I've left the Toyota Fold, AKA my Montero Build Thread

red87

Adventurer
I had the BFG A/T's on my old "03 frontier. I didn't like them much... I replaced them with Bridgstone revos and was VERY happy with the Revo's. Awesome wet asphalt grip.

Well my ATs should be be here in 4 business days so I'm committed now, haha. How did the Revos compare offroad?

Silverwulf

Adventurer
On my frontier (4x4 crew supercharged) the revos were better all around. Equal offroad, superior on road. The bfg a/t were bouncy and vague on the freeway, revos made truck feel like car on freeway. But that was freeway driving. I didnt get to do much offroad in that truck.
Back then I was a car guy that got a truck. That truck got wrecked, I got another car. Missed the truck ever since. Now I'm here with a monty!

Truck looks great! Send that POS brush "guard" my way!:sombrero:

I like the red better than my "Adriatic Blue" but its finally growing on me.

Glad to see more Yota converts here! More power, more beef, less money!

red87

Adventurer
First mod: floor mats! I think I've gone soft :yikes:

Anyway, I needed some decently deep rubber ones and CYi5 pointed me towards Costco. $18 got me a set of four mats that should catch plenty of dirt and keep my carpet clean. After all, they are the ULTIMATE FLOORMATS or so I've heard...

DSCF0941.JPG

They even almost match.

DSCF0942.JPG

I should have some pictures up tomorrow from the Monty's first trip off pavement under my care. In all honesty, the undercarriage was so clean when I bought it that I wouldn't be surprised if it was its first trip off pavement with ANY owner.

I should have some pictures up tomorrow from the Monty's first trip off pavement under my care. In all honesty, the undercarriage was so clean when I bought it that I wouldn't be surprised if it was its first trip off pavement with ANY owner.

I'm sure its been off pavement at a soccer field or two..... pulling soccer mom duties! :ylsmoke:

red87

Adventurer
(Not so) Funny story about the brush guard... I had it sitting in the back of my dad's truck along with the running boards for a dump run and he took it before I could tell him anyone was interested in it. Sorry folks.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Well, as far as the brush guards go, it's probably better it's now at the dumps than someone using it and getting a false sense of security from having them.

In anything but the most minor fender benders, Brush Guards will likely create more damage than protect your vehicle. The problem is, they are designed to be a cosmetic guard and in function, simply don't work as 'protection'.

I know... I used to have a nice $$$ Manik brush guard on my first Gen I. I sold it long ago to someone who wanted it and knew it was not really designed for impacting anything more than 'brush' and in a real accident would likely cause more harm than good.

red87

Adventurer
Well, as far as the brush guards go, it's probably better it's now at the dumps than someone using it and getting a false sense of security from having them.

In anything but the most minor fender benders, Brush Guards will likely create more damage than protect your vehicle. The problem is, they are designed to be a cosmetic guard and in function, simply don't work as 'protection'.

I know... I used to have a nice $$$ Manik brush guard on my first Gen I. I sold it long ago to someone who wanted it and knew it was not really designed for impacting anything more than 'brush' and in a real accident would likely cause more harm than good.

That's precisely why I removed it. The only thing it was good for was mounting lights and I can figure out a solution to that. In fact, I already did and will be doing so once I can figure out where I can run a couple wires though the firewall without drilling a hole.

Silverwulf

Adventurer
I have that gaurd now, only it has some damage to it. It is pretty flimsy. I am just using it for a light bar. If I can find a decent price on one. Will a bumper from a different truck fit with mods to the brackets? My old mad has a full machine ship and welding equipment.

Yeah, for ARBs, they are pretty much all the same bumper with different mounts. I saw someone mount an ARB designed for a Jeep Grand Cherokee to their monty. I think it might have been grasscat. I plan to do similar.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Absolutely.

I'm running Smittybuilt SRC bumpers for a Jeep JK in both front and rear. Grasscat did have the arb modded to fit.

In fact, I'll be upgrading to another bumper as soon as I can get a mount adapter built up. So you say, you have access to a fab shop? Rohnert Park's not that far away. :sombrero:

Silverwulf

Adventurer
Mostly engine machine shop. Rods, valves, heads, flywheels and the like. 99% import (bmw vw porsche audi and mercedes) BUUUUTTTT anythings possible. Also does brit bikes:elkgrin:

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Nice. At some point I need to do the valves on my 01 Audi S4 but that's a couple of grand and on top of that the turbos are past due to be replaced and I can already hear the bearing whine so, I'm not sure if it will be with doing all that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles