Maggiolina tent mounting

Flagster

Expedition Leader
Possibly heading out this weekend to look at a used maggiolina airtop. Want to make sure I can mount it to my truck if I get there and buy it. I have two fixed yakima bars on the truck cap (1A towers) and two on the cab that have some adjustment...
Is the tent mounting hardware u type bolts that would fit around the yakima bars and is there fore and aft adjustment?...Thanks
Matt

Attachments

• P1010198.jpg
    P1010198.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:

kai38

Explorer
Possibly heading out this weekend to look at a used maggiolina airtop. Want to make sure I can mount it to my truck if I get there and buy it. I have two fixed yakima bars on the truck cap (1A towers) and two on the cab that have some adjustment...
Is the tent mounting hardware u type bolts that would fit around the yakima bars and is there fore and aft adjustment?...Thanks
Matt

If this tent has the built in track underneath you can use Yakima snap arounds and the bolts that slide in the tents track to mount to the Yak. The tent I bought used was mounted to a Yakima system this way. He only had 2 cross bars with 2 snap arounds on each bar, but more the better.

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
Use the factory mounting hardware - it works fine with just two Yakima cross bars. I would NOT attach the tent to both the cab rack and the camper rack. You can put it on either one, but bridging the two will transfer flex stresses to the tent and this is not a good thing.

Call if you need any help.

Mike
888-852-2359

Flagster

Expedition Leader
Thanks so much...the cab/bed no no is just what I needed to hear...
Hoping to grab it this weekend...

Matt

Flagster

Expedition Leader
Guess the CL seller isn't too motivated...haven't heard back since the first reply...oh well...

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
These tents do not last long on Craigslist and resales are not that frequent - especially on newer models like the Air Top. Not good for you, but good for us, I guess, that people like the product.

Flagster

Expedition Leader
Yeah...I am just planning to order a new one...
Got new cross bars mounted up and I will call to order but how much front and rear overhang can the tent base support. I have a short bed topper and the cross bars are only 34" c-c apart...my math results in there being around a 2 foot overhang front and rear with an 80+" tent...is this too much?
Thanks

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
Yeah...I am just planning to order a new one...
Got new cross bars mounted up and I will call to order but how much front and rear overhang can the tent base support. I have a short bed topper and the cross bars are only 34" c-c apart...my math results in there being around a 2 foot overhang front and rear with an 80+" tent...is this too much?
Thanks

We like to see a MINIMUM bar spread of 30" More is better. I think that your Air Top will be fine with 34" of spread. The bottom is a foam/fiberglass sandwich and is quite strong and rigid.

I am running a topper on my short bed (6' 8" bed on the F350). My bar spread is around 40" - no problem.

abloggs

Hi Mike

Could you advise if 2 frontrunner roof bars would be sufficient to support a grand tour on a gwagen merc?

Also do you happen to know the height offset and width for bars mounted on top of RTT with the 'fix kit'. I'm hoping it's compatible with the lower bars

Cheers

Adrian

77cruiser77

Observer
i have my airtop on three yakima 1A bars. Mounted to two and rests on one of them. I took clear rubber like hose and slit it down the middle, then wrapped around the load bars as I found the sharp edges of gutter mounts were digging into the fiberglass.

I used yakima because I have a large surplus of the things floating around and they work but I intend to build my own gutter mounts and load bars to reduce fatigue on my gutter rails as I'm bouncing around on trails.

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
I am running a Front Runner rack on my 80 Series LC with the Air Top mounted. Works fine. You may have to work on the standard clamps to fit the FR bars. If you have a problem - call us, we can advise on mounting issues.

When you use a gutter mount system, and intend rough country travel, (don't we all?) use THREE bars and split some silicon tubing to put on the tower feet where they contact the gutter. If you go bouncing over rough roads, you'll want to be sure that the load bars to not crack the caulking in the gutters. I had this happen on my 60 series some years ago. Three bars, cushioning the tower feet, and careful securing of the towers to the gutters solved the problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior