensation capability to them? My DEKA gel battery is supposed to be charged differently based on temp.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles