Antenna Mounting with a FlipPac

NotAMog

Observer
I finally got the FlipPac for my '04 Tacoma. Had it out for the first time last weekend at TdS. I was pleasantly surprised how comfortable the mattress is. Compared to my previous experience in a '47 Kit Teardrop and a Pinzgauer is has a huge amount of room.

I'm curious to find out what other FP owners have done for mounting antennas. I need to mount a CB and 2m/70cm antenna on the rig. I can easily mount one antenna on the rear swing gate. I expect to put the CB antenna there.

That leaves the 2m/70cm antenna. My original thought was to use a Diamond K-9000 motorized mount on the side of the camper near the of the lid opening. This will require drilling the fiberglas. It would have to be back far enough to not interfere with the top crank.

Another option would be a lip type mount along the hood but since my truck is a standard cab the FP lid extends beyond the front of the hood. The answer to that would be have a lip mount that extends a few inches beyond the fender so the antenna will clear the FP lid when open.

Has anyone tried either of these ideas or come up with a better solution?

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
I had my CB on the front bumper, for the ham I'd use a fender mount ( the oem radio antenna on mine does not interfere with the FP)

I've got a cheap magnet mount that I throw on the roof for the rare times I use the CB. You could easily attach an antenna via a piece of flat steel bolted between the shell and truck bed. I've got a cable and antenna for this setup but have never bother to buy or make a simple bracket because I'm not convinced a CB is worth bothering with anymore. It beats nothing I guess, but the magnet mount works for that. I just move the antenna to the side of the b-pillar when I need to flip.

Jerry

Adventurer
Our Flip Pac is mounted to an 02 F-150, not the same as a Tacoma, but similar. I mounted the CB antenna on the LF fender, the 144/440 on the RF fender and the HF Ham Sticks to the winch mount. I also carry two sets of antennas, one short for the brush and everyday use, the others about 5' long for wide open spaces.

If in your case the FP lid is wider than the hood there are some options:

a. Mount the antennas on springs and pull them aside
b. Buy a ham antenna that bends 90* at the base
c. Use quick-disconnect mounts to quickly and easily remove the antennas

What do you do about your AM/FM radio antenna? `

I went through the thinking process of placing an HF whip on a ball mount on the side of the Flip Pac and decided against it. Even with aluminum plates on either side of the mount the fiberglass material is too thin to stand up to the possibility of tearing it off in the brush or eventually weakening the fiberglass by vibration. I called Flip Pac and asked Diane about the strongest place to mount an antenna and typically she said she would have the boss call back. Well, surprise, surprise, no call. Long story short, I decided to mount my HF antenna on the highest part of the winch mount bull bar.

If you plan on using your CB for other than communicating with your group it would be best to mount the antenna somewhere other than the swing gate. Much of the length of the antenna would be blocked by the Flip Pac. The front fender and/or bull bar are not much better, but at least those locations offer a little open area and ground plane. Personally I consider my CB radio an important part of my emergency communications plan so I want it to be as effective as possible given the conditions.

Last edited:

jjohnsonphx

Observer
I ordered and have not received my FlipPac yet, however in anticipation I have mounted my 2M/1.25M/70cm triband antenna on the drivers side fender of my 2008 Tundra with a Diamond universal lip mount. I ran a ground strap from the NMO mount ground to a body fender ground, because my radio was getting into my trucks speakers. I had to bend and modify the mount but it holds the antenna securely. By the way I ordered my FlipPac with a bit more clearance above the roof when opened. On the roof I'm using a Maxrad that is 3.5" tall for another radio. My HF screwdriver antenna will mount on my front bumper when I get that installed. The fender and bumper are not ideal locations for an antenna but my triband antenna is less than 1.5:1 SWR and that is good enough for me. Since the HF is a screwdriver type, the front bumper won't be a problem, because I can just re-tune the antenna at any time.

As for a CB antenna I would choose a location that is not obscured by the FlipPac or the cab of your truck. Metal and other objects in close proximity of your antenna will do nasty things to the SWR. Make sure you have a good ground and tune it up with a quality SWR meter. Also if you mount an antenna near a door or other object that move, make sure your test your SWR with that object open and closed. You will probably find that the SWR changes.

NotAMog

Observer
The top of the FlipPac is wider than the front of the Tacoma. I have to remember to pull the stock radio antenna off to the side when I open the top. I put a plastic thread protector over the end of the antenna to avoid scratching the top (again).

I generally only use CB to talk in a group when running with Jeepers since they all have CB and few have ham. The OAUSA group almost all use 2m which is far more effective.

I do like the idea of sticking a small steel plate on the top and using a mag mount antenna when I was better CB performance. The problem is when I'm running in trees the antenna can take a lot of abuse. The K-9000 mounts on the Pinzgauer have more than paid for themselves in not breaking antennas on tree branches. I just need to remember to lower the antennas before driving under the low branches.

Thank you to everyone for your input. I'll have to try a few configurations to find what works best.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles