Liquid Storage?

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
I'm searching for durable containers to hold fluids.

On long road trips and anytime I plan to go off the pavement I carry a square 5-gallon kitty litter bucket with a locking lid in the back of my vehicle full of spare fluids. This includes: engine oil, brake fluid, differential fluid, transmission fluid, coolant, radiator leak stop, and a few other things if they will fit.

The problem is that the original plastic bottle packaging of most of these fluids is thin and prone chafe, holes and leaking. It's not uncommon for one of them to leak after a few days on the trail, luckily the kitty litter bucket has thick fluid tight walls, so the mess is contained.

Does anyone have any suggestions on durable fluid tight containers that I could transfer these spare fluids to. I'm thinking of something like a Nalgen bottle - in fact Nalgene makes a line of lab and caustic liquid containers that may work, but I'm looking for more options. Flat sided square or rectangular bottles would be ideal for space management. Something with a flat lid that would allow for stacking.

Ideas?

:)

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
Dare I say this... but Wal-Mart has these metal containers for about $1 each that look like a MSR fuel bottle. That might work well for the cheap. It is their camping brand... Ozark Trail or something like that... It is bright orange and normally near the generic Nalgene bottles.

j_nigrelli

Adventurer
or MSR (maybe Sigg) fuel bottles?

they're spun aluminum and if you smash on of these i think spilled oil is going to be the least of your problems!

Danimal

Adventurer
or MSR (maybe Sigg) fuel bottles?

they're spun aluminum and if you smash on of these i think spilled oil is going to be the least of your problems!

I've put sizeable dents in 2 SIGG bottles, both times with the cap on and it wasn't a major hit. One of them was a big enough dent, I'd say I lost 50ml of capacity, easily. The aluminum crushes pretty easily...

Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne