Stock tie rod sleeves the sacrificial link?

Petros

So, I have read two view points: one states that the stock, split, tie rod sleeve is more likely to fail in the system than any other part; the other states that stock tie rod sleeves are stronger than the stock tie rod ends (inner or outer) and that it is the ends themselves that bend/break at failure within the system.

Can anyone give a decisive answer to the matter? Is a stock tie rod sleeve the weakest link and the most likely to suffer failure or are other parts within the system just as likely, or more likely, to fail.

Assumptions are stock everything (wheel/tire, suspension, etc.).

The reason I ask is that I am trying to increase safety and self-sufficiency on a shoe-string budget and it seems carrying a few replacement tie rod sleeves may be decent cheap insurance. When contemplating beefing up any one part of the system, it seems to merely shift the "weakest link" identity to some other part and I would be foolish not to replace everything -tie rods, center link, pitman, idler, etc., etc.

I have wheeled a lot in stock rigs and have never had a tie rod problem, but if I do I will likely be 150+ miles from home, out of cell phone, tow truck and taxi range:ylsmoke:.

Thanks.

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
All the tie rod problems I have seen come in shops have been the tierod end usually bending or breaking. The sleeve is very strong and the only ones I have replaced were because of the clamp being loose and allowing the tierod end and sleeve to jiggle around and damage each other over a long period of time.

i've been looking a the rare (name brand) tie rods for my 2000 nbs. cognito motorsports is another one to check out, but is quite pricey. try z71tahoe-suburban.com there si a thread on there that shows the stock and aftermarket tie rods side by side. huge difference between stock and aftermarket

i also have a tahoe, a 97 4x4, only thing iv done to it was 33 inch tires, no lift, and a 5 speed conversion, id just say carry a spare or two, iv never had any issues with mine, but thats just me

Rot Box

Explorer
I have never seen a tie rod snap right there before. I have seen them bend on several occasions and also break at the tie rod end before (yikes) when the tie rods are neglected. The thing that scares me the most on some of the IFS GM's is the steering column U-joints. My friend hit a bump in a dirt road once and broke one--I can't believe how small they are :Wow1:

That being said I think you're probably fine given the type of four wheeling a stockish Tahoe is capable of. It wouldn't be a bad idea to carry a spare tie rod and the tools required to change one out. Also you might want to find and make friends with a reputable alignment shop and have them look it over every so often if you do a lot of offroading. As far as tie rod ends you get what you pay for. I prefer Napa's higher end. Hope this helps,

Andrew

Petros

Thank you for all the input ... it would be easier if, as I had read a few times, the weakest part was indeed the stock-style, split sleeves and therefore I would only have to carry spare sleeves to ensure good steering after a stress/torque failure (which would naturally (usually) be focused on the weakest link).

I plan to go all moog and see how well we do. Never a problem yet as I am pretty easy on the equipment and try to pick the best lines over obstacles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior