anyone have a Trademan topper?

vplow

Hi all, just curious if anyone out there happens to have a Tradesman topper from Access Manufacturing? Wondering about your thoughts on it. Is it crazy heavy? I like the utilitarian styling.

http://accessmfg.com/

I came across them while researching ideas for my setup (getting a DC SB), and they happen to be relatively local to me (Bay Area). I inquired as to their weight capacities and they said they'll hold over 500lbs. They're custom made to order, so given that I'd be putting an AirTop RTT up there, it'd be pretty slick to have it setup with a very low profile rack, plus utility boxes on the sides.

TACODOC had mentioned the SnugPro as being a pretty nice idea for a topper/RTT setup. I wonder how the Tradesman stacks up to that combo.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

G100

Adventurer
I had one on my old truck and I got one on my current build also, so that tells you how much I like them. They make shells for Leer called the "Journeyman", which was what my old shell was labeled as, but it is much cheaper to go through access mfg. They are still pricey though, I was debating between ARE, Lifetime, and Tradesman and I am glad I paid the little extra for the Tradesman. The new ones are real nice with gas shocks to hold the doors open much better then the door catches. It was especially nice that they are custom built and they really worked with me and my ideas. As far as weight, they are built out of aluminium so they are not heavy at all. In fact I even pulled the thing off by myself once. I had a aftermarket paddel handle sent to them and they built the doors to accomadate it, it ended up being a real hassel so they probably won't do it again but I am soooo glad that I had it done. Here are some pictures of my old one, now almost 10 years old, and my new one. There are a lot more pictures on my build. Tell them the guy that had the pain in the a$s door handle, custom paint and front window hole, sent you. On second thought, maybe you shouldn't.

Truck_08.jpg

WindowsInstall39a.jpg

vplow

thanks for that info- you have a very slick setup! I'll definitely be giving access mfg a call when I'm ready to pull the trigger.

irish_11

Explorer
What rig are you trying to fit? I see Access, Gemtops and ARE for 2nd gen tacoma's for cheap on CL up here inbetween Seattle and Portland. You have a few options out there. I tried to find an access one, but I found a good deal on a six-pac and went for it. There are less options out there with a rear door for a 1st gen Taco.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles