I've left the Toyota Fold, AKA my Montero Build Thread

Silverwulf

Adventurer
Tell me about it... I have an BMW E38 AC Schnitzer S7, and I need to do a 60k service and valve cover and oil pan gaskets. Even with my hook ups It will still be @$12-1400.00 Just before I got the monty, I replaced the shocks and springs with bilstein sports and H&R stage II springs...9 hrs labor @$100/hr. Not to mention the $ of the parts.... But now its extra :drool::drool::drool:

off-roader

Expedition Leader
The turbo's (2 of them) are $1300 ea. The R&R process includes removal of the engine to access them. Alternatively you can remove the rearward cross member but it's still very tight and difficult to access them. Most mechanics would rather simply remove the engine to get to them more easily and possibly save time.

In addition to the turbo's, the labor to do the valves is over 10 hrs (I've got low compression/probably burnt valves on both sides). The R&R of the turbo's does not help at all with the labor to do the valves.

Sucks for sure.

red87

Adventurer
Tires are here :wings:

I got my 33x10.5 BFG ATs mounted up today at America's Tire. They handily beat Tire Rack's prices AND I learned that their free replacement certificates also cover offroad damage. I've have bad luck with tires on my Death Valley trips so I opted to get the certificates. After the money they gave me for the tires that were on the Monty it was only $20 extra. Don't mind the spare not matching, I'm officially on the lookout for a used tire to stick back there. I don't want to be THAT guy at the mall; all the girls will laugh at me.

DSCF0943.JPG

DSCF0944.JPG

DSCF0945.JPG

CYi5

Explorer
Very nice! Those stock monty rims are pretty sweet, gotta admit. You get those tires dirty turning into your driveway? When's the lift getting ordered? Rubbing?

red87

Adventurer
There was some mud at soccer practice. No rubbing and the lift gets ordered once someone buys my truck. If anyone's curious, it can be found in the classifieds here :)

You'll find that you wont need a lift. I want the heavier springs in the back of mine so that I can carry a moto back there. Then I'll just crank the torsions.

Tires look good, but a wee bit skinny, and very exposexual! :elkgrin:
168483_588731939931_62002887_32982818_340257_n.jpg

Real meat. :Wow1:

I wish you were closer, I'd like to do a back to back comparison and write up on how the Montys perform the way we have them set up.

red87

Adventurer
Same here. I've got a KLR250 I eventually plan to stick on the planned-to-be-built rear bumper. OME's got my back there.

You're welcome to come out to the desert in the next few months so we can compare real meat with exposexual and see who comes out on top :sombrero:

CYi5

Explorer
You'll need to find someone running 285/75's to get that "Ahhh, this porridge is just right," conclusion.

red87

Adventurer
Locker testing. For science.

muletown%20rd1.jpg

muletown%20rd2.jpg

muletown%20rd4.jpg

Seems to work just fine. The more astute among you may notice the tires aren't the new ones. These pictures were taken with the highway tires the truck came with, not my BFG ATs. Even with those tires, I was still impressed. It may not be clear but that rut/ditch was deep enough that I was using the front skidplate as a ski of sorts. I had no idea until I got home and noticed all the mud pushed into it :elkgrin:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles