S10 Camper Project...

Bikemobile

Adventurer
I was going to build a drawer system until I crawled in my truck under the shell and realized that the ability to sit up is going to be important to me and essential to my wife.

What I'm Working With:
IMG_0554.jpg

Original Design Idea:
drawersystem.jpg

So I was thinking that some side boxes and a flat bottom would be better. I was talking with the wife about it and she gave me the green light for a nice roof basket to go with this setup.

New Idea:
boxes.jpg

2-4 boxes on the sides in the space in front of and behind the wheel wells.

Maybe boxes only behind the wheel wells for recovery gear on one side and a shelf for wet shoes, and other gear that needs to stay in the truck.

So im looking for your thoughts on what I will actually NEED inside the truck for a 4-5 day trip to moab. (for example)

Food, supplies all that stuff can be in a bin or crate while traveling but what needs to be in the truck while im sleeping? What doesnt?

My wife made these points to me at dinner:
1. Where we camp, you have to store your food outside of the truck to keep the bears outside of the truck.

so we dont need space for food in the truck while we are sleeping.

2. Roof basket can hold firewood, a shovel, scissor jack, folding chairs.

What else do I need space for in the camper?

TerryD

Adventurer
I had a long bed, 2wd S-10 I used for parts for a project in high school that had the exact setup you want to build. Tops of the side boxes were hinged and seperated into two compartments each. I wish I had pictures of it, but it was always piled full of extra S-10 parts, so I'm sure you couldn't have seen much of what was going on.

I always thought it would be neat to make a fold down bunk that was also attached to the tops of the boxes that when in storeage, would make little barriers to stuff soft packs and blankets/sleeping bags in, and when folded down, were supported by chain or cables back the topper and would make two bunks, about the width of a cot. I had also thought about putting a small wood/refuse stove in the front of the bed and exhasted thought the topper to provide heat/cooking in shelter during inclimate weather.

That's just food for thought though and I'll probably never get to do it myself as I'm working with a Jeep Cherokee now and need 100% of the back seat useable for my 3 kids.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior