I've left the Toyota Fold, AKA my Montero Build Thread

Silverwulf

Adventurer
I got a obdII bluetooth dongle from ebay for @ $20 shipped. I can connect to iphone/android via bluetooth. I used to have a program called tourq on my android. it read EVERYTHING REALTIME.

Monterorider

Adventurer
Doesn't work in either of 3 OBD2 complient vehicles I own. I've got ODB2Pro USB that works great but wanted to get out of laptop business.

taylorRichie

Adventurer
I use the Kiwi Wifi OBD2 Adapter, Has worked great with my iPhone/ipad. There are several apps available, they vary on price, and capability.

The bluetooth adapters are a lot cheaper, and work with most of the iphone applications, they just weren't around when I bought my adapter.

I use DashCommand when i bought it it was around $30 I think it's now like $50 :eek:

red87

Adventurer
So any ideas about the crushed spark plug?

Small update, the plug I replaced it with is platinum but its not Denso or NGK. Guess we'll see how long it lasts.

off-roader

Expedition Leader

Small update, the plug I replaced it with is platinum but its not Denso or NGK. Guess we'll see how long it lasts.
Be prepared to replace it prematurely... You need iridium plugs, not platinum. Iridiums are designed to last 100k.

red87

Adventurer
That's what I figured. Luckily that one is one the "easy" side to access. I'm glad it wasn't one of the ones under the intake manifold.

BlueBomber

Adventurer

Not really. My guess (and it's only a guess) is that when it went in it might have been bumped to the point where the ground strap was almost touching but still able to spark. After it heated up or after enough carbon built up for it to close the gap the heat and voltage fused the metal together. Just a thought...........

red87

Adventurer
Oh, I didn't even think about that happening when it was installed. That's a good call. Makes me worry less, haha

stioc

Expedition Leader
No ideas on how it might have happened but do believe it's possible what BlueBomber and LaOutbackTrail posted or it was the wrong plug (longer). As for the code readers, I bought this $20 one as my 'to loan' tool to friends as I didn't want to loan out my good one. Since then I haven't used my good Actron, so easy, convenient and cheap. It's even CAN compliant.

On a separate note, I'm thinking of heading out to Camp 9 around Lake Isabella. I posted about it in CA section if there's any interest would love to explore the area with others.

red87

Adventurer
Welp, I think I discovered why my spark plug got smashed:

intake%u00252520butterflies.JPG

Found I'm missing one of the butterflies from my intake when I removed it this weekend. Funny thing is, the screws are still there, just no plate. Weird. Now that I'm already replacing that manifold and its off, I guess its time for all new plugs and wires too. It wasn't really that hard (except for one stupid bolt) to remove all that stuff, just time consuming and I'd rather just do it once.

Justice R

Adventurer
I'd stick a scope or something into the lower intake to inspect see what kind of damage the valve plate did, and if there are any remnants that still need to be removed. If compression is still good maybe you got lucky and it got spit out without doing too much damage.

red87

Adventurer
I was thinking the same thing but I'm not sure where to get a scope. I was thinking I'd stick a magnet down in the chamber and see if anything comes up. When I pulled the spark plug from that cylinder, it was all smashed again so something for sure got in there. Fingers crossed it just passed through without doing too mush damage...

off-roader

Expedition Leader
A well equipped shop should have a boroscope. I recall Costco was selling one for ~$150 but I rarely if ever need one so I never bought it.

red87

Adventurer
Bad news: cylinder 6 is toast. Compression is at like 40 psi or so so the motor is dead. I guess the missing butterfly valve did some damage after all. I'm not really interested in a rebuild or a motor replacement so I guess its time to sell. Anyone interested?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles